Question Long boot times (pre mobo logo) and ram brands.

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
Just built my first PC.
R5 3600
RX 5600 XT
1tb intel m.2 drive
XPG GAMMIX D30 Desktop Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Black
Asrock B450M Pro4

My boot times are about 15 seconds pre "asrock" logo... Till then I get no input. I was reading about this somewhere and someone said about memory not matching the system, I didn't know that was a thing. When I checked out my memory closer on newegg, shure enough it said "Intel XMP 2.0" I dont know what this means... But I do know that something in my system in not quite right... Once the mobo logo is up its a 10 second boot, so windows is coming up nice and quick off that M.2 drive... I think its a bios setting of some sort, IDK. I changed ram speed/voltage in bios to 3200 and the 1.35 set automatically.

So two questions here.
  1. Do ram sticks have specific brands they are supposed to be paired with?
  2. Why do I have a 30 second boot on a brand new build with components that shouldn't take that long to boot?

Just built my first PC.
R5 3600
RX 5600 XT
1tb intel m.2 drive
XPG GAMMIX D30 Desktop Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Black
Asrock B450M Pro4

My boot times are about 15 seconds pre "asrock" logo... Till then I get no input. I was reading about this somewhere and someone said about memory not matching the system, I didn't know that was a thing. When I checked out my memory closer on newegg, shure enough it said "Intel XMP 2.0" I dont know what this means... But I do know that something in my system in not quite right... Once the mobo logo is up its a 10 second boot, so windows is coming up nice and quick off that M.2 drive... I think its a bios setting of some sort, IDK. I changed ram speed/voltage in bios to 3200 and the 1.35 set automatically.

So two questions here.
  1. Do ram sticks have specific brands they are supposed to be paired with?
  2. Why do I have a 30 second boot on a brand new build with components that shouldn't take that long to boot?
You need specific ram for mobo's if you google your asrock board and look under ram match compat list you will fimd what will work with the system

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
Ran two full passes, 0 errors.
Ran a SSDbench, 1800-1900+ mbps read/write.

I'm really trying to figure out what setting in bios could be causing the long boots. I'm planning on ordering a new set of ram sticks because I am really thinking the MOBO doesn't like the memory. But on Asrock's support page it does not list a matisse compatibility list... I kind of tapped out my fun-budget and telling my wife I'm possibly needing to replace a part is one thing, but I can't be spending money at a problem I can't be relatively sure I have a solution to... I'm willing to spend the money on a better branded Ram set, but I need to be able to tangibly know its gonna fix it, unless I just have to order it, install it, and see. (Only willing to do the last option here if I am 115% sure the ones i'm ordering will work well with the b450 pro4)

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
I just now saw that I have bios version 4.30 and 4.60 is the next and newest version. But there are tons and tons of warnings on the bios page of asrock's website. Should I update it? I don't want to brick my system. I only wonder if it has to do with the long boot time.

jt2281cc

Commendable
Jan 9, 2019
The ram installed is 16-20-20, I don't understand timings very well, but I know ryzen is picky... I just need to know if there is a replacement set of ram that will 100% be good with my system. And if this would/could be affecting a long boot time.