[SOLVED] Long distance

Dougnuts

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
My dad has a guest house that has spectrum internet and TV. At his main house he cannot get spectrum to run a coax down his road to the house. Well they will but they want a thousands. We have unobstructed line of sight between the main house and the guest house. I get how to shoot the ethernet signal using p2p. How would one shoot the cable TV signal over a p2p ethernet bridge?

Solution
Problem is the coax to ethernet converters are not doing what you think. You have MoCA devices that actually convert ethernet to a form of cable tv signal and then convert it back. This is the reverse of what you want to do. The other form of media converters are purely that. They convert from say RJ6 coax to RJ45 ethernet. They do not actually change the signals inside the cables. Even though tv channels are a form of data the way they are encoded is not "ethernet". You can in some cases change the media from coax to ethernet and then back and it can carry tv or say video from a computer monitor but the format of the data is not the same as a computer uses.

You can in theory transmit this over microwave. The...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
My dad has a guest house that has spectrum internet and TV. At his main house he cannot get spectrum to run a coax down his road to the house. Well they will but they want a thousands. We have unobstructed line of sight between the main house and the guest house. I get how to shoot the ethernet signal using p2p. How would one shoot the cable TV signal over a p2p ethernet bridge?
How much distance between?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would access terrain and distance with an idea towards doing a direct burial cable between, or perhaps a multi-pair data cable. The thing is whether in the first instance the cable company themselves would work with it since they didn't rip you off to install it.

Technically if the whole run isn't over ~1000' (default to 900 to be safe) you could run it from CAT.

We used to install some wireless camera systems that did full 4K/60 video wireless line up sight for up to miles. Had big square sender/receiver a whole lot like that TV system that was out a few years ago. It all worked really well but it was darned expensive in it's own right.

I assume you have looked at something like ubiqutii outdoor bridges.

The ethernet is what they are desigend for. The cable tv uses a completley different systems and is way too much bandwidth. You could if you really wanted I suspect leave the cable box in the main house and then use some form of capture card to convert the video output to a data stream. The other problem would be remote control of the cable box to change channels. Not sure the network part is pretty straight forward the tv part you are going to have to get creative.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If the two buildings can directly see each other. You can use laser wireless links:

Laser FSO Wireless Links (digitalairwireless.com)

I don't know anything about its pricing, but in one of my ex-jobs we used the technology to connect two buildings in walking distance but not at the same site. When it was foggy, or snowing we had problems. But it was rare for the city and as it was free the company used it for years.

I am talking about 20 years ago, so it is not a recent technology, but its usage is limited, so the prices might be expensive.

FSO IR Laser Wireless Links (airlinx.com)

Dougnuts

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Ubiquiti stuff looks good for the ethernet. I like the ease of use with their stuff.
Cant i get a coax to ethernet converter and hook it up like this:
cable in - coax-> coax to ethernet converter ->router ->ubiquiti long range equip -> ubiquiti long range equip->router ->ethernet to coax converter -> coax - cable box.
Im an field engineer for one of the big cellular companies. For connectivity to remote siites we use microwave shots. Anyone now of a user friendly consumer level microwave setup thats easy to configure?

Problem is the coax to ethernet converters are not doing what you think. You have MoCA devices that actually convert ethernet to a form of cable tv signal and then convert it back. This is the reverse of what you want to do. The other form of media converters are purely that. They convert from say RJ6 coax to RJ45 ethernet. They do not actually change the signals inside the cables. Even though tv channels are a form of data the way they are encoded is not "ethernet". You can in some cases change the media from coax to ethernet and then back and it can carry tv or say video from a computer monitor but the format of the data is not the same as a computer uses.

You can in theory transmit this over microwave. The problem is cable tv uses massive amounts of bandwidth. It likely is too large to fix into the frequciecies that wifi and other unlicensed wireless uses. If you work with microwave equipment you likely know that it is extremely expensive and even if you had the money they will generally not sell you the equipment unless you have a license from the fcc. There might be devices used to carry cable tv over microwave. Maybe it is possible to run it on the unlicensed freqencies. This would be something a small cable company might want. I have no idea where you look for stuff. You could try alibaba you can get lots of grey market stuff direct ship from china that you can't directly buy in the USA. Still I won't know what to look for, the cable tv boxes have 2 way communication with the cable company so not like a over the air tv signal.

The tv requirement is very similar to people that want to watch football games out their area they use devices like a sling box to sit between the cable box and the network. Been a long time since I looked those so I don't know if they are flexible enough.

Solution