[SOLVED] Long Ethernet Cable Issues

Jun 9, 2020
Hello ! I install a 50 m CAT 5e Ethernet cable, I receive signal in my computer, Ethernet is ON , but i have no internet. The modem blinks the yellow and green light. I crimped several times to avoid errors... It's failing the CABLE? Crosstalk? The cable is inside a PVC tube near to a another tube with electricity? Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
You should be able to look at the status of the ethernet port. It should show the connect speed. If it shows disconnected then it is a physical problem. If you see gbit then it is likely something software related.

Voltages and cross talk cause data loss but it is just bit errors. You would see poor performance and ping data loss.
In general you will not get any interference from electrical cables. You could even run them in the same conduit (against all building codes) and you likely would not see interference. It would be something like a big motor on the circuit when it start that would cause the problems or maybe something like the starter ballast in a florescent light. The 60hz AC power runs at is so low...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello ! I install a 50 m CAT 5e Ethernet cable, I receive signal in my computer, Ethernet is ON , but i have no internet. The modem blinks the yellow and green light. I crimped several times to avoid errors... It's failing the CABLE? Crosstalk? The cable is inside a PVC tube near to a another tube with electricity? Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!
What modem (or hopefully modem/router) do you have?
Was this cable terminated by you or by the factory?

Reactions: Flupo
Jun 9, 2020
What modem (or hopefully modem/router) do you have?
Was this cable terminated by you or by the factory?
sorry, yes it's a modem/router from my vendor of internet, the out ports are in function, I tested with short cables... and yes, the cables are terminated by me, because the cable going through walls, etc.

kanewolf

Titan
sorry, yes it's a modem/router from my vendor of internet, the out ports are in function, I tested with short cables... and yes, the cables are terminated by me, because the cable going through walls, etc.
OK. Terminating ethernet is a skill that requires practice. If you are terminating ethernet you should probably have a basic cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/
You need to follow the 568B color code and keep the untwisted wire to a minimum.

Jun 9, 2020
OK. Terminating ethernet is a skill that requires practice. If you are terminating ethernet you should probably have a basic cable tester -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/
You need to follow the 568B color code and keep the untwisted wire to a minimum.
perfect ! that's is the color code i use... I'm practicing crimping, and now i'm going to buy a cable tester... with this tester: I can test my crimping and also the continuity of the cable? thanks for your answers :)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^Super handy tool, that.

There are a couple of ways to terminate the end. Of course you can throw an RJ end on and just come out of the wall directly into the computer, or use modular plates, which I recommend because they are easier to terminate correctly. They make them for the consumer side that don't require a punch down tool and are color coded. Super easy to use.
You must be sure that your cable wasn't snagged or stripped by anything. Maintain at least 18" from voltage and/or cross only at 90* as much as possible. Running near to service cable will certainly kill signal. You should not run network cabling such that there is a hard bend in the wire. Always use loops when turning corners. If you used a staple you have to be sure not to put on wire tight, and also if using a narrow crown stapler that you didn't penetrate the wire.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
the 568B color code
Technically he could roll A on both as well, but at least he described the color code above which matches 568B

Terminating your own cables is kind of tricky, if you aren't experienced then it can take some work to get two decent terminations that will pass gigabit on a fluke or similar.
I receive signal in my computer, Ethernet is ON , but i have no internet
What speed did it negotiate to?

What cable are you using and what connectors? What are you using to crimp them?

Jun 9, 2020
Technically he could roll A on both as well, but at least he described the color code above which matches 568B

Terminating your own cables is kind of tricky, if you aren't experienced then it can take some work to get two decent terminations that will pass gigabit on a fluke or similar.

What speed did it negotiate to?

What cable are you using and what connectors? What are you using to crimp them?
hello ! the cable is a CAT 5e, the connectors are Kolke RJ45 for 5e, the Pinout is T-568B, and using a regular crimp tool. I buy the measuring tool for the cable and ALL the connector are ok, the 8 lights flash in sequence... Besides the crimp connection, perhaps my cable are broken? but the signal is coming and the remote and measuring tool tells is continuity...

Jun 9, 2020
I buy the measuring tool for the cable and ALL the connector are ok, the 8 lights flash in sequence... Besides the crimp connection, perhaps my cable are broken? but the signal is coming and the remote and measuring tool tells is continuity...

Jun 9, 2020
^Super handy tool, that.

There are a couple of ways to terminate the end. Of course you can throw an RJ end on and just come out of the wall directly into the computer, or use modular plates, which I recommend because they are easier to terminate correctly. They make them for the consumer side that don't require a punch down tool and are color coded. Super easy to use.
You must be sure that your cable wasn't snagged or stripped by anything. Maintain at least 18" from voltage and/or cross only at 90* as much as possible. Running near to service cable will certainly kill signal. You should not run network cabling such that there is a hard bend in the wire. Always use loops when turning corners. If you used a staple you have to be sure not to put on wire tight, and also if using a narrow crown stapler that you didn't penetrate the wire.
great tips, thank you :) perhaps my problem is the nearest with voltage, is an unused lamp but still there....

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something of note here...

If you are seeing the duplex lights on the modem and card going, and seeing "connection" but have no internet this points to a software issue/conflict, driver, things like that. Are you being assigned an IP by the router, or anything?

Jun 9, 2020
Something of note here...

If you are seeing the duplex lights on the modem and card going, and seeing "connection" but have no internet this points to a software issue/conflict, driver, things like that. Are you being assigned an IP by the router, or anything?
I think in that... but I create a short cable with the same RJ45 terminals and the same cable as used in the long distance. In both cases the IP is assigned by DHCP (I use Mac) and in the short cable no problem, but in the long cable no internet... perhaps in a long connection I must create another config?

Reactions: punkncat
When you are first learning to do this you will make a lot of bad connections. You can watch all the videos in existence but this is purely a practice things. You can feel the wires correctly slip to the end of the plug and you can tell when it properly crimped.

The length of the cable should make no difference......unless you are using CCA cable rather than pure copper cable. CCA cable is not certified because it has issues making good connections to the ends because of the dissimilar metals and the aluminum also causes issues with carrying the signal the required distance.

Jun 9, 2020
Hello to all ! here's the image of the different parts of my work:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n5T0ZDqRJN1ZfYkYvTfY0eOXhH9QfLkB/view?usp=sharing

I refresh all the test and suggestions:

- I crimped again both sides of the cable, and using the Cable Tester, the 8 lights blinks ok in both sides, but still with no internet.

- Creating a short cable with the same type of cable and the same RJ45 terminals, the self-assigned IP works well in the short cable, but in the long cable don't

In the photo I show the proximity to a Light and Voltage Cable, I list the possible problems:

• Perhaps is a "crosstalk" or "voltage" issue, capable of drain the internet connection?
  • Perhaps is a Configuration Issue of IP, when better is set the IP manually?
  • If in both terminals of the cable, with the Cable Tester all lights blinks ok, IS CORRECT if I assume it is NOT a Crimping problem or Cable breaks in the 50m long.

Thanks to all for your responses :)

I'm a little reluctant to say since I can't tell for sure even at maximum zoom, but it sort of looks like the blue/white and the green/white might be switched - of course this would have to be the same on both ends for the lights to light in sequence, so probably not - but it kind of looks like it.

If you have the right pinout, connectivity on all conductors, and real cat5 a 50m link shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Jun 9, 2020
If you have the right pinout, connectivity on all conductors, and real cat5 a 50m link
The correct Pinout for this application is T-568B right? And if the order is switched, for what I understand, the lights must be in alternance showing switched pairs.... Besides Crimping and Pinout... you think near to voltage, crosstalk or IP assignation is NOT the problem?

You should be able to look at the status of the ethernet port. It should show the connect speed. If it shows disconnected then it is a physical problem. If you see gbit then it is likely something software related.

Voltages and cross talk cause data loss but it is just bit errors. You would see poor performance and ping data loss.
In general you will not get any interference from electrical cables. You could even run them in the same conduit (against all building codes) and you likely would not see interference. It would be something like a big motor on the circuit when it start that would cause the problems or maybe something like the starter ballast in a florescent light. The 60hz AC power runs at is so low frequency compared to ethernet which is running at 125mhz if I remember correctly.

So I went back and looked at those cable crimps. It likely is not your problem but those are not correct. You want the outer jacket of the cable crimped into the base of the plug. When you have it done the way you do the wires are only being held by small metal pins and can pull lose over time. The crimp of the jacket prevents individual wires from being pulled free.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 9, 2020

In general you will not get any interference from electrical cables. You could even run them in the same conduit (against all building codes) and you likely would not see interference. It would be something like a big motor on the circuit when it start that would cause the problems or maybe something like the starter ballast in a florescent light. The 60hz AC power runs at is so low frequency compared to ethernet which is running at 125mhz if I remember correctly.

So I went back and looked at those cable crimps. It likely is not your problem but those are not correct. You want the outer jacket of the cable crimped into the base of the plug. When you have it done the way you do the wires are only being held by small metal pins and can pull lose over time. The crimp of the jacket prevents individual wires from being pulled free.
Perfect ! The voltage/crosstalk is not a main problem. In the picture, a bad crimped cable connected to the modem/router, that is a test cable, the correct crimping picture is the one I hold the cable. My modem/router only shows a Orange led light and Green led light, both functioning when I plug the 2 terminals, also the Cable Tester shows the correct sequencing, perhaps is a SELF ASSIGNED IP configuration? That can be the software issue?

Yes it could be a IP issue. These are harder to find since these can be driver issues also.
I would still check the status in the PC and see what speed it is connecting at just to be sure.

The cheap cable testers only find major issues they will not find more subtle issues. All it really is doing is putting a battery on one end a led on the other. Be nice if they someone sold a fluke meter device for a home user price but it must need some technology that prevent cheap knock offs.

Maybe you already did this, the thread is kinda big. Have you tried a short commercial cable in the same room as the router. It would quickly show if it is really just the cable or it some other device issue.

Jun 9, 2020
Yes it could be a IP issue. These are harder to find since these can be driver issues also.
I would still check the status in the PC and see what speed it is connecting at just to be sure.

The cheap cable testers only find major issues they will not find more subtle issues. All it really is doing is putting a battery on one end a led on the other. Be nice if they someone sold a fluke meter device for a home user price but it must need some technology that prevent cheap knock offs.

Maybe you already did this, the thread is kinda big. Have you tried a short commercial cable in the same room as the router. It would quickly show if it is really just the cable or it some other device issue.
Many thanks for all the detailed info, besides of the solution, all this data helps me a lot to figure it out, I will come to this thread just to put the final solution :)