Question Long-lasting portable gaming device for old titles?

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'd like to play old PC games on a portable device that has a long battery charge, games like Morrowind, Gothic II, Arx Fatalis, Heretic II & Thief II. The device should have either
  1. an integrated controller (ie similar to Nintendo Switch),
  2. an attachment to turn it into the former, or
  3. allows an easy gaming experience (ie a touch-device that its OS has a translucent overlay resembling a controller (that connect with the games)).
Optionally there can be power-management with which if I know if I'll be able to charge it relatively soon (ie 2 hrs after I start gaming), I can use more power to enhance the gaming experience (ie increase the resolution or use graphic options to make the game better-looking (ie anti-aliasing)). I don't need anything big, the size of a GBA would suit me. I'd like the charge to last 4 hrs (or more).

If for whatever reason Windows PC games would be difficult (ie using too much power for long charge), as long as the titles resemble the examples both in game-play and graphics (fun and relatively good-looking), I'd be ok with it.

Thank you for your suggestions or feedback

Last edited:
If you can get a steam deck that would be your best best. There are alternatives with x86 CPUs but they are much more expensive.
For cheaper and smaller you would have to get a raspberry PI with a handheld case
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-Handheld/s?k=Raspberry+Pi+Handheld
but that would be confined to DOS emulation, it can run up to win98 games so the games you want would be just out of reach.

Reactions: Why_Me

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Wasn't Morrowind available on Win 98? It looks like with Win 98 I could play Star Wars KOTOR & Battlefront, as well as Deux Ex: Invisible Wars, and the 1st editions of the 2nd ones in the OP; considering the amount I'd save from the Steam Deck, I'd be up for it. Would the battery last 4 hrs playing the former though?