Long Load Time Followed By Odd Desktop Behavior

Pyxus

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Problem Summary
Hello, im going to try to be as descriptive so I apologize for the wall of text... I've attempted to organize it a bit but I am more than willing to post whatever will help me narrow down, or better yet solve, this issue. In short, my computer takes a long time to load, if it does load the log in is completely blue devoid of my previous picture, my desktop sometimes appears black, my disk usage is high at 100%, and computer is overall dysfunctional. At the moment is is still very slow but this is the most control Ive had in the past 24 hours (things dont seem to randomly stop responding) so Im hopefully able to try any given solutions and fetch relevant info.

Details
Booting Up Behavior:
When the computer launches the boot time is painfully long, I haven't actually counted it but it is far longer than when my desktop was fully functional. Assuming it does load, there were several times where an infinite load occurred, Im greeted with an all blue sometimes unresponsive log in screen. I am able to enter my pin and log in seemingly fine but some times the desktop appears all black with even the task manager failing to appear.

Desktop Behavior:
Given enough time the black screen sometimes disappears and my desktop background appears like normal... however the computer is very slow, programs fail to launch often just not responding, the task manager does work but my disk is spiked at 100% for some reason, and I often cant open the control panel or file explorer. I have attempt to try resting from the control panel but the control panel just stops responding.

Before Problems Occurred
The last significant thing I did before my computer started behaving like this was install IIS and enable ASP.net, then restart the computer. After the restart it worked well enough to play overwatch, but while playing my desktop stop responding and turned black which lead to where I am now.

Solution
What you describe is problem with (one of? ) your hard drives,this happened to me and it was my secondary HDD I opened the case re seated both the power and data connectors and that fixed it,I moved the case before the problem occurred so my guess is that I knocked the case a bit and it was enough to nudge one of the connectors out of place enough for it still to be recognized as connected by the system but not enough for it to work correctly.
But it could also be that your drive broke due to wear and now has some bad sectors that slow down reading and the system tries to fix,you can run diagnose software that you will find on the hdd manufacturers homepage to see the health of the disk.
What you describe is problem with (one of? ) your hard drives,this happened to me and it was my secondary HDD I opened the case re seated both the power and data connectors and that fixed it,I moved the case before the problem occurred so my guess is that I knocked the case a bit and it was enough to nudge one of the connectors out of place enough for it still to be recognized as connected by the system but not enough for it to work correctly.
But it could also be that your drive broke due to wear and now has some bad sectors that slow down reading and the system tries to fix,you can run diagnose software that you will find on the hdd manufacturers homepage to see the health of the disk.

Solution