Question long overdue upgrade advice plz!!!

Sep 6, 2022
current system to be updated
GPU: gtx 1080
CPU: ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac
PSU:corsair 650 watt bronze
RAM: 32 GB corsair vengance lpx 3200MHz

I'm looking to do one last update to my current system before I have to do a full rebuild due to my current socket type. I game at 1440p and don't plan on making any jumps to 4k ever unless my current monitor dies. I am hoping to not need to upgrade my PSU unless its absolutely necessary to gain lasting performance. my current idea is to upgrade my GPU and CPU likely a 3080 12GB version is what I'm going to go with GPU wise. I am open to moving to a AMD GPU if thats going to get better bang for my $. I'm also stuck on what CPU to move to because I'm not sure what is compatible with my MOBO. dose any one have any thoughts/ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 650W is the advertised wattage and bronze is the 80plus efficiency rating. What is the model of the unit? Yes you will need a higher wattage PSU if you want to go with an RTX3080, more like 1KW unit. If you're on the latest BIOS version, you should be able to drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor.

You didn't mention your budget, your location and your preferred site for purchase.

Reactions: meatyklackers86

logainofhades

Titan
You are going to need a new PSU. Either a 5800x3d, or a 5900x, if you want the extra cores/threads, and a 6900xt would be solid upgrades. Both it and the 3080 12gb are similar in performance, with the 6900xt often a bit cheaper. Also the 16gb vram will help the card last a bit longer.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($384.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P6 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1224.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-06 11:14 EDT-0400

Sep 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair is the brand of the unit, while 650W is the advertised wattage and bronze is the 80plus efficiency rating. What is the model of the unit? Yes you will need a higher wattage PSU if you want to go with an RTX3080, more like 1KW unit. If you're on the latest BIOS version, you should be able to drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor.

You didn't mention your budget, your location and your preferred site for purchase.

I'm at work currently so I cant get the psu model # right now. I live in ND so we don't have a microcenter close by. I usually make my purchases through amazon or Newegg and occasionally get stuff from best buy if I see it their. I didn't really have a budget in mind but I think 1200 or 1300 is more then enough to get the job done. I Just updated my BIOS this weekend but their weren't any notes about 5000 series compatibility like they had back in 2019 when the 3000s came out.

logainofhades

Titan
I'm at work currently so I cant get the psu model # right now. I live in ND so we don't have a microcenter close by. I usually make my purchases through amazon or Newegg and occasionally get stuff from best buy if I see it their. I didn't really have a budget in mind but I think 1200 or 1300 is more then enough to get the job done. I Just updated my BIOS this weekend but their weren't any notes about 5000 series compatibility like they had back in 2019 when the 3000s came out.

Your board has ryzen 5000 support.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/support#cpu

Sep 6, 2022
You are going to need a new PSU. Either a 5800x3d, or a 5900x, if you want the extra cores/threads, and a 6900xt would be solid upgrades. Both it and the 3080 12gb are similar in performance, with the 6900xt often a bit cheaper. Also the 16gb vram will help the card last a bit longer.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($384.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT 16 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P6 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1224.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-06 11:14 EDT-0400
is that much CPU really going to be necessary for 1440p gaming? or is something like at 3700x going to be more economical? to put it another way is the juice going to be worth the squeeze for my current application? I'm not against this option you listed I'm just digging in to reasoning that's all.

I'm looking to do one last update to my current system before I have to do a full rebuild due to my current socket type. I game at 1440p and don't plan on making any jumps to 4k ever unless my current monitor dies. I am hoping to not need to upgrade my PSU unless its absolutely necessary to gain lasting performance. my current idea is to upgrade my GPU and CPU likely a 3080 12GB version is what I'm going to go with GPU wise. I am open to moving to a AMD GPU if thats going to get better bang for my $. I'm also stuck on what CPU to move to because I'm not sure what is compatible with my MOBO. dose any one have any thoughts/ideas?
If you want to stay with your current board then I would go with a 5900X. As others have suggested the PSU is not ideal for a 3080, you are quite likely to run into issues with your PC cutting out.

logainofhades

Titan
With a 6900xt, yes the CPU will still matter some, even at 1440p. Games are only going to get more CPU demanding. Just as an FYI, the regular 5800x is under $250, on Amazon, last I looked. I see little reason to buy a ryzen 3000 series chip, with the recent price drops, on Ryzen 5000.

As a side note, some games are poorly threaded, and even at 1440p, the CPU can be a limiting factor. I have this issue, in WoW. Despite having a 5800x, and an RX 6800, I still would benefit from a 5800x3d, based on numbers I have seen.

Get a quality 850w psu and a 3080 gpu and test

Sep 6, 2022
With a 6900xt, yes the CPU will still matter some, even at 1440p. Games are only going to get more CPU demanding. Just as an FYI, the regular 5800x is under $250, on Amazon, last I looked. I see little reason to buy a ryzen 3000 series chip, with the recent price drops, on Ryzen 5000.

As a side note, some games are poorly threaded, and even at 1440p, the CPU can be a limiting factor. I have this issue, in WoW. Despite having a 5800x, and an RX 6800, I still would benefit from a 5800x3d, based on numbers I have seen.
250 is a hell of a good price for a 5800x I was looking earlier and the 5700x was around that price so to get more threads for a similar price is a massive positive despite the jump in power draw. I do need to apologize I fat fingered my last post I ment 5700x not 3700x I have zero plans of moving to anything less then the latest 5000 series chips. I think the prices might drop even further in the coming months with the 7000 series release looming.

250 is a hell of a good price for a 5800x I was looking earlier and the 5700x was around that price so to get more threads for a similar price is a massive positive despite the jump in power draw.
Hate to burst your bubble but the 5800X and 5700X are both 8 cores/16 threads, I'd still get the 5800X but it would be the 5900X that gives you more threads.

Sep 6, 2022
If you want to keep the system long term get as much cpu power as you can afford. Either the 5900x or 5800x3d. I’m on 5600x now, and performance is great with that, but I think I want to go 5900x in the next few months and from 16gb to 32gb ram and hold out with my 6700xt.
that was my plan with the 1080 i have but with the 7000 series looming and the change in socket coming I'm kind of at a cross roads.....update now or do a full new build next summer.....im hoping to save he $ in the short term by updating rather than spending double in 12 months.

Well if you think you want to go new socket in say a year, you could just pick up a ryzen 5600 or 5600x now. I recently got a 5600x for about 160. Then that will give a pick me up and you can always resell later. I’m considering as I said a 5900x, or depending what Intel 13th gen looks like maybe I’ll go that route.

Sep 6, 2022
Well if you think you want to go new socket in say a year, you could just pick up a ryzen 5600 or 5600x now. I recently got a 5600x for about 160. Then that will give a pick me up and you can always resell later. I’m considering as I said a 5900x, or depending what Intel 13th gen looks like maybe I’ll go that route.
I'm thinking ill likely go with the 5800x3d I'm hoping to hold off doing a full build as long as possible. our family is going to be growing soon (were trying for #2) so now is my small opening to spend a little before our finances get more difficult. after a few years I should have the funds built up again to do a full build 🤞

Sep 6, 2022
to add another wrinkle to this what is everyone's thoughts on cooling? specifically CPU cooling.....water or air? I'm assuming most are on the side of liquid cooling but what's that going to do to my PSU issue would 850 still be enough with the added draw of the pump and extra fans? i currently like the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 or I could stick with the hyper 212 that I currently have.

to add another wrinkle to this what is everyone's thoughts on cooling? specifically CPU cooling.....water or air? I'm assuming most are on the side of liquid cooling but what's that going to do to my PSU issue would 850 still be enough with the added draw of the pump and extra fans? i currently like the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 or I could stick with the hyper 212 that I currently have.
The AIO pumps only use a few watts, same for fans. It doesn't really change the situation with the PSU. The bigger concern is transient spikes from a high end GPU:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ&t=245s

That's why it's important to pick your PSU wisely. The Artic cooler you mention is a good performer, I would upgrade the Hyper 212 if your going for anything more than a 5700X. A 420mm radiator though is huge so you need to be sure you can fit it. A Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 would be good alternatives if you wanted air cooling.

I’m opposite on cooling personally. I always prefer air, seems like less to go wrong but that’s just my opinion. A lot of folks use liquid with success. For power supply I currently have a Corsair rmx 850 that seems pretty good.

To add another wrinkle, it may be worth asking about a 12600k. I say that because you might be able to get that and a board for the piece of the 5800x3d. I think the 3d would have better performance today but would the board allow a 13th gen cpu later?

Personally, I think the 5800X would be a good option. The X3D version can definitely outperform it in some games, but realistically, the differences that the extra cache chip brings will tend to be unnoticeable in most titles at higher resolutions like 1440p. There are some games like Far Cry 5 and Borderlands 3 that can see big double-digit performance gains even at 1440p, but in most other games they will tend to perform within a couple percent of one another at that resolution. The X3D is not necessarily a bad option, but in most cases I feel that extra $150+ might be better put toward other components, or maybe saved for a future upgrade.

Also worth asking, you mention gaming at 1440p, but is it a high-refresh rate screen, like 144Hz? If it's only a 60Hz monitor, then the image on-screen will only update 60 times per second, minimizing the benefit of getting really high frame rates, and in turn making the X3D less worth considering even for the titles that can benefit from it.

As for the 5900X, it's possible that games might benefit from the additional cores some years down the line, but as of now they don't, at least not to any notable degree. It is also clocked slightly higher, but not enough to make more than around a 2% difference in CPU-limited titles compared to the 5800X. Unless one has a specific non-gaming workload in mind that can utilize the extra cores, the 5800X might be a better value.

If you go the route of the 5800x, consider the 5700x as a budget alternative or even the 5600x as thus far I don’t think a lot of games show a large difference between the two. I’m using a wraith prism cooler I already had previously and my 5600x will sit at 56.8 degrees under full load during Intel cpu burn test. At least that’s the highest temp I saw it hit according to hwmonitor.

Sep 6, 2022
Personally, I think the 5800X would be a good option. The X3D version can definitely outperform it in some games, but realistically, the differences that the extra cache chip brings will tend to be unnoticeable in most titles at higher resolutions like 1440p. There are some games like Far Cry 5 and Borderlands 3 that can see big double-digit performance gains even at 1440p, but in most other games they will tend to perform within a couple percent of one another at that resolution. The X3D is not necessarily a bad option, but in most cases I feel that extra $150+ might be better put toward other components, or maybe saved for a future upgrade.

Also worth asking, you mention gaming at 1440p, but is it a high-refresh rate screen, like 144Hz? If it's only a 60Hz monitor, then the image on-screen will only update 60 times per second, minimizing the benefit of getting really high frame rates, and in turn making the X3D less worth considering even for the titles that can benefit from it.

As for the 5900X, it's possible that games might benefit from the additional cores some years down the line, but as of now they don't, at least not to any notable degree. It is also clocked slightly higher, but not enough to make more than around a 2% difference in CPU-limited titles compared to the 5800X. Unless one has a specific non-gaming workload in mind that can utilize the extra cores, the 5800X might be a better value.
Yes it's a 144hz display I occasionally use a 42in 4k Samsung TV when I play ACC or dirt rally 2 but I truely don't mind lowering the resolution a bit when I use that.

Sep 6, 2022
If you go the route of the 5800x, consider the 5700x as a budget alternative or even the 5600x as thus far I don’t think a lot of games show a large difference between the two. I’m using a wraith prism cooler I already had previously and my 5600x will sit at 56.8 degrees under full load during Intel cpu burn test. At least that’s the highest temp I saw it hit according to hwmonitor.
My original thought was to go with a 5700x due to is lower power draw and in the end may still go that route depending on how/when sales happen and when funds are available.