Long Range 900MHz Wi-Fi 'HaLow' Standard Approved By Wi-Fi Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
and now I need another radio in next AP. Ah well, hopefully it works much better than the 2.4Ghz band for coverage. Any word on theoretical throughput?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I was going to buy a new router and usb dongle but I will now wait for the 802.11ah from a reputable brand to be released. Been on the old N for too long now.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I was going to buy a new router and usb dongle but I will now wait for the 802.11ah from a reputable brand to be released. Been on the old N for too long now.
Unless you have a device other than your smartphone that uses AC, you don't need to upgrade (and sometimes not even then).

I actually have the power output of my router turned down so that it reaches every corner of house, but turned down to minimize how far outside the house it goes. That's the first layer of security.

If your router can reach around your block, you're asking to be hacked, or even worse, if you leave it open with no password, they can do illegal things on your network, but the police will only knock on your door and take you to jail.

Now, if you lived next to a close friend or relative, you can share the cost of the internet and the added range will be a huge benefit for that type of situation.

There are some issues with the 900MHz band though. It is a more narro band so speed will probably be lower than 2.4GHz maximum. One real issue though is the amount of devices that use the 900MHz band. It is still a lot:

Hobbyist radios
Two-way radios
Cordless phones
Baby monitors
Municipal SCADA (Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition)
Remote control of broadcast television cameras
Tabletop wireless gambling/gaming machines
RFID readers
Wireless LAN point-to-point bridge links
Sodium vapor lighting and other sources of spurious interference

There is a lot of possible interference unless they can get a specific area of the band reserved for WiFi only applications. Distance will be its major benefit but throughput will be lower than 2.4 or 5GHz band devices.

CtrlAltSup

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Most obvious source of interference in the 900mhz band is, to me, GSM/UMTS but that leaves some room for unlicensed spectrum which is what the devices mentioned by Jimmy use.

There is interference between digital TV and LTE in adjacent bands. Can someone say why this would fare better than the 2.4ghz actors, particularly in densely populated areas?
Waiting for an informed read of the http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/specifications

Is it too much to ask for something more than reheated press releases?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I was going to upgrade anyway so having the newest revision is nice. Only upgrade it every 5+ years so getting the newest WiFi is good idea so it's future proof. Also it will still fully support the 2.5 & 5ghz so no problems with the slower 900. Distance is more important then speed when your Internet is only 7Mb :p

and now I need another radio in next AP. Ah well, hopefully it works much better than the 2.4Ghz band for coverage. Any word on theoretical throughput?
Based on looking a few years ago at 900 mhz long distance outdoor repeaters, I'd have said 1 mbit/sec tops. But googling I see devices like this one:

Revolutionary 900MHz 2x2 MIMO AirMax TDMA Performance:
100Mbps+ Real Throughput using 20MHz wide channels
40Mbps+ Real Throughput using 10MHz wide channels
20Mbps+ Real Throughput using 5MHz wide channels

http://dl.ubnt.com/newsletters/0123a.html

hannibal

Distinguished
It can take a couple of years until we see first ah-devices in the market. How long we have had for example hdmi2 standard and now we are getting devices for that... Also the ac standard did come before the real devices, though it did not take very long time, because there were nonstandard versions in the market before final specks.

People please read: "The new standard is meant to be used in smart homes, connected cars, digital healthcare, as well as in agricultural, industrial and smart city environments."

This is not intended for data transmission as you are thinking, more an extension of Zwave or Zigbee, home automation etc where trigger signals are required I believe the current standard for this is 433MHz

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
You did the right thing for you wallet and got maybe more comfort than if you moved to wifi AC. The difference between theoretical speed and practical speed has never been as high as with AC...
Nothing beats a cable and if you have to use WiFi, using AC over N only offers a benefit when you are in the same room as your access point and not too far from it. In all other cases, Once you increase de distance or obstruct the view with concrete or even bricks, the venerable N performed much better than AC ... by a serious margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.