[SOLVED] "Long range" point to point connection to an outbuilding ?

Nov 29, 2021
I'm interested in "beaming" wifi between 2 points on my property using possibly home-made yagi antennas. The points will have line of sight with no obstruction. And worse case they'd be 1500 feet away from each other. I was hoping for a reliable connection that isn't constantly cutting out, and enough bandwidth to stream a "trail cam" setup. I initially need to buy a wifi adapter of some sort with an external antenna connection to test how far and reliable certain locations are but do not know what would be a good one with maximal tx power. I've looked at an Alfa AWUS036NHA but everything I read on it pertains to hacking wifi so there may be something better suited for what i'm doing (also I don't know if I have to be running linux to tell the Alfa to utilize maximal tx power). I'm assuming 2.4ghz is best. I have a router that I popped apart because it doesn't have removable external antennas. I disconnected 2 out of 3 of the antennas and it seems to not make a difference (for a single connection).

Solution
Many years ago people used alfa stuff to capture wifi data. That time is long gone with encryption. Alfa tries to pretend their stuff is higher power but it can't exceed government limits to be legally sold and almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum.

You are wasting your time making home made antenna. This is the same stupid stuff when you see people still using pringles cans even though they are no longer metal.

Antenna connected via cables to equipment is the old way to do this. The cables lose a huge amount of signal unless you buy extremely expensive ones. The new method puts the electronics in the antenna enclosure and uses PoE for power.

Although many companies make point to point out door bridges one of...
Many years ago people used alfa stuff to capture wifi data. That time is long gone with encryption. Alfa tries to pretend their stuff is higher power but it can't exceed government limits to be legally sold and almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum.

You are wasting your time making home made antenna. This is the same stupid stuff when you see people still using pringles cans even though they are no longer metal.

Antenna connected via cables to equipment is the old way to do this. The cables lose a huge amount of signal unless you buy extremely expensive ones. The new method puts the electronics in the antenna enclosure and uses PoE for power.

Although many companies make point to point out door bridges one of the more popular ones is ubiquiti nano station loco. You can get a pair for about $100. It will easily do 1500 feet.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
1500 feet may be more than nanostations will do reliably. Might want PowerBeam units rather than NanoStation -- https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/powerbeam-5ac-gen2 It will depend on the desired throughput.

Depending on conditions these have a theoretical range of 10km. I have used in a production environment far further than 300m. The older loco M2 or M5, I would agree. The PowerBeam units have a range of up to 25km and 300m might actually be too close!

Raul_McCai

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2014
Ubiquiti NS-5ACL NanoStation AC Loco
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to be able to hear my doorbell in my back on my tractor or wherever.
I went to Amazon and they negative reviews are pretty bad. It guys can't install it the preconfigured ones arent And the mark up on amazon well that's another thing but really I'm wondering this is the best there is?

kanewolf

Titan
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to be able to hear my doorbell in my back on my tractor or wherever.
I went to Amazon and they negative reviews are pretty bad. It guys can't install it the preconfigured ones arent And the mark up on amazon well that's another thing but really I'm wondering this is the best there is?
Please don't hijack a thread. If you have a question please start your own thread,

Get a RING or similar video doorbell. It'll alert you on your cell phone if anyone rings the bell and even send you a picture. You can then 2-way communicate with them from your tractor.

Wifi won't radiate over a large farm field. Maybe a few hundred feet but not a large field. If you have further questions, start your own thread.

Blackink

Distinguished
I'm interested in "beaming" wifi between 2 points on my property using possibly home-made yagi antennas. The points will have line of sight with no obstruction. And worse case they'd be 1500 feet away from each other. I was hoping for a reliable connection that isn't constantly cutting out, and enough bandwidth to stream a "trail cam" setup. I initially need to buy a wifi adapter of some sort with an external antenna connection to test how far and reliable certain locations are but do not know what would be a good one with maximal tx power. I've looked at an Alfa AWUS036NHA but everything I read on it pertains to hacking wifi so there may be something better suited for what i'm doing (also I don't know if I have to be running linux to tell the Alfa to utilize maximal tx power). I'm assuming 2.4ghz is best. I have a router that I popped apart because it doesn't have removable external antennas. I disconnected 2 out of 3 of the antennas and it seems to not make a difference (for a single connection).
Would you mind telling me what make and model of Trail camera(s) you're using?
I use a Browning Recon Force Advantage trail camera and a Wildgame Innovations Rival 18 Lights Out trail camera.
Love 'em!! (But the Browning is much better than the Wildgame)