Long Range Wifi adapter to wireless router

asllani94

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I have bought a long range wifi adapter which connects to my computer by a usb port. I use it to connect to a far away non-password protected wifi. The thing is I can only use it in my pc. I want the community to help me to find way on how to connect it to a wifi router in my house in order that I can use it in every device. Somewhere I read that a bridge would do the thing but I dont know any brigde that takes a usb as an entrance. Could you please help me to find a cheap solution for this problem?

Updated:
I found a scheme on the web that converts an usb port to an ethernet port. here it is
Immagine.jpg

Solution
You can't convert a USB port to ethernet port. You can connect to a rj45 plug but that does not make it ethernet.

I could probably connect a USB to a electical plug too but that wouldn't mean you could run it over your electrical mains like powerline. It would just fry the usb device and might start a fire.

The actual way the data is sent on the wires is completely different

The key is to not use USB. Most routers want ethernet for the WAN interface. You can get a outdoor bridge from ubiquiti or engenius for fairly inexpensive and plug it into the wan port of your router. Which exact model you need will depend on if you need 2.4g or 5g and the distance you need to go. You will find lots of information on both sites.

asllani94

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

I updated the question. I found a way on how to convert usb to an ethernet port. Would that work if I connect it to the wifi router directly?

You can't convert a USB port to ethernet port. You can connect to a rj45 plug but that does not make it ethernet.

I could probably connect a USB to a electical plug too but that wouldn't mean you could run it over your electrical mains like powerline. It would just fry the usb device and might start a fire.

The actual way the data is sent on the wires is completely different

Solution

TRENDING THREADS