[SOLVED] Long running GPU issue

Mar 26, 2020
Hey guys!

So my issue has been on-going for some years. so please forgive te short background story! :)

So my issue first began around 2017 when I was playing Battlefield 1 on my pc.
I could still hear the sounds and Discord however, my monitors completely shut off!
I tried rebooting and all was fine for a week before my pc refused to turn on past the bios.
I reformated windows 10 and it booted up fine untill we updated windows, it would crash, then we'd have to reformat again.

We tested the RAM in another system, was fine, we stress tested the GPU in two other systems, was fine....
We reformat the pc once more and disabled automatic windows updates and the system was fine.

Not long after my pc began a bios error set of beeps but the beeps weren't in the book ( I also forgot how many beeps it was as its stopped now and this was 2 years ago).
My pc then began freezing after starting up. then the monitors would shut off, followed by an actual pc restart.

I got sick of that and eventually swapped out my GPU for an older GPU and had 0 issues since, I decided to try my new GPU again. Booted up fine when I first installed. stress tested with FurMark for 30 mins - no issues again.
Come home from work today booted up the pc - It froze again after logging in to windows and restarted itself.

I've read the most likely outcome is a bad SSD causing some issues with the GPU or something? I was hoping to get some insight from actual knowledgable folk!

My Specs:
Sabertooth z77 Mobo
Intel I7 3770k
Corsair 16GB RAM (4x 4GB STICKS)
Corsair TX850 PSU
Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
GPU with issue: Radeon 7950 Ghost
Replacement GPU (no issues in over a year): 750TI

(If you're wondering why I'm trying to fix my old GPU if I have one with no issues, My dad needs the card, he's out of work and really wants to play some games but his old GPU wont run Warzone, he wants the 750TI so if I can fix my 7950 then more than one person will be happy ;) )

What checks/ fixes can you recommend?

TIA

Solution
The problem may relate to the driver, overheat, or the GPU is going to die.
1) Check the gpu fan(s) to see it does spin or not. And may reapply the thermal paste on the GPU.

2)Use DDU to uninstall the GPU driver, then reinstall the driver again.

3) Try use MSI afterburner or other software, to under clock the GPU, or increase the voltage little bit, or set the power limit to 80% too.

4) If the GPU is going to die, nothing you can do.
1) Check the gpu fan(s) to see it does spin or not. And may reapply the thermal paste on the GPU.

3) Try use MSI afterburner or other software, to under clock the GPU, or increase the voltage little bit, or set the power limit to 80% too.

Solution
Mar 26, 2020

Thanks for the reply Titan!

I've just reinstalled the driver yesterday, so I'll try underclocking to see if that helps. Then I'll try thermal. If it continues I suppose I'll call it dead.

Is it possible the SSD could cause this or nah?