[SOLVED] Long term effect of running cpu above max temp for multiple hours?

nthomas14

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello,

Recently my wife experienced a crash on my computer.

It's never crashed before and is pretty high spec. I'm pretty certain it was due to overheating issues as it's stored in a cupboard for neat keeping but the door needs to be opened in heavy use or during hot conditions. Today was a particularly hot day and the cupboard door was not opened by my wife.

She describes the issue as the computer started slowing down when running an editing software. And then froze all together (please note no BSOD) .

To me that sounds like throttling occurred and then overheating caused a system freeze.

She didn't let me know about the freeze, and let the computer run for a few hours (cupboard closed) I think core temperatures would have hit 90 degrees (c) + in that time

What I want to know is:

- is there a likelihood of long term damage?

-would the cpu once going into a freeze drop workload to limit heating?

- if the pc hit over 100/105 degrees, would it just shut itself off?

-if it froze does that mean safeguarding systems in pc didn't trigger properly? Could damage have occurred because of this?

- is there anyway to view temperature logs?

PC Specs are:

MOBO: Asus ROG x470 crosshair vii mobo
CPU: Ryzen 2700x OC on all cores @4.2ghz (voltage 1.395v). Max rated temp 85c.
RAM: 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RAM - running at the rated 3000mhz
GPU: GTX1080ti inno3d x3 ichill
CPU Cooler: d15 se-am4
PSU: 1000W Antec High Current pro
Case: Fractal design r4 with 2 intake fans (front and 3 out take fan (2 on top and 1 rear)

Last edited:
Solution
The CPU will throttle itself down once it reaches max temp. That's where the sluggishness came from. If throttling doesn't fix the temp issue, the PC will shut down to prevent damage.

You're fine. Although I'd suggest remedying the cupboard issue. My HTPC sits in a cabinet and I drilled a hole in the back for an external (but inside the cabinet) fan. However, a PC with your specs shouldn't be in an enclosed area.
The CPU will throttle itself down once it reaches max temp. That's where the sluggishness came from. If throttling doesn't fix the temp issue, the PC will shut down to prevent damage.

You're fine. Although I'd suggest remedying the cupboard issue. My HTPC sits in a cabinet and I drilled a hole in the back for an external (but inside the cabinet) fan. However, a PC with your specs shouldn't be in an enclosed area.

Solution

nthomas14

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

Thanks. That's good to hear. Agreed I think it needs a bit more free flow of air