[SOLVED] Long term effects of power surge

Apr 4, 2020
Hello,
Yesterday our neighborhood might of had a power surge (or a brownout / black out) lasted enough for the light to flicker, and everything turn off and the clocks to reset. My PC was plugged into the wall and it booted up just fine

My question is this, if it's fine right now, will there be any long term lingering problems?

Solution
No. Even a basic oem psu will handle multiple power outages. The issues come from sustained or long exposure to dirty power. In any case, it's always a good idea to get a better quality psu that will handle power issues better and shut off before problems occur to the rest of the pc.
No. Even a basic oem psu will handle multiple power outages. The issues come from sustained or long exposure to dirty power. In any case, it's always a good idea to get a better quality psu that will handle power issues better and shut off before problems occur to the rest of the pc.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
I also forgot to mention the PC was off at the time.
I read later that my PSU has most of the added protections to it (OCP/OVP/UVP/SCP/OPP/OTP/SIP/NLO )
I'm just a little paranoid

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I read later that my PSU has most of the added protections to it (OCP/OVP/UVP/SCP/OPP/OTP/SIP/NLO )
Best thing to do is get a high quality surge suppressor - or a whole house (if you own) TVSS (transient voltage surge supression)... I have been using ISOBAR for 30 years now - and do have some of the newer ones - one of the few devices that is still as good today as it was when they were made in the US. A little more expensive, but worth it. To rely strictly on your PS to take surges and sags is terrible advice.

Also, if the PC was off - why are you worrying? So if say Best Buy has a really bad surge or brownout - are the computers still in the box affected?

Apr 4, 2020
Best thing to do is get a high quality surge suppressor - or a whole house (if you own) TVSS (transient voltage surge supression)... I have been using ISOBAR for 30 years now - and do have some of the newer ones - one of the few devices that is still as good today as it was when they were made in the US. A little more expensive, but worth it. To rely strictly on your PS to take surges and sags is terrible advice.

Also, if the PC was off - why are you worrying? So if say Best Buy has a really bad surge or brownout - are the computers still in the box affected?
I'm assuming best buy has some hq surge protectors. I bought two protectors today, ones really to hold me over till the higher quality one gets here.
The pc was off, but still plugged into the wall with the motherboard still taking power from the PSU (ambient lighting from the motherboard was going)
So you really think theres nothing to worry about? I've been posting on forums, subreddits, and websites all day looking for answers just to keep my mind at peace.
So it's more like if it's not damaged now it wont be kinda thing? I've read that signs could show later down the road and that had me freaking.

Hello,
Yesterday our neighborhood might of had a power surge (or a brownout / black out) lasted enough for the light to flicker, and everything turn off and the clocks to reset. My PC was plugged into the wall and it booted up just fine

My question is this, if it's fine right now, will there be any long term lingering problems?
One thing to consider is howthe machine recovers from a power failure. I lost a hard drive to a repeated failure. The power went off and immediately came back on and went down again. Check in your BIOS settings for something to leave the PC power off if it goes down. If you are in a storm and the power goes off it will remain off until you manually restart it again. Wait for the storm to pass before doing so.

I wasn't implying to solely rely on a psu for a power outage. A surge protector is not a power conditioner. If the lights were still on then the pc wasn't off. Unless manually changed, it goes to a hybrid hibernate when you select to turn off pc. If the pc turns on and doesn't have issues, you can stop worrying. There are psus that list safeties that they don't actually have. A power outage is a common occurrence for the life of a pc.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
I wasn't implying to solely rely on a psu for a power outage. If the lights were still on then the pc wasn't off. Unless manually changed, it goes to a hybrid hibernate when you select to turn off pc. If the pc turns on and doesn't have issues, you can stop worrying. There are psus that list safeties that they don't actually have. A power outage is a common occurrence for the life of a pc.
I bought surge protectors earlier.

Apr 4, 2020
I wasn't implying to solely rely on a psu for a power outage. A surge protector is not a power conditioner. If the lights were still on then the pc wasn't off. Unless manually changed, it goes to a hybrid hibernate when you select to turn off pc. If the pc turns on and doesn't have issues, you can stop worrying. There are psus that list safeties that they don't actually have. A power outage is a common occurrence for the life of a pc.
Also, I went into event manager and there was no errors such as unexpected shutdown as well

TRENDING THREADS