Long term GTX 770 freeze & crash issue

whaling

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015
I've been having problems with my GPU for over 6 months at this point. The problems come and go and seem fairly random so I've found it almost impossible to diagnose the actual cause. Since the problems started I have:

• ■ Wiped and reinstalled graphics drivers (multiple times)
    ■ Downgraded graphics drivers
    ■ Reinstalled Windows
    ■ Upgraded my power supply
Turning ShadowPlay back on seems to have caused my most recent crashes. Would this imply that there's something wrong with my VRAM? Updating to and using the most recent driver has resulted in crashes as well.

System Details:
GPU: MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC Edition
CPU: Intel Core i5 3330
Memory: 8GB
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential

I've got 3 crashes recorded with event viewer:
First, Second and Third.

I also have a crash dump file. I can provide the original if you want, but this is the report created by WhoCrashed.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Solution
RMA the card if you can.

I have a 770 from a different company, and I have had none of those issues. You also appear to have done pretty much everything that I would have suggested to you to try to resolve that problem.

I haven't even looked at ShadowPlay, never ran it, so I cannot help you on that front.
RMA the card if you can.

I have a 770 from a different company, and I have had none of those issues. You also appear to have done pretty much everything that I would have suggested to you to try to resolve that problem.

I haven't even looked at ShadowPlay, never ran it, so I cannot help you on that front.

Solution

whaling

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015

I only mentioned ShadowPlay because they started the crashes the other day. I've since turned it off and updated drivers and the crashes persist anyway.

I was afraid an RMA would be the way to go. Now I have to go find proof of purchase...

Thanks for the response!

Well, yeah. you made this easy for me. Problem has been ongoing for 6 months. Multiple drivers were used. Reinstalled the OS. Changed out the PS. What else can you do? I mean there is a tiny tiny little chance its a motherboard problem, but its like 95% chance its the video card, and maybe a 3% chance its the motherboard. And its much easier to change out the video card first.

whaling

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015

I've just had a thought. Is it possible that bad sectors on my storage drive (where most of my games, but not the OS, are stored) could be causing driver crashes like this? I'm just about to buy a new HDD because my current one is very slowly dying.

whaling

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015

Didn't think it was likely. Hoped, mostly. Hard drive replacement's easer than an RMA!

Thanks again for the help.

LOL yes, replacing a hard drive is much easier than doing an RMA.

That reminds me, I have a 2TB hard drive arriving today too... Been running for a full year on nothing but a 1TB SSD. Figure its time to get me enough space to backup the entire SSD, a few times over.

Just in case...

whaling

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2015

For anyone visiting here in the future the RMA was successful (and weeks ago). Replacement card has had no problems. Thanks again for your help!