[SOLVED] Long term hardware issues

Aug 17, 2019
This is my first post on here so Hi!, So about 8 months ago i built my PC from ground up minus the Drives. Here are the specs for anyone curios:

i7-8700K @ 5.0Ghz,
MSI Armor 1070ti,
Asus Z390-A,
16GB Trident Z 3000Mhz,
Corsair H60 OG model,
NZXT S340,
1TB WD Blue drive,
128GB Kingston SSD

So my problem started right when i built the PC, I was constantly getting DPC_Watchdog Error blue screens on cold boots after about an hour or so of usage. Which i know means possible defective hardware or driver issues, checked all my drivers with Driver Reviver and all seemed ok.

So I assumed i had a piece of defective hardware most likely my mobo (just a feeling). So months went by and i was still having this issue but after a reboot following the error i was usually in the clear for the rest of the day.

So just recently (about a month and a half ago) i went into bios to check stuff out cause i was getting really irritated. I knew i was using the Auto overclock the Asus (their Smart UI system or whatever its called). and I looked and my XMP setting were disabled. I dont know if Asus doesnt require a manual enable of XMP settings when using their Auto OC. BUT when i disabled the Auto OC and Enabled XMP Setting and did a Manual OC i stopped having my issue. which i then assumed that ihad fixed my problem for good, I was wrong.

About 2 weeks ago my PC has starting having random freezes, but not the DPC_Watchdog Error this time, it just freezes to where i cant do anything and i have to switch off my PC from the back and switch it back on. Im really frustrated at this point and dont know whats going on. Any insight would be really appreciated. Honestly just considering selling off everything but the mobo and rebuilding with the new Ryzen 3000 platform at this point but woudl prefer to keep my current build if possible and save the money. Thx in advance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So my problem started right when i built the PC, I was constantly getting DPC_Watchdog Error blue screens
If you can get us the dump files for this, that would help us identify what drivers could be causing it: BSOD Guide here.

checked all my drivers with Driver Reviver and all seemed ok.
I would absolutely avoid using Driver Reviver as well as any other third party driver installer as they often can install the incorrect drivers for your system. I use SUMO just to identify what drivers are out of date, then manually donwload the relevant ones from the correct site. So third party programs like this can actually make the problem worse.

BUT when i disabled the Auto OC and...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

So my problem started right when i built the PC, I was constantly getting DPC_Watchdog Error blue screens
If you can get us the dump files for this, that would help us identify what drivers could be causing it: BSOD Guide here.

checked all my drivers with Driver Reviver and all seemed ok.
I would absolutely avoid using Driver Reviver as well as any other third party driver installer as they often can install the incorrect drivers for your system. I use SUMO just to identify what drivers are out of date, then manually donwload the relevant ones from the correct site. So third party programs like this can actually make the problem worse.

BUT when i disabled the Auto OC and Enabled XMP Setting and did a Manual OC i stopped having my issue. which i then assumed that ihad fixed my problem for good, I was wrong.
Just to be sure i would totally reset the BIOS / CMOS to restore everything back to default settings.

Also:
  • What is your PSU make and model?
  • Have you updated your BIOS to latest version?
  • Does the issue still occur in safe mode? (If you don't know, confirm this).
  • Do you have all latest drivers including chipset drivers installed? Is windows up to date?

• Getting the dump files as stated above may be useful.
  • What OS are you using exactly?
  • You say you've had this issue since first building the PC?

Solution
Aug 17, 2019

Just to be sure i would totally reset the BIOS / CMOS to restore everything back to default settings.

Also:
  • What is your PSU make and model?
  • Have you updated your BIOS to latest version?
  • Does the issue still occur in safe mode? (If you don't know, confirm this).
  • Do you have all latest drivers including chipset drivers installed? Is windows up to date?

• Getting the dump files as stated above may be useful.
  • What OS are you using exactly?
  • You say you've had this issue since first building the PC?
Thanks for the reply! I checked out the BSOD Guide and seems like i need my PC to BSOD error again to get the Dump files for it? (Correct me if im wrong)

Also i uninstalled Driver Reviver and installed Sumo and Dumo and assuming you meant Dumo for the Hardware Driver issues i tried finding the drivers online and could for the life of me, Maybe im just dense.

I'll go ahead and Reset my CMOS tomorrow thanks!

PSU: Corsair CX650M

Honestly not sure if my bios is updated to the latest version.

Would test but im no longer getting BSOD error's, Also its very inconsistent, its maybe 1 out fo every 7 or 8 boots will i freeze anymore.

My chipset Driver isnt up to date but i dont know how to update it.

Im using Windows 10 Pro (Not Activated)

Yes i started getting the BSOD Errors right when I built my PC. But have since stopped having the BSOD Error and now its just random freezes without a bluescreen.

Honestly considering just selling off my parts minus the Mobo and rebuilding with the new Ryzen 3000, Thoughts?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply! I checked out the BSOD Guide and seems like i need my PC to BSOD error again to get the Dump files for it? (Correct me if im wrong)
Correct. But the dump files can help massively if you can obtain any.
Also i uninstalled Driver Reviver and installed Sumo and Dumo and assuming you meant Dumo for the Hardware Driver issues i tried finding the drivers online and could for the life of me, Maybe im just dense.
Well that's just what I do for a quick reference if I'm behind, I usually just keep them updated regularly, just as long as you don't use the program to actually install the drivers, as it often gets it wrong, and can even suggest updates that aren't necessary.
PSU: Corsair CX650M
How long have you had it?
Honestly not sure if my bios is updated to the latest version.
Go to Start > System information - and you'll see a BIOS version there.
My chipset Driver isnt up to date but i dont know how to update it.
Assuming you have the ASUS Prime z390-A just download them from here: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/PRIME-Z390-A/HelpDesk_Download/
Honestly considering just selling off my parts minus the Mobo and rebuilding with the new Ryzen 3000, Thoughts?
Well, whilst the new Ryzen series is great, you won't know if you're shipping off faulty hardware. And you never know, it could be hardware not related to RAM, CPU, MB. So if you want to upgrade, then upgrade, but IMO it may be best to try and figure out what the problem may be first to prevent carrying it over to the new system or selling faulty gear to someone else.

TRENDING THREADS