JamesEnquiry

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
Recently I´ve been wodnering what would be a sensible upgrade path for my rig.
So far my machine consits of:
6700K (currently not yet OCed)
gtx1070 Strix OCed
2x8 GB 2666 RAM
running Win10 from a SATA Samsung SSD
all powered by a 650W Seasonic PSU.
My latest purchase was a 34´ IPS monitor from LG with a Gsync module, resolution 2560x1080.
I do prefer to play AAA games with fidelity as high as possible and only then I care about FPS. As long as I get about 45+, I´m OK. But I´d like to add a few fps since my new monitor can take it.
That´s why I have my eye on RTX 3070, when it´s finally out. I will of course wait for the release of Big Navi to see if it might force a bit of a price drop in the 3070 llineup.
Now the stuff I´m not so sure about. I suspect that these new 30xx series gpus may support loading of assets directly from a fast SSD when used with a PCI express 4.0. Firstly am I wrong in thinking that it might lessen the pressure put on the CPU? Of course I am also worried that the now relatively older CPU may bottleneck this fairly new GPU. The question is how much...especially in those AAA games that I mentioned.
Also I´ve been thinking about a CPU, MOBO and RAM upgrade. From what I heard AMD is likely to come up with a new platform when releasing the next Ryzen chips after 5xxx series. Something like AM5 or whatnot. And because there are rumors of first DDR5 being manufactured, my thought is that during late 2021 and early 2022 they may be coming. Given the expected high frequencies that are rumored and the fact that Ryzen chips make good use of fast memory, I am inclined to wait for that and add a fast NVMe SSD and possibly be set for a nice couple of years.
I similarly waited with an upgrade for Skylake to come and I can´t say I regreted it. I did the same with the 1070 and again, it was a big jump in comparison to Maxwell. So far I´ve had the pleasure of playing most games on very high settings. But with the coming of new consoles...that time might be up.
So I would appreciate any opinions on this.
Thank you.

JamesEnquiry

Honorable
Mar 5, 2014
what sort of budget are you looking at?
Oh right, of course. I´m not really sure about the budget, I mean I wanna go as low as I can get while maintaining a reasonable FPS/USD ratio. I was thinking about getting a CPU with 8cores/16 threads, ticking somewhere around 5 GHz and if the DDR5 are already in use by that time, then certainly one of the cheaper 2x8GB ones, because they´ll probably be fairly pricey when they make it to this platform. So say some 350USD for CPU, about half that for a decent MoBo and who knows how much the RAM will cost...and finally again dunno how much might a fast 1TB gen4 SSD cost in some 15 months from now....hopefully around 250 USD. So all in all somewhere around 700USD for the basics - CPU, MoBo, RAM and then little later around 250USD for the SSD...

We have no idea what things will look like by the end of 2021.

for a more immediate upgrade: nothing. Wait until the end of 2021 and see what you can get, and go for a full system replacement at that time.
Maybe get a 3070 if you want the RTX for modern games