Question Long time grey screen crash/ w recent parts swapped

Nov 30, 2018
Welp been having this issue for maybe about a year now which only became more frequent as of late. Posted the same thing on LTT here but got no help :/ https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1043344-gray-screen-crash-while-gaming-and-on-desktop-r9-280/

The parts I swapped out now are a new a case, GPU, and PSU. Went from a R9 280 to a RX 570 and CX600 to a CX550M. When it got really bad with my old parts it would crash 2-3 times a day no matter what I was doing desktop browsing or gaming. Now a week later with the new parts it finally happened again all I had on was a chrome tab. I did all the regular stuff before installing the new GPU like uninstalling with DDU and updating to the new GPU drivers. I don't have any performance issues in games besides the obvious which is my FX-8320 being a bottleneck but my temps are fine and this is good enough for now as long as it doesn't crash. This is a 5 year old system now keep in mind. Any way I can fix this? I don't mess around with any voltage controls or overclocks either I have attached some GPU-Z screenshots as well View: https://imgur.com/a/1esOupO

Nov 30, 2018
If you were having the same issue before and after the upgrade then it could be the OS, RAM or motherboard.
If it was the hard drive it will be dead by now.
Have you tested the RAM?
Have you tried a clean OS installation?

Well I have taken out the RAM for a bit and put it back in the dimm slots and yeah I have clean installed windows 2 times now. I agree I doubt its the HDD it seems to have been pretty reliable for the past 5 years its a good ol WD Blue 1TB. I'm definitely not ruling out the motherboard though back when me and my friend were a absolute noob at putting a PC together we left it hanging a bit off the old case with it not fully screwed in so it could be potentially shorted out big time though everything plugged in seems to work just fine and I don't know how to diagnose it fully. On HWMonitor the CPU temps often show up as 250C+ max so there could be something wrong with the sensors as its obviously not that hot and it doesn't thermal throttle in game when the readings actually work properly the CPU doesn't go above 52C paired with a Hyper 212 EVO.

Nov 30, 2018
Also I don't think its the PSU since it happens when the PC is barely under any load on PCPartpicker the total wattage calculated is around 320-330W and other sites show the max as 430W with a recommended PSU that's 650W

I would have probably gone with something like that but the only reason I went with a 550 is because I was originally planning on building a entirely new lower powered intel rig. The RX 570 does use less power than my old R9 280 though (about 50 watts less according to most sites) also I mentioned this in the LTT post but i can't exactly reproduce this issue either it just happens randomly in games or desktop. Doing stress tests on the CPU - Prime95 for 15-20 minutes doesn't cause any crashes whatsoever and any GPU benchmarks like heaven or fire strike don't cause any crashes either.

The CX550 is plenty and it does not look like is the PSU.
HWMonitor is know for mistakenly shoew wrong temps when it doesn't read the sensors correctly, but that could also be cause by a malfunctioning motherboard.
After you mention the motherboard hanging of the case, it could have touched the case bare metal and could have shorted some component.

Nov 30, 2018
The CX550 is plenty and it does not look like is the PSU.
HWMonitor is know for mistakenly shoew wrong temps when it doesn't read the sensors correctly, but that could also be cause by a malfunctioning motherboard.
After you mention the motherboard hanging of the case, it could have touched the case bare metal and could have shorted some component.

Could be could be... I plan on transferring the new parts to a completely new system that I had originally planned with a new mobo so we will see how it all goes with a new one in the future. I still hope to use this current system as a PC for bro/family and we rely on it working properly for live stream classes. When the issue first started it would only happen every few months so it was very rare and always the same grey screen with added vertical black lines sometimes.