Long time since I've been here, now I'm looking at a new config for which i need help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
Currently I have an Core i7-920 Processor. I've had this since i came out and it have served me well.

Though i cant get past 3.8GHz without running a core voltage of 1.5v. I've been content just running at that speed.

Now this one is getting old, both CPU, Mobo, Ram and Psu so im looking for replacement parts. I like them to be overcloackable. I do have a custom build watercooling solution which have plenty headroom for a more aggressive computer.

I have been looking at the following CPU, Mobo and ram
GA-Z97X-SOC Force*
Core i7 I7-4790K 8 MB**
Crucial ballistics 2 x 8 GB : BLT2CP8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU***

* I have chosen a gigabyte mobo becuase that is what i have in my current setup and it have worked without problems.

** This is the best available cpu which as i understand it have unlocked the core multiplier so this is what i am aming for. My current system have lasted for 5 years and can still keep up ( More to that ive upgraded my graphics). So my target is to get something that can last maybe the same amount of time. This is the reason for choosine the top line CPU.

*** Regarding memory i am at a loss. I have no clue to what to choose here and is essentially my primary question. What memory should i chose if i plan to OC?

I would like to know if anyone have any other ideas for CPU/MOBO combination and/or can recomend a good PSU. I do not beleve i need more than 800watts (not modular)

Regards
Optimist

Solution
Just get a i5 4690K (same but without HT) and 8 GB RAM if you're gaming.

The RAM doesn't matter, as if you want the highest stable/voltage, you don't want high clocked RAM.

Thanks for the update!

That looks like a pretty good OC but I see how they did it: Vcore= 1.373 v. Typically, you don't want to exceed 1.300 v. on a Haswell chip but it also depends on CPU Temp.

Have you checked your CPU Temp while doing 3D AutoCad Rendering or other high CPU load program?

Yogi

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Hi
Know this is an old post but my system is finally done. Temperature is nothing i have an over amped watercooling system. temperatures never really exceeds 50c.
That being said I did clock it down to 4.6GHz since it boosted the voltage further when executing heavy application up to 1.4v. and I tried it at 1.3v, as you suggested, where it was not stable. Now i run it at 1.25v which is better.

Regards
Optimist

Hi
Know this is an old post but my system is finally done. Temperature is nothing i have an over amped watercooling system. temperatures never really exceeds 50c.
That being said I did clock it down to 4.6GHz since it boosted the voltage further when executing heavy application up to 1.4v. and I tried it at 1.3v, as you suggested, where it was not stable. Now i run it at 1.25v which is better.

Regards
Optimist
Pick as the solution

If you can run 4.6 GHz @ 1.25 v. that's very good. I originally stated that 1.300 v. was the maximum for Haswell, but you have a "Devil's Canyon" CPU which can go to 1.35 v. max. I'm not sure, but I believe that is based upon Air Cooling. You should be able to go higher with only 50*C. temp. but I can't say exactly how much. 4.6 GHz is still pretty respectable.

Yogi