Question Long time tom's observer is throughly stumped

Dec 31, 2020
Hello tom's hardware, you guys helped me build my first PC when I was 16 years ago and I've built 5-7 rigs since, but I simply don't understand how to resolve my current issue.

I just recieved the last part for my new rig which is as follows:

Rosewill Black Prism Lite case
Corsair CX750M PSU
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus TUF RTX3080
Asus TUF X570 Plus Wifi
2x Western Digital 2TB M.2 drives
4x G.SKILL 16GB Trident V 3600 2 black and 2 red
(which I know technically gives them different timings but hey, a sale is a sale and I have booted with all sticks functional, I digress)
Noctua NH-D15

Ok so I can't boot with the 5600x in the motherboard which is to be expected. It just gets power and stays whirring with the Orange DRAM light on.
However I yanked a 3900x from my brothers computer for a couple hours to try and update the BIOS and the first time was a dud. But the second time we booted all the way to desktop with all the new components installed minus the heatsink and the 5600x of course. Checked and confirmed 64gb of RAM detected from This PC properties and I thought I installed all the drivers from the asus website including the beta AM4 BIOS. When I ran the .exe it just opened a cmd prompt for a fraction of a second and closed it, I thought it was just a quick process? But I'm thinking I didn't properly load the new BIOS.

Which is why my current predicament is such a pain. With the 5600x I'm still getting to orange DRAM and nothing else, but when I switch and seat the 3900x...nothing. I can see the motherboard is getting power from the little RGBs on the back of the board but there's no other indication of life. Back to 5600x, back to DRAM. I tried 1, stick, 2 stick, red stick, blue stick. In every slot combo I could think of. I reseated the heatsinks so many times, my hands pressed up against the top PSU radiator so much my fingertips are shredded. I stripped the board down to just the mounting screws(but didn't reseat board itself, Front I/O plate was being very uncooperative) built it back up again and still nothing. It's 4AM now and I rebuilt my brothers computer and replaced it by his room. How the hell do I update the BIOS when it wont let me even get there? I'm so tired. I hope someone is able to help me out there, I'd really appreciate it. Good evening, good morning, and for me; good night.

P.S. I don't think this will be relavent but the 1 time it did boot I had to go into the BIOS and turn off the wifi and LAN adapter to prevent it from BSODing. But it did work that 1 time with the 3900x.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello tom's hardware, you guys helped me build my first PC when I was 16 years ago and I've built 5-7 rigs since, but I simply don't understand how to resolve my current issue.

I just recieved the last part for my new rig which is as follows:

Rosewill Black Prism Lite case
Corsair CX750M PSU
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus TUF RTX3080
Asus TUF X570 Plus Wifi
2x Western Digital 2TB M.2 drives
4x G.SKILL 16GB Trident V 3600 2 black and 2 red
(which I know technically gives them different timings but hey, a sale is a sale and I have booted with all sticks functional, I digress)
Noctua NH-D15

Ok so I can't boot with the 5600x in the motherboard which is to be expected. It just gets power and stays whirring with the Orange DRAM light on.
However I yanked a 3900x from my brothers computer for a couple hours to try and update the BIOS and the first time was a dud. But the second time we booted all the way to desktop with all the new components installed minus the heatsink and the 5600x of course. Checked and confirmed 64gb of RAM detected from This PC properties and I thought I installed all the drivers from the asus website including the beta AM4 BIOS. When I ran the .exe it just opened a cmd prompt for a fraction of a second and closed it, I thought it was just a quick process? But I'm thinking I didn't properly load the new BIOS.

Which is why my current predicament is such a pain. With the 5600x I'm still getting to orange DRAM and nothing else, but when I switch and seat the 3900x...nothing. I can see the motherboard is getting power from the little RGBs on the back of the board but there's no other indication of life. Back to 5600x, back to DRAM. I tried 1, stick, 2 stick, red stick, blue stick. In every slot combo I could think of. I reseated the heatsinks so many times, my hands pressed up against the top PSU radiator so much my fingertips are shredded. I stripped the board down to just the mounting screws(but didn't reseat board itself, Front I/O plate was being very uncooperative) built it back up again and still nothing. It's 4AM now and I rebuilt my brothers computer and replaced it by his room. How the hell do I update the BIOS when it wont let me even get there? I'm so tired. I hope someone is able to help me out there, I'd really appreciate it. Good evening, good morning, and for me; good night.

P.S. I don't think this will be relavent but the 1 time it did boot I had to go into the BIOS and turn off the wifi and LAN adapter to prevent it from BSODing. But it did work that 1 time with the 3900x.
For troubleshooting, you should limit yourself to a single DIMM. Then BIOS update. Then 6-8 hours of MEMTEST with all DIMMs installed.
It also sounds like you did not do a clean OS install. Is that correct ?

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Dec 31, 2020
For troubleshooting, you should limit yourself to a single DIMM. Then BIOS update. Then 6-8 hours of MEMTEST with all DIMMs installed.
It also sounds like you did not do a clean OS install. Is that correct ?

Yeah I swapped to single DIMM once ot wasn't working again. I forgot to mention I ripped a SATA SSD out of my old computer and was booting to that. So you are correct, it is not a fresh install.
But also as I mentioned, I don't know how to update the BIOS when I can't get there with either CPU

Dec 31, 2020
" new components installed minus the heatsink" Did you really mean to type that?
I mean yeah, if all I'm checking for is power the CPU isn't going to combust in the half minute it takes to confirm. Plus as I mentioned, I know the 3900x works becuase I can pop it back into my brothers computer no problems. I can't understand why it wont let me at least get to BIOS when it has done it before. When I see that I can get to BIOS I'll put the heatsink back on just for you 😘

kanewolf

Titan
I mean yeah, if all I'm checking for is power the CPU isn't going to combust in the half minute it takes to confirm. Plus as I mentioned, I know the 3900x works becuase I can pop it back into my brothers computer no problems. I can't understand why it wont let me at least get to BIOS when it has done it before. When I see that I can get to BIOS I'll put the heatsink back on just for you 😘
Do you still have a fan plugged into the CPU fan connector but not on the CPU? It could be as simple as the board won't boot without a CPU fan.

Dec 31, 2020
Do you still have a fan plugged into the CPU fan connector but not on the CPU? It could be as simple as the board won't boot without a CPU fan.
Yeah I have one of the noctua fans in specifically for that reason. I tried removing the CMOS battery, jumping the CLR. Still nothing. 5600x still gives DRAM. Is it possible my motherboard has been ruined by inserting the 5600x preemptively? I don't know what to try any more.

Yeah I swapped to single DIMM once ot wasn't working again. I forgot to mention I ripped a SATA SSD out of my old computer and was booting to that. So you are correct, it is not a fresh install.
But also as I mentioned, I don't know how to update the BIOS when I can't get there with either CPU

Are you sure your bios supports 5600x?

Today's timings are very finicky. You never ever mix memory timings

Last edited: