[SOLVED] Longevity of a new CPU

Dec 18, 2020
If I get a 5900X now, how many GPU generations would it be good enough to not bottleneck new GPUs at all, in 3440x1440? Not just "good enough", I mean not bottleneck it at all. Might be hard to answer, but still. Any ideas?

Solution
... Would it be smarter to get a 5600X now and upgrade my whole system in 2-3 years or get a 5900X now and hope it'll be a system that'll deliver the goods for 4-5 years?
Get the 5600X and it will most likely deliver the goods for 4-5 years. At least, based on recent history as CPU's from 5 years ago are still capable of delivering good gaming performance at 1440p on modern GPU's. That's the best anyone can do is look at history and assume the future repeats it.

For gaming only a 5900X offers nothing over a 5600X; instead throw the difference into the GPU...or the next GPU after that. It's the GPU you need to worry about delivering the goods in just 2 years, much less 4 or 5.
Impossible to answer as it depends on too many factors. You could argue that every system can cpu bottleneck in certain circumstances so your request has already failed. For example cs go even at that higher resolution isn’t going to need much of a gpu to be technically cpu bottlenecked. Same with other e-sports games where it’s common that the cpu is the limiting factor.

Reactions: CountMike
Not possible to answer.
Instead consider this:
If you need the processor now, buy it.
If you have a decently capable system now, then wait for a newer generation.

Planning for longevity never makes sense in the PC world where todays flagship 700 dollar processor will be outpaced year after year by cheaper hardware anyway. Buy what you need when you need it.

If I get a 5900X now, how many GPU generations would it be good enough to not bottleneck new GPUs at all, in 3440x1440? Not just "good enough", I mean not bottleneck it at all. Might be hard to answer, but still. Any ideas?

I think the better way to ask this question is: How long until anyone...Nvidia, AMD or even Intel... comes out with a GPU that can make a 5900X the SOLID bottleneck when gaming at 3440x1440 resolution?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
My problem is I don't have a PC now but I want to get one. I use a mac for everything else, so I'm only going to game on it. Mostly for cyberpunk. Would it be smarter to get a 5600X now and upgrade my whole system in 2-3 years or get a 5900X now and hope it'll be a system that'll deliver the goods for 4-5 years?

... Would it be smarter to get a 5600X now and upgrade my whole system in 2-3 years or get a 5900X now and hope it'll be a system that'll deliver the goods for 4-5 years?
Get the 5600X and it will most likely deliver the goods for 4-5 years. At least, based on recent history as CPU's from 5 years ago are still capable of delivering good gaming performance at 1440p on modern GPU's. That's the best anyone can do is look at history and assume the future repeats it.

For gaming only a 5900X offers nothing over a 5600X; instead throw the difference into the GPU...or the next GPU after that. It's the GPU you need to worry about delivering the goods in just 2 years, much less 4 or 5.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Whatever you buy now will be superceeded by something new and better in a year or two.
"future proofing" is not realistic for most pc products.

If you have a need now, buy now.
Today, I think ryzen 5600X is probably the best gaming processor you can buy(if you can find one for sale at the $299 MSRP)
the 12 threads and a very good IPC is all you need for gaming.
Few games can make effective use of 6 threads.
The 5900x with 24 threads will not likely do better.
Possibly if you play multiplayer with many participants would more threads be batter.

There is probably no graphics card that it would be a limiter.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.
That would argue for a card like the 3070 0r 3080 if you can find one anywhere near the MSRP of $500, $700 respectively.

The higher your intended resolution, the more important the graphics becomes relative to the cpu.
You would want a 3080/3090 class card if you want fast action gaming at 4k resolution. Unfortunately, none are to be found at MSRP, indeed, none can hardly be found at all.

My suggestion is to buy what you need now, now.
Bust your budget for a great monitor, it will be with you for a very long time. Graphics is very easy to upgrade later if you need to.

Dec 18, 2020
It's within a margin of error and not all games can make use of every core/thread in a processor. Cyberpunk's performance seems to cap out at 8 cores, so adding any more doesn't do anything.

It seems I was wrong. Apparently when you apply the Ryzen fix (Ryzen modified in the chart) the 5600X is second only to the 5900X, by 0.1 fps.

It seems I was wrong. Apparently when you apply the Ryzen fix (Ryzen modified in the chart) the 5600X is second only to the 5900X, by 0.1 fps.
Yet Zen1 and Zen2 CPU's don't improve (they come out pretty poorly) or even degrade in performance. I don't think it's smart to read much into the Cyberpunk CPU performance charts right now. By all accounts the game is a hot mess and there's a lot to be fixed which I think we will be seeing over the next few weeks or months. So I'm pretty sure things are going to change.

Reactions: Phaaze88