[SOLVED] Longevity of the new GPUs?

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
The shortages of the current nvidia and AMD cards this is going to lead to many people not being able to buy them until the middle of next year. With the new consoles coming out, and the technology evolving more rapidly than it has over the previous 8 years, will it even be worth it for the hundreds of thousands of people waiting for cards to upgrade if they do it within a year of a new set of cards? It seems like my 2070 is now irrelevant for 1440p- AC Valhalla struggles and Cyberpunk looks to be a monster. I can't imagine what the next generation will bring, and how difficult it'll be to move forward with that jump, given how badly the recent launches went.

Solution
Certainly is a treacherous time to be upgrading GPU's. But I don't have any reason to assume the jump from 3x to next gen will be as meaningful as the jump from 2x. It's entirely possible that the technology will reach yet another point of stagnation.

But who knows such things. It's always going to be a gamble. The safest bet I can make is that I upgrade in intervals that have maximal impact on performance.
Well AC Valhalla is just struggling on all the systems really. 50-60 fps at 1440p with a RTX 2070 is just ridiculous. Try Doom Eternal at 1440p with 150 fps. It's not your card. It's the game.

Even a RTX 3070 at 1440p in that game it's like 75FPS.

Cyberpunk will probably be optimized better.

Lutfij

Titan
The question is relative to an individual. You will have some people out there who are early adopters and need the latest and greatest while you have folks who will adopt them slowly, while also having fringe buyers who only buy a GPU once every 5 or so years, making sure they play titles at reduced in-game details or at lower resolutions even.

Only time will tell how long the new lineup of GPU's will fair considering how bad it's been in terms of availability and pricing and the number of games that can do ray tracing are...how many?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your gpu will be relevant for as long as YOU want it to be.

I thought I'd finally be retiring my 1080Ti(which is 3 years and 8 months old at this point) for a 6800XT, but with all the chaos going on, I may just sit this out, with the hopes that things will go more smoothly for the next gen of cards.

I'd prefer not having to go 5 years without a gpu upgrade again... [Ran with a GTX 680 for about 5 years before finally getting a 1080Ti at launch.]
Looks like I'll be doing it again, /sigh

Reactions: norcalsc

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Certainly is a treacherous time to be upgrading GPU's. But I don't have any reason to assume the jump from 3x to next gen will be as meaningful as the jump from 2x. It's entirely possible that the technology will reach yet another point of stagnation.

But who knows such things. It's always going to be a gamble. The safest bet I can make is that I upgrade in intervals that have maximal impact on performance.

Solution

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Well AC Valhalla is just struggling on all the systems really. 50-60 fps at 1440p with a RTX 2070 is just ridiculous. Try Doom Eternal at 1440p with 150 fps. It's not your card. It's the game.

Even a RTX 3070 at 1440p in that game it's like 75FPS.

Cyberpunk will probably be optimized better.

True. I get 120 fps on doom eternal with everything maxed.

That's probably what I'll have to do. After jumping from console to PC 2 years ago, and having a rig with a 2070 and playing at 1440p, I've become spoiled. Almost every title I've played over the past 2 years, has been at max settings (minus RTX), with high FPS. Having just bought a 1440p monitor (great deal that I couldn't pass up) as all these new titles get more intensive, its been hard getting lower fps with lower graphical fidelity. I can afford a new card, but can't snag one, like many others. By the time we can get one it might be another huge leap.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Video cards are released on a tick-tock cycle. RTX 20 was 'tick', the generation that introduced new technology, RTX/DLSS, but it wasn't yet refined. RTX 30 is the follow up 'tock', a continuation of the technologies introduced in the previous generation, only at a more refined level, with higher clocks and lower power consumption. RX 6000 is also a 'tock' generation, building on what AMD started with RX 5000. RTX 30 and RX 6000 should both still be good for two generations if past patterns hold.