Look for a quality 13-14" easily servicable and powerful laptop (USA)

Vairfoley

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a new laptop for quite some time now and thought it might be a good idea to get some other recommendations. I'm just going to list my requirements and how important each is to me.
I'm willing to make some compromises to stay under $1000, but I might be willing to go up a bit more if it has everything I need.

CPU: I want to have at least 8 threads. Something to last quite a while, longevity is my main goal. Either i7 or Ryzen 7 but I could be persuaded to go i5 or Ryzen 5 possibly.

RAM: I only need 8GB of RAM for right now, but I'm pretty insistent on it being removable for maintenance. I will want to upgrade to 16gb down the road, but to save money if possible, 8GB is more than enough for me right now.

GPU: I have my desktop to game on, this laptop will not be used for that at all. I won't be doing any workloads that would benefit from a GPU, either. If anything, I'd rather not have one to eliminate points of failure.

STORAGE: I will be storing very little on this laptop. Anything over 128GB will be perfectly fine.

BATTERY: Something decent. Insane battery life is something I can live without if it gets in the way of other specifications.

SCREEN: Not too picky here, either. I want something 14" or smaller and at least 1080p. That's about it.

OTHER: I'd like to have a 2-1 design if possible with pretty sturdy build quality. Weight isn't too big of a deal. I'd like the keyboard to be backlit. (I'm surprised how many I've found without) Preferably a professional looking flat black or dark grey chassis. Brand is not an issue, either. USB type C would be nice, but I'm not worried about the I/O, either.

If there's anything else I missed, I probably don't care about it. I'm really much more concerned with the performance of the laptop rather than the design/form factor.

Thanks in advance for any help!