News Look Out Steam Deck! Competitor Offers 5-GHz CPU, 1TB SSD

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
Looks very small for me. Even for my younger cousins.
It's the perfect size actually. Any larger and it would be uncomfortable to hold, but any smaller and the keyboard would be difficult to use.

Let's see...
Trust some company out of China using Indiegogo (aka ripoff market) or a well-established US company?

I know where my money would go.
I've had three devices from GPD, including the previous Win Max, Win 2, and Pocket. They're a fairly well-established company and mostly use Indeigogo as a means of collecting preorders from outside of China. Until the Steam Deck, GPD was by far the largest player in this niche.

Reactions: thisisaname

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
This would definitely be something I'd buy, but I'll wait for a DDR5 AMD version, where the DDR5 should help greatly with AMD's graphics arch, whether it'll be another Vega or RDNA.

Jul 28, 2021
Too bad the units from their IGG campaigns have a 5% - 10% chance of having hardware problems right out of the box: broken SSD, display, joysticks, mouse/gamepad switch, buttons, etc. Things fail later as well. GPD's warranty support is horrendous so good luck getting things resolved.

They even swapped out components on units without telling the backers. Some got slower Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and SD card reader chips.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
For that price I could buy the Asus ROG Phone 5. I know this because my daughter keeps telling me to replace my Motto E with a real phone. Apparently, in her mind, the ROG Phone 5 is real phone. I fear if I get one, my daughter will indefinitely borrow it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
To clarify, it should say 5 Ghz for a split second. It is known that Tiger Lake U can boost very high, but only for a very short while. Which is essentially pointless for games since it is a sustained load. And comparing Xe graphics with AMD's RDNA2, I think the latter definitely have a better advantage in games, especially with LPDDR5 memory.

To clarify, it should say 5 Ghz for a split second. It is known that Tiger Lake U can boost very high, but only for a very short while. Which is essentially pointless for games since it is a sustained load. And comparing Xe graphics with AMD's RDNA2, I think the latter definitely have a better advantage in games, especially with LPDDR5 memory.
The only thing that regulates boost duration is TDP, if it can stay at or below PL1 because the sustained load is from a indie/old game or emulation, meaning single core CPU and very low GPU usage it could stay at 5Ghz forever, well as long as it's plugged into the wall at least and the cooling is good enough.
When running on battery you want it to last for as long as possible and not necessarily run as fast as possible.

Haha, that looks so cute (in a good way), but kind of uncomfortable to use. Specially if you want to use the joysticks. Still it's an interesting design, but I wouldn't use it.

This is like a very very lightweight laptop.

Regards.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This device looks more ergonomic than the Steam Deck. However, I don't trust crowdfunding or OEMs with no likelihood to stick around. Shame, because the clam shell design does a great job protecting the components and giving you something to grip with your palms. The 3DS XL was great for those same reasons.

Aside from the crowdfunding and unknown company backing this, I'm also worried the mini-laptop is too thin to handle all the heat. I don't see enough cooling vents for sustained performance.