Look! Part 2 UPDATED!

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
OK, here is the "fun" I had installing my new HIS ATI 1950 512mb AGP graphics card (£150)...(A friend of mine and I always joke about computer hardware and software probs; and how as we get more technologically advanced...it is supposed to make our lives easier...but how come we spend more and more time messing around with it all without actually doing what we want to do??)

OK...

First of all had the ubiqituos "You missed your delivery" from the parcel company; of course I did I was at work; and what a surprise you ignored my big note stuck to the door telling you to get a signature from the neighbour.

Jumped in the car and drove the 15 miles to the depot and picked up my card; dont even get me started on the queue and level of service in there...suffice to say there was a "ring bell for service" sticker on the wall with no bell underneath....now onto the fun....

1.Got card home, bought burger and chips somehow knowing it was gonna be a long night. Booted pc, uninstalled nvidia 6600 and all related Software; shut PC down.

2. Fitted ATI 1950 into the AGP slot, and attached the two connectors to the card...thoughts of "will my 400w PSU even power this beast up?".

3. Turned power on, and after a little delay got a display and the PC booted into windows...I let out a sigh of relief..first step done.

4. Windows advised me it found the vga adaptor, and I popped the driver cd in the drive. It then offered me the option to go online and find the latest drivers. Funny how us 'IT gods' become humbled and tentative when its our own hardware eh?? I knew where the drivers were, but was happy to let the cd take me there hahaha..

5. Downloaded said driver package (Catalyst 7.2). Ran the install, drivers installed OK, but the CCC (Catalyst control centre) through up a 'cli implementation error could not find file object' and would not install.

6. Scoured the net, and found I needed to update my .NET to version 2.0

7. Updated .NET to version 2.0....now this update was 23mb in size; so why the hell does it take about 9 minutes to install?? I find microsoft updates infuriating! After this completed I then needed to run updates to the update; I then noticed in 'optional updates' that there was a .NET 3.0....I stuck my middle finger up at the screen and decided not to engage TEMPER 1.5 and left it at that.

8. Amazingly my PC didnt need to be rebooted Microsoft informed me the updates were complete; so I fired up the CCC to tinker with the card; to only be met with another vague registry error.

9. Rebooted PC and still could not get into the CCC.

10. Uninstalled CCC, Rebooted.

11. Reinstalled CCC, and got into the utility.

12. Temperatures all OK, clocks all correct; oh wow lets fire up a game!!...show me the power baby!!

13. Tomb raider legend with Next Generation Content.....oh yes...my lowly G force 6600 couldnt even access this option; so I clicked the box and fired it up..

The level loaded and I was presented with a lovely textured world and lara was ready to go. I swung the mouse round and as the world came into view........a slideshow!! My disappointment was palpable. I had read somewhere that even high end rigs couldnt play this smoothly so didnt lose heart; and decided to play the C&C demo...

On loading C&C it didnt even get to the menu page, the monitor went black and the status light went orange...."oh no" I thought to myself.

I then reset the PC and it sprang back into life; I tried tomb raider again and it froze within 2 minutes of starting the game.

At this point I knew it was my PSU causing the lockups as on thew dekstop it is fine...under load however it wets itself and dies.

So there you have it, my first nights gaming with my new graphics card....doesnt it all just do your head in???? 8O 8O 8O

M

******** 19/03/2007***********

Eventually got a new card delivered from Overclockers UK on Friday morning, it took them 5 days to test it and return it, and that was with about 5 annoyed phone call sfrom yours truly. I laughed when I was on the phone to the "tech guy" as he tried to make out it was in a big queue and they were flat out; when in the background I heard his colleague say "pass your sun newspaper over dude"...classic stuff.

Anyway had to wait till Saturday to fit it as I had to go and see a friend, so came home and started work. (My said friend pointed out that we actually get more enjoyment from overcoming hardware and software problems than from using these bits of kit for there intended purpose...and hes right you know)...OK here goes...

1. Uninstalled old g force 6600. Rebooted. Shut down.

2. Fitted HIS 1950 512mb card. Turned PC on, nothing completely dead.

3. Took all power cables out except to card, turned on, nothing. dead.

4. Removed card and left mainboard power, turned on and power came to the board (dead card number 2??? no...surely not)

5. Re attached molex connector to card and attached power cables. Turned on and PC powered up.

6. Turned PC off and re attached all other devices, turned PC on, dead.

7. Attached my old 400W PSU to board and it powered up. Attached to card, powered up, attached to all devices and nothing.

8. Re attached new PSU (550W) to board and card, and it powered up, attached to all other devices and it powered up.

9. Booted PC to windows and installed drivers from the CD (it wont work any other way, I learned that from last time).

10. That all went ok (took about 15 minutes including .NET 2.0) Reboot.

11. Updated drivers to Catalyst 7.2 OK

12. Ran Oblivion, and although the card still makes its whiny squeaking noise this one does hold up to a couple of hours gaming. Performance is as follows on my P4 3GHZ 1GB DDR 333MHZ:

Oblivion outside at start of game, 1024x768 all settings maxed except HDR OFF, grass view distance set to 1/3 INT shadows 1/2 EXT shadows 1/2, tree canopy shadows off cant remember any more...

NO AA

FPS Min 12 Ave 29 Max 61

Inside Castle

FPS Min 23 Ave 39 Max 150

Not too bad really, a vast improvement over my previous card where everything was on medium with lower scores.

My 3d mark score was 3650.....is that low?? I think I could get it higher

So ther we have it....just bought some 2GB DDR 400MHZ memory to go with the card which should help with some environment stutter...

comments welcome

M

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
No mate, its just a shared bit of fun which im sure most of us can relate to!

(I will be buying a higher rated PSU tonight, 550w I think...Hiper)

M

sprite

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
There really is a big difference in quality of PSUs isnt there ? Had to nick my Dads 4 year old 250w FSP one to power my 7800GT, C2D, 2GB RAM, 2 Optical drives and 2 HDDs and it actually worked and I was able to play games without it crashing 8O

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, Rated output, actual output; I was on the net looking last night and there are 1000W PSUs!!! I mean what a load of toss, you dont need anythign like it. There is a guy on here who was worried about a 700W PSU and his graphics cards...*sigh*

M

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
ah thats just tough luck. What psu have you got any way?? Bets of luck with a new one. Im using my sapphire x1950 on a 380 watt psu...but im guessing a tagan psu is supposidly of good quality?? havnt had any issues yet....so will just wait and see i guess.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Mines a 400w PSU but I forgot to look at the brand last night. I looked at the voltages and they were piss poor, one 12v rail supplied 15a and the other was 12 i think. Problem is I dont have any free dedicated connectors so ran a split...hence the problem. It works fine on the desktop; its just under load that it dies. Anyway not taking any chances ill get a new higher rated PSU tonight, probably 550w

M

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i never trust psu's that cost as low as that....then again, non of my psu's have yet crossed the £35 mark :lol: (walking a thin line here)

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Try using a driver cleaner.

i doubt its a driver issue here. Plus the guy knows what he is doing....

"1.Got card home, bought burger and chips somehow knowing it was gonna be a long night. Booted pc, uninstalled nvidia 6600 and all related Software; shut PC down. "

then again you might wanna run driver cleaner pro in safe mode to get rid of any remaining nvidia file.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Oh yes, its not over yet, I really should call this part 3, but I thought that would be taking the piss.....bear with me.

1. Last night got home and took out the old 400W PSU.

2. Fitted new 550W PSU, and attached all the power cables feeding one 12v rail from each cable into the Adaptor for the ATI card.

3. Turned PC on and everything booted into windows OK.

4. Fired up tomb raider and noticed that as soon as the graphics card has to do any graphics work it makes a funny high pitched sqeaking/fast clicking noise. This stops and starts around cut scenes/FMV etc. Within 2 minutes the display dies and I have to reboot.

5. Removed all unnecessary power and ran PC with just one HDD, DVD ROM, and the graphics card which now incidentally has an entire cable to itself.

6. Same outcome, squeaking noise and then it dies.

7. Rebooted PC and went into CCC and loaded the ati display adjustment, and it does the same with the graphic preview...funny noise.

I am just about to phone the supplier and request an RMA as I believe this card is faulty, and has something to do with the fan. I didnt put my finger on it to see if the noise stopped which im annoyed about; im sure it would speed up and slow down according to what it is doing so im going with that!....will update here in a bit...im sure this will be useful for others buying these cards hahaha....

M

Any thoughts?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
well, u can try using rivatuner and slowing down/increasing the fan speed and see what happens.

but it does seem like a faulty card.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, got an RMA card is going back tommorrow....so no new card till at least tuesday!

I hope there wont be a part 3...I have a feeling there will hahaha...at least this is amusing me!

M

madmouse67

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Great read, it's amusing me too :lol: Keep us informed, I'm intrigued to find out what happens in next weeks episode. Maybe you should do it live over t'internet.

@ blade85 are you sure he knows what he's doing, no mention of beer anywhere? :wink:

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
What a good idea, get my webcam set up and everyone can see the stroy unravel!

Yea, I think beer will become part 3, next week. I will put it up as part 3; honestly I have only tried ATI once before this time, and they failed me back then on dodgy hardware; so if this doesnt work with a new card; then thats it I am Nvidia until someone else enters the fray..

Keep 'em peeled!

M

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
@ blade85 are you sure he knows what he's doing, no mention of beer anywhere? :wink:

haha, i think he is better off without mixing beer and electronics.

LOL, ATI letting you down? :p thats just bad luck. For me it was the other way around, my nvidia cards would go boom. Luck of the draw really. However the x1950 pro has been having issues with its heat sensors causing the cards to shut off at lower temps.

lets hope your next card does not have a the same problem.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
"However the x1950 pro has been having issues with its heat sensors causing the cards to shut off at lower temps.

lets hope your next card does not have a the same problem"

Thats interesting, that sounds like the fault I have; was it the sapphire cards or the HIS as well?

M

DuncanMcCloud

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
ur pc was making clicking noises?...

was something maybe stuck in ur gfx card fan and did it get louder when the pc tried increasing the fan speed?

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
ur pc was making clicking noises?...

was something maybe stuck in ur gfx card fan and did it get louder when the pc tried increasing the fan speed?

Yes the Graphics Card was making the squeaky/clicking noise when accessing game content such as any menu or gameplay.

I believe it is to do with the heat sensor as the other chap mentioned; although didnt stop the fan to see if it stopped the noise.

M

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006

Are you kidding? Alcohol is way better than 8X Anti-Aliasing.

Whenever I see jagged lines in high res, I have a couple of drinks. Display then looks silky smooth. Oh and women too look much better. I get owned at CSS though lol!

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

Are you kidding? Alcohol is way better than 8X Anti-Aliasing.

Whenever I see jagged lines in high res, I have a couple of drinks. Display then looks silky smooth. Oh and women too look much better. I get owned at CSS though lol!

lmao...cant argue with you there :lol: :lol:

the issue as far as i can tell was with almost every make of the card cause, if im not mistaken, they all have the same method of monitoring the heat. The only difference is the fans they use. Again it depends on the luck of the draw, the sensor may work like a charm for the rest of your life or may give way within 2 mins.

I personally have a sapphire x1950 pro 512mb AGP for the last 4 months or so, Iv never had any issues with it playing any game (FEAR, oblivion, rainbow six vegas)

I do however hear the "whistling" when im on the UT2004 menu, but it vanishes as soon as i enter the game.

soooo...dunno it may just blow up in the next minute...better not jinx myself.