Looking 2 buy a new printer

D

Deleted member 3023

:?: :?:
I'm planning to get a new printer, & was wondering if I could get some help in narrowing the choices down please.

I'd like to get one which prints documents (b&w & color) as well as photos (a variety of sizes would be nice), has a preview screen & built-in memory slots (a USB port for a flash drive would be nice also). It needs to print excellent 4x6 photos (5x7 & 8x10's if possible as well). I'd also like it if the printer has more than 2 seperate ink cartridges w/a low per-ink price & is PC-Free Printing capable. It may be alot to ask, but this is what I'm looking for.

These are being considered:
HP PhotoSmart D8250
HP PhotoSmart D7360
Epson R260 Photo Printer
Epson PictureMate Snap Photo Printer

I was also thinking if I should go w/an all-in-one Printer/Scanner/Copier. Are there any really good ones?

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To Corey,

First off, with your criteria, an inkjet of some description will be required.

But in terms of models you are looking at, I would say none of the above. The Hp models would be good selections---except you will lose your butt keeping it in OEM ink cartridges--photoprinting is very expensive.---with Lexmark and Dell even worse.

The Epson models tend to somewhat more economical---but will have reliability problems---and often clogging problems.

Leaving the chipped Canons as almost the only remaining choice---something like an ip4200 or ip4300 using the CLI_5&8 cartridges will give you the best economy-- OEM cartridge TO OEM cartridge than any other currently produced ink jet on the market---and Canon does offer excellent reliability---with a user removable and serviceable printhead. Which is why Canon predominate on photoprinting forums---especially the older non-chipped Models. Non-chipped Canons using the BCI-3&6 cartridges are super easy to refill---the chipped models add extra hassle---but HUGE savings are possible with refilling---an easy 10X savings
or better.

For Canons inkjets that offer excellent economy in multifunctional form---look for MP numbers 500 and above---and make sure they use the CLI-5&8 cartridges.

But don't take my word for it---read printer reviews at Tom's---or google the nifty stuff forums or steves digicams.

D

Deleted member 3023

Well, I don't do much printing w/my Canon BCI-2100, but will do more w/a new printer. Some color photos of my son & family members from time to time, & my wife does some scrapbooking (getting it for her mostly).

Decided to drop the all-in-one choices.

The 02 HP inks at Target are only $10.00 ea., though small so not sure how long they last.

What are these 'chipped' Canon printers you mentioned? Are they cost effective when it comes to the inks? Do you happen to know how the IP4000, IP6000, IP6600 & IP6700 printers perform when it comes to photo quality & ink cost?

One other thing, do any printers let you print till the ink cartridge is dry? Many I've experienced have you change the cartridge before ALL ink is used, seems like wasting ink to me.

Almost forgot. Do you have a link to the printer reviews on TomsHardware, I can't seem to find it.

Osage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
to Corey,

Sorry for not replying earlier---been too busy to check back. But computing ink jet consumable costs is not that hard---just go to target and look at the box---read the fine print and it will tell you how many ml of ink you get in a cartridge. And then you can divide by the cost to see what it costs per ml.

But when you ask about various Canon printers---I note you list the ip4000. Which is a general purpose Canon printer using the non-chipped BCI-3&6 cartridge line---and if you can find one---get it---but lots of luck finding one any more. The ip6000d also uses the BCI-3&6 non-chipped cartridges---its still somewhat available---but its more of a specialized photo printer. Less good for text---because it drops the large text black cartridge---but gains a photocyan and photo magenta the ip4000 lacks.

The ip6600 and I assume the ip6700 use smaller cartridges than the CLI-5&8 series and will cost more per page.---I am still thinking you would be happier with something like a ip4200 or ip4300.

But if you can find a ip4000 or ip5000---still a few lurking under store shelves---and let your fingers do the walking---you would be best off.
And keep an MP 750, 760, and 780 on the table as choices---they all use the ip4000 non-chipped printer engine for hassle proof refilling.

In terms of Tom's printer reviews---they are under the peripherals section
and but not under the forums periherals---the you have to scrool back and wade through other reviewed items.

D

Deleted member 3023

Haven't been online since Nov. 20th, been busy w/my birthday & upcoming holidays.

Thanks for all the help Osage. I have been able to look at a few printers over the past few days, & still trying to decide.

The Canon ip4000, 4200 & 4300 don't have an LCD or any card slots, which my wife likes due to not having to turn on the computer to print pics. She has stated she likes the Epson R260. The Epson R320 is on-sale @ Staples; & I think I like the Canon ip6000 &6700. The reviews for all have me leaning towards one of the Canon's.