Looking advice for upgrades

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
So.. I'm planning to upgrade my pc a bit, and since for now I can't afford a motherboard and cpu upgrade I was thinking to upgrade RAM as a starting point, the thing is I'm not sure how much my motherboard can handle..

Currently I have an H61MA-D3V, rev 2.1, looking at it's specifications, it seems it could handle 16gb (I have 8) but someone told me that mobo is "limited" to 8gb.. So I'm not really sure of what to do..
In case clock speed is important, it would be 1600mhz on dual sticks

So will the upgrade work? Thanks! ^^

Lutfij

Titan
Your platform supports a maximum of 16GB of DDR3 ram so if you are in the market for a ram upgrade, I'd suggest investing in a 2x8GB DDR3-1600MHz 1.5v kit. Your chipset will limit the frequency to DDR3-1333MHz but if you look on Ebay or Newegg for a 2x8GB DDR3-1333MHz 1.5v kit, it'll be about the same as the kit above. hence buying the DDR3-1600MHz kit suggestion.

I'd suggest selling off the existing ram after the ram kit is operational on your platform. You don't want to mix and match sticks of ram.

Mind sharing your full specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Also make sure you're on the latest BIOS(sans BETA) before your drop in the ram kit.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
There's a slight problem with upgrading ram right now.

Later on, when you have more money, you plan on getting a more modern CPU, it will require DDR4 ram.
Which means you have to buy new sticks of ram again.

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

Yeah the BIOS is up to day, I formated not long ago and also updated it ^^
As for the other specs:

CPU: i5 3570
Motherboard: H61MA-D3V, rev 2.1
Ram: 8gb ddr3 1600 mhz (2x 4gb sticks)
SSD/HDD: HDD Seagate 1tb
GPU: gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb
PSU: Phasak PH0460 460W

joan.arch.enemy

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018

Hmmm I was keeping an eye on the i5 8400... (Not sure if that would be a worthy upgrade tho, I'm not much into upgrading pc's...) But it could be a while until I'm able to purchase the new cpu, for now what I'm looking is better stability while multitasking and to solve that minor stuttering in some games that normally have good fps.. Should I wait a bit more?