Looking at getting Crossfire

supermanz0728

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hey guys need some input here, Currently i have an Asus R9 280x 3gb card and want to get some more FPS at 108p gaming. My main question is will it be worth it to purchase another R9 280x and crossfire them, my mobo supports it. Mainly do i have to get the exact same card or can the r9 280x be a different brand with possibly different speeds? Also is it worth it or should i just go buy a r9 390 and would that get me better performance. Its paired with a FX 8320.

Solution
Do you have a 900w psu?
Here are the psu requirements for R9-280X cf:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Dual cards will win fps benchmarks, but gaming experience is better with a single good card.

Some games do not do support cf.
Because of minor differences in capabilities, two cards will not render their half of the image in exactly the same time.
That leads to stuttering or screen tearing.
Also, look past fps benchmarks to frame time variance.

R9-390 or GTX970 is appropriate for 1080P.
I ran a 280x for almost 2 years. awesome GPU. If I was to improve my fps I'd get a new GPU instead. The only reason to Crossfire is when you want insane fps. Otherwise, most people have 60Hz monitors so there is no need for Crossfire. Just find a suitable gpu to do what you need. If my 280x was failing in what I wanted at 1080p 60Hz then I'd buy a 390 or maybe a 970.

If you have a 8320, I hope you are overclocking it. It's great overclocked but sucks otherwise.

supermanz0728

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
yes i just overclocked it to 4.0 last night, i have the hyper 212 evo cooler. Basically i want to play most shooters and rpg games at 60 fps steady on 1080p, i have a feeling the card is getting to end of life, i got it off ebay from a bitcoin miner and it runs aroung 72 max under load

Do you have a 900w psu?
Here are the psu requirements for R9-280X cf:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Dual cards will win fps benchmarks, but gaming experience is better with a single good card.

Some games do not do support cf.
Because of minor differences in capabilities, two cards will not render their half of the image in exactly the same time.
That leads to stuttering or screen tearing.
Also, look past fps benchmarks to frame time variance.

R9-390 or GTX970 is appropriate for 1080P.

Solution