[SOLVED] Looking at My First Aftermarket Cooler

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I usually just use the one attached to the CPU and I'm now on Main PC number 5, about to build number 6.

This time, I am thinking of an after market cooler to try and quieten things down a little.

I watched some YouTube videos about Be Quiet! fans and got one for my case. Seems okay. For my HTPC build, I went with a Noctua cooler, which was actually my first after market cooler as the processor was bought just as is form good old ebay.

I don't think there's much difference between in terms of noise but I am a little worried about these huge coolers with radiators and stuff sticking right out of the motherboard - are they not heavy enough to snap off?

I'll be dabbling in video encoding, rather uprating from SD to HD (probably no more than 1080p but I bet I'll try a 4k at some point) but it won't be very often or very long. I mainly play a few mid-range games, so not sure I'd need such a huge after market fan?

Planning on buying either an i5 or i7 (I suspect the former as the i7 is an extra £100 for not much better).

Cheers as ever for the advice!

Solution
I don't think there's much difference between in terms of noise but I am a little worried about these huge coolers with radiators and stuff sticking right out of the motherboard - are they not heavy enough to snap off?

Weren't you looking at an Intel 12600k with a Noctua U12S cooler?

That combination should work well.

The U12S is a single tower cooler of moderate weight. Much lighter than dual tower coolers. I wouldn't worry about weight unless the PC was grossly mishandled and thrown around

Weren't you looking at an Intel 12600k with a Noctua U12S cooler?

That combination should work well.

The U12S is a single tower cooler of moderate weight. Much lighter than dual tower coolers. I wouldn't worry about weight unless the PC was grossly mishandled and thrown around

Reactions: Oasis Curator
Solution