Looking at potential transformation

Mar 21, 2020
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8200 that i am looking to do a complete overhaul on, if possible, i wasn't looking at making it $2500 monster but I would like to do some decent gaming on. I know laptops are almost impossible to upgrade so I'm probably out of luck but has anyone ever worked on or upgraded one of these?

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8200 that i am looking to do a complete overhaul on, if possible, i wasn't looking at making it $2500 monster but I would like to do some decent gaming on. I know laptops are almost impossible to upgrade so I'm probably out of luck but has anyone ever worked on or upgraded one of these?

That looks to be a laptop from early 2000s, are you doing it just to do it to spend some time on it because you like the laptop (basically as a toy like an old car) or are you trying to actually use it for something as a system? It may not even have a SATA port for a newer drive, and the RAM is likely to be very limited in the max it can take.

For "decent gaming" you may be able to run some older DOS/Windows 95 games on it, things made when it came out.

Mar 21, 2020
That looks to be a laptop from early 2000s, are you doing it just to do it to spend some time on it because you like the laptop (basically as a toy like an old car) or are you trying to actually use it for something as a system? It may not even have a SATA port for a newer drive, and the RAM is likely to be very limited in the max it can take.

For "decent gaming" you may be able to run some older DOS/Windows 95 games on it, things made when it came out.
Yeah, I'm doing it as kinda a novelty thing. It has this really cool faux wood on it and its pretty awesome looking. Just wanna make it somewhat usable again.

Yeah, I'm doing it as kinda a novelty thing. It has this really cool faux wood on it and its pretty awesome looking. Just wanna make it somewhat usable again.

It's too old to use any newer parts and the RAM limit will be low on it, I am guessing no more than 2gb if that. Best you can do is find a newer and faster drive for it, check what the max RAM is and do a clean setup of whatever Windows it will run.