[SOLVED] Looking at upgrading my monitor

spanky92090

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
I am looking at upgrading my monitor, but was curious to see what my system may be able to handle. I currently have an Asus 60 hz monitor, so I was looking to upgrade to either a higher resolution monitor or a higher refresh rate monitor. Any sugggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Most days I play Final Fantasy 14 and/or Warframe. Not really into the competitive scene though.

CPU: Intel I7-6700K
GPU: Asus ROG GTX 1070 Strix
Ram: 32 GB

Solution
am looking at upgrading my monitor
what are you currently using and what type of fps are you achieving?
curious to see what my system may be able to handle
with lower performing games like FF14 you should be able to maintain ~90fps @ 1080p with a mix of good in-game settings.
probably a little over 60fps @ 1440p.

with newer AAA games probably ~60fps @ 1080p with a mix of mid-high settings and most extra features disabled.
probably near 60fps, possibly a bit under, @ 1440p with lowest settings.

but you could go ahead and upgrade to a better display with intentions to continue to upgrade the rest of the system over time.
you can still always set games to a lower resolution than native if you have trouble getting good fps.
am looking at upgrading my monitor
what are you currently using and what type of fps are you achieving?
curious to see what my system may be able to handle
with lower performing games like FF14 you should be able to maintain ~90fps @ 1080p with a mix of good in-game settings.
probably a little over 60fps @ 1440p.

with newer AAA games probably ~60fps @ 1080p with a mix of mid-high settings and most extra features disabled.
probably near 60fps, possibly a bit under, @ 1440p with lowest settings.

but you could go ahead and upgrade to a better display with intentions to continue to upgrade the rest of the system over time.
you can still always set games to a lower resolution than native if you have trouble getting good fps.

Solution

spanky92090

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
I am currently using a Asus VS247H- 1080p monitor 60 hz.
While running FF14 it says I am currently getting almost 120 fps, 80 in a well populated city.
Running Warframe I seem to be getting around 100 fps in a populated map.

currently using a Asus VS247H- 1080p monitor 60 hz.
While running FF14 it says I am currently getting almost 120 fps, 80 in a well populated city
if you're planning on keeping this same setup for the next couple years at least;
i would go for a nice 120Hz 1080p IPS,
with a fast response time (≤2ms),
and high DCI-P3 % (≥98%).

others prefer VA panels to IPS but i have never had a good experience with them.
you may want to do a bit of research into panel types to see if one appeals to you more than the other.

if you're planning on upgrading the CPU & GPU anytime soon then you may want to go ahead and base this purchase on anticipating that upgrade with a higher resolution, maybe HDR, etc.