Looking For £200 or less Monitor? Is high Hz or 1440p worth it?

mrsuperjolly

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I've been looking for a good monitor to upgrade from my previous 1650x1050 dell display.

At the moment I've been looking at 60Hz full HD monitors with IPS or PLS screens which fit within my budget. most having a decent response time of 8ms or less.

But since my main intention of getting a new screen is to improve my gaming experience I was wondering if having a higher frame rate/higher resolution is more beneficial than having an IPS over a cheaper TN panel.

Especially since my set-up isn't too amazing. With a overclocked R9 270x and a fx 8350. would my PC be able to cope with 1440p without having to lower my games settings to a point where they look worse even with the higher resolution. Or getting a high Hz monitor and not being able to reach the frames in the first place.

In less graphically demanding games like SMITE or 2D ones, I can reach high frame rates but would having a monitor that can support 100+ Hz make much of a difference in games that already have poor textures at ultra settings.

Assuming I'm not going to upgrade my PC parts any time soon, do you have any monitors you can suggest for me?

Solution
It may be worth going to a PC shop and seeing difference displays in action. Personally, I find standard 1980x1080 60Hz displays to be more than adequate and would rather spend the money on a larger screen.

Cccactus

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
It may be worth going to a PC shop and seeing difference displays in action. Personally, I find standard 1980x1080 60Hz displays to be more than adequate and would rather spend the money on a larger screen.

Solution