Looking for 144Hz 1080p 24" Monitor Recommendations

Apr 26, 2018
Hi! I'm finalizing my PC setup and plan to run on a GTX 1060 6GB. I've been looking over several (relatively cheap) 144Hz 1080p 24" monitor options and don't know which one to settle on. These are some I have come up with:

AOC - G2460PF - $196.32
BenQ - XL2411 - $249.00
LG - 24GM79G-B - $244.55
MSI - Optix G24C - $225.07 (Won't be able to use FreeSync as I'm running on GTX)
Asus - VG248QE - $258.99

Which would you suggest, taking price into consideration? If you have any other alternatives, I wouldn't mind them either. Thanks!

Solution
That's as good as it gets for the price.

The 29" I recommended you is normally $275 but is discounted to $230 right now. Who knows how long the discount will last, I've seen stuff on Amazon selling at 50% off and stay that way for months on end.

There's a 25" version selling on Newegg for $159 and is normally $200 and who knows how long that could last too.

Here's the 25" version if you're interested
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025340&ignorebbr=1

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would personally go with the LG or the ASUS. The others are also good with the exception of the MSI one.
Alternatively, do you really expect to get more than 120 tops in FPS in your games? Especially since you will have to run games with a medium/high mix unless you are playing a less demanding or well optimized game.
My personal recommendation is to go with this monitor if you are interested.
2560x1080 for ultrawide awesomeness
75Hz (depending on the connection type you use you may end up stuck with 60hz which is perfectly fine to be honest. I've used all kinds of refresh rates and have found that gaming at 60hz is perfectly fine)
29"
AND, it's got an IPS panel for better colors and viewing angels.
and it fits in your budget at $230 right now while it's discounted
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B67KAQ4/?tag=pcpapi-20

Apr 26, 2018

Thanks for the response.

I want to, preferably, hit a consistent 60 FPS on High settings in games that are relatively demanding. Would that not be possible with my GPU?

For the most part, I plan to play competitive shooters (i.e. CS:GO, Fortnite: Battle Royale). I've heard 144Hz makes a big difference in this genre, and as such, if possible, I wouldn't like to go down to 60-75Hz, although the monitor you suggested looks awesome and reviews for it are great.

Thanks again!

Apr 26, 2018

Thanks for the response.

The VG248QE is one of the monitors I'm considering the most, currently. Are there any other locations you suggest I purchase it? Or by "for that price" do you mean waiting for a sale?

If not, I'm pretty sure I'll settle for either the LG 24GM79G-B or the AOC G240PF. There's a price difference of almost $50 there, though, so which would you recommend? Both of those fit in my budget, so I could go for the higher-priced LG, but if you think the money is better spent on the AOC, it'd probably be best to save it for a peripheral upgrade.

Thanks again!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
in regards to hitting 60fps you will do just fine. as for the higher refresh rate for fast paced first person shooters (with the exception of fortnite since higher than 60hz won't really do you much since it's a third person shooter) it can result in better performance on your part as a player but only if you have the skill necessary to take advantage of the little bit of improvement you get response time wise with the faster refresh rates. playing FPS games at 60hz is perfectly fine and going up is only an improvement not a requirement assuming you have the ability to adapt to the higher refresh rate and take advantage of the minor difference it can make depending.

And to reach that 100fps in a first person shooter game would be easy enough for games like CS:GO and Fortnite since they don't require too much for graphics. But as for other games such as high end AAA titles don't expect much.
To put it into perspective for you, I have an ASUS GTX 1070 Strix overclocked to 2Ghz and I only get about 80fps average on high in Ghost Recon Wildlands and 75-85fps on high in Rise of the Tomb Raider and about 75fps average on a mix of max and high settings in Assasin's Creed Origins.
All at 1920x1080 resolution.

So it won't be easy for you to hit 100+fps without going for medium or medium/high mix in games like that after you overclock your GPU.

So that is why overall I recommended you the better quality monitor that is ultrawide at 75hz for an enjoyable gaming experience. Plus, as time goes on, with your 1060 you will be seeing a drop in performance fps wise as games get more graphically demanding resulting in FPS getting closer and closer to 60 as time goes on or you having to lower the graphic quality to keep up the higher refresh rate. So in the end 60hz is what you should shoot for as your fps mark and if you are capable of pushing more than that at high quality graphic settings then that just means that you can continue to play games at 60hz with high settings for longer as games get more demanding until you reach the tipping point where you either need to lower the quality or get a better card, but with a goal like 60hz you won't come to see that day anytime soon.

So in the end, it's entirely up to you though. If a higher refresh rate monitor is what you want and you will do what's necessary to achieve those framerates in first person shooter games then go with something like the LG or the BenQ that you listed. Otherwise, if you can be fine with 60hz like most people are and would prefer higher quality graphics then go with something like what I recommended.

The VG248QE was released over 5 years ago, it's one of the first 144 Hz monitors ever made. The only reason it's still sold is because people keep buying it for some reason, even though there are far superior options for cheaper. Compared to the G2460PF for example, the ASUS is stuck with a PWM (flickering) backlight, 60 Hz HDMI limit, and no FreeSync support, and is $50 more expensive, when it wouldn't be worth it even if they were the same price; I wouldn't consider the ASUS unless it was on a pretty steep discount. It's worth $180 new at the most.

I'm not sure if the LG is worth $50 over the AOC, but certainly moreso than the ASUS is.

Apr 26, 2018

Thanks! That wipes the ASUS off the list. Now all I have left to decide is whether that $50 is worth it. Thanks for your help, once again!

Apr 26, 2018

In regards to your first paragraph, I don't think skill is an issue. Not to say I'm amazing at the game, but I'm proud to have reached MG2 on a 2011 Mac which was already pretty screwed up before I started playing.

Also, my CPU is an i5-8400 Locked Processor, so I can't OC :/

Apart from that, I understand the issue with having to either upgrade my GPU or lower the graphics quality in a few years, as time passes. I'm not too worried, as I intend to either upgrade to a 1070/1080 within the next 2-3 years or activate SLI using another 1060.

Even so, if I were to remain with the 1060 6GB, why could I not just change the refresh rate itself (I'm pretty sure it's possible in Nvidia's settings) rather than lowering the graphics quality? As time passes and my GPU begins to have difficulty running on the settings I am currently on, I could lower it down to 75Hz and then to 60Hz and keep the same graphics.

That would offer the same solution you're proposing but still allow me to keep the 144Hz as long as my GPU can handle it. This is, obviously, if I decide not to get a 1070/1080 within the next 2-3 years or use SLI.

Do you still believe I should go for your suggestion, or should I go for the LG? Not trying to contradict you or anything, just asking for a final suggestion after everything I've stated. Thanks again.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Assuming the monitor in question has the ability to switch modes (which it should) and you want the higher refresh rate then go for it, it's all up to you and what you want in the end. I just offer my perspective on the matter of refresh rates, since for me personally I never found having a monitor with a higher refresh rate and playing games at those higher rates to be an improvement worth the extra money when I could game on a 60hz monitor with higher resolution or better quality panel for that money or for less money since my mindset is geared towards getting only what's necessary for as little money as possible and I don't personally like to spend more money than I really should on things that aren't necessary to me. For example, I just bought myself two monitors that are 1080p and 21.5in without the bezels (so the actual size of the screen) and run at 60hz with a 5ms response time and they are older monitors from about 2010 and only connect with DVI or VGA but they have great color reproduction and great viewing angels and can do 3D because when they came out they went for about $450 but I bought them brand new from some guy on offerup for $35 a pop so I spent $70 on two 1080p 60Hz monitors that have really nice quality panels because I'm more concerned about quality of picture and price than refresh rates since for me 60hz is perfectly fine.
But to each their own.
And also, yes, you should be able to adjust the refresh rate option through nvidia but you can also do so through windows settings as well.

Apr 26, 2018

I suppose that'd be it, then. I'll have to look at my final budget and decide whether or not the $20-25 extra I'd be paying for the 144Hz is worth it.

Finally, do you suggest if I go for a 60-75Hz monitor I go for the one you'd suggested earlier (LG 29UM58-P) or do you have any other suggestions up to $250?

Keep in mind I don't live in the U.S. or Europe, so I'll only buy the monitor in a few months when a family member is going to travel abroad. As such, I most likely won't be able to take advantage of the discount currently on the LG 29UM58-P. Thanks again for your help.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
That's as good as it gets for the price.

The 29" I recommended you is normally $275 but is discounted to $230 right now. Who knows how long the discount will last, I've seen stuff on Amazon selling at 50% off and stay that way for months on end.

There's a 25" version selling on Newegg for $159 and is normally $200 and who knows how long that could last too.

Here's the 25" version if you're interested
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025340&ignorebbr=1

Solution