Question Looking for 1st UPC. Is a used MinuteMan OK?

kenmtb

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Hi-
I am looking for a UPC for my PC and monitor. Would a used unit like a MinuteMan ETR1000 be a smart choice?
I believe the unit is line interactive and the battery is around $20.
Thanks
Ken

kenmtb

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
The picture said "Entrust Series", I didn't see TXL or RT. Honestly if the unit will reliably let me shut off my PC in a storm Ill be happy. Thanks

From the listing:
Price: $54.99
  • Brand: MinuteMan
  • Model: ETR1000
  • MPN: 90000735
Product Description:
Eight (8) Outlet Line Interactive UPS, 1000VA/600W Load Capacity, 120/120 Input/Output, SentryPlus Software; Features: USB Communications, Buck/Boost Voltage Regulation, Slim-line Profile, SentryPlus(tm) Software, Larger Load Capacities

Seller Notes:“Previously owned. Appears in good condition with no cosmetic flaws. Surge Only Outlet array is tested and working. Unit has been tested and verified with a working battery, though it has been removed for this listing. UPS was able to charge the battery, draw power from the battery when not plugged in, and supply power through the outlets.”

Nevermind.. Found it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MinuteMan-...kup-Battery-Line-Interactive-UPS/123806662385

That's not even the LCD model. Wow. That's pretty old.

Seems to be a reputable seller. What I would do is put in the new battery, let it fully charge, then unplug it with your PC running on it (with nothing important running, of course) and see how long it lasts.

What are your system specs? What kind of PSU do you have? All this will play a part on how long this UPS will run.

For reference: A similar quality UPS can be bought from Amazon for $109.95, with batteries, and it has an LCD that tells you your line voltage, load and battery status... free shipping and a 3 year warranty. So think long about whether or not you're actually "saving any money".

kenmtb

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Good point! I should have included the listing sorry.
After thinking about what you said, it would be better and simpler to just get the new supply.
My system:
PSU: 240W

Model:Dell Inspiron 3650MPN:Inspiron_3650
Operating System Edition:ProfessionalStorage Type:HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Operating System:Windows 7Processor Type:Intel Core i5-6400 Processor
Graphics Processing Type:Integrated Intel HD GraphicsBrand:Dell
Custom Bundle:YesForm Factor:Mini Tower
Processor Speed:2.70 GHzMost Suitable For:Casual Computing
Features:Built-in Media Reader, Built-in Bluetooth Adapter, Optical DriveHardware Connectivity:HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, VGA
Memory:8 GB DDR3L RAMBundle Description:Includes Desktop Computer and Power Cord ONLY. Does NOT Include a Keyboard or Mouse.
Hard Drive Capacity:1 TBUPC:Does not apply

And your monitor is ???? probably a 24" LCD? If so, probably 90W power brick?

If so, 1000VA/600W is total overkill. The UPS would keep it going for an hour. But that's not a bad thing, right?

Amazon is having a sale on Cyberpower UPS's right now. They have a full range of wattages, but do get one with the LCD on it. It's REALLY helpful as it tells you line voltage, load at mains and how much charge/life the battery has.

kenmtb

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
oh duh I have 2 24 inch monitors. I would just like something that can keep things going for a few minutes while I shut things down gracefully. I am trying to avoid a sudden shutdown during a storm while saving something important.

TRENDING THREADS