Question Looking for 1Tb SATA SSD Best Suited for 4K Recording

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Hi,
So right now I stand between 1TB 860 EVO or MX500, the PRO is out of the questions, too expensive.
Which of these two above best suited for this task? Or maybe another driver or even cheaper?
The SSD goes into Ninja V, it only has SATA, not even M.2 format, just plain 2.5 inch slot.
This device record 4K/HDR 422 video, in very high bit-rates in ProRes or Avid DNxHD formats.
2.5Inch HDD can be used too and its actually fine for FHD, but not for my use which is 4K.
So please take all this into account, I dont care about random performance, I need high sequential performance, so the video wont have any skips, a YT by name EposVox said he had skips on 500GB WD Blue [maybe it was the regualr non 3D version].

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
I personally own 4 Crucial MX500 SSDs and 1 Samsung Evo 850 and they are all good SSDs.
So choose which ever you like more or can get at a lower price.

Thats not what I asked, I asked which one wont choke out on me during long sequential writes.
4K/HDR is Huge size, Huge bitrate and you need to write it non stop for 1-2 or more hours, its one long Sequential write, non stop.
Most consumer SATA SSDs choke and "die", they have SLC cache and their NAND is slow [QLC or regualr TLC], for example Samsung 860 QVO 1TB, drops to 85MB/s after 42gb of writes [85MB/s is slower then modern HDD], the 2/4TB versions drops to 160MB/s after you written 78GB

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I never transfer really large files so I can't directly answer that question.
BUT I suggest you read a few reviews of the MX500 1 TB and the 860 Evo 1 TB and see what the experts have to say on that subject.

EDIT
This might help you.
I just did a quick test and copied a 49.3 GB folder from my 500 GB MX500 to my 1 TB MX500 and the speeds were around 480-505 MBps but did dip down to 385 or so once somewhere in the middle of the transfer.
It did not choke out as you put it though.

Last edited:

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
I never transfer really large files so I can't directly answer that question.
BUT I suggest you read a few reviews of the MX500 1 TB and the 860 Evo 1 TB and see what the experts have to say on that subject.

Oh believe me I did, I have opened maybe over google pages of different reviews, in all of them it looks like they never drop below 400 MB/s, but they never actually encoded a video, which is different process, it takes heavy load, they used synthetic benchmarks or copy paste.
If these drives were really doing 400MB/s as MINIMUM as stated in Sequential benchmarks, then why they use SLC cache? Whats the point if the NAND is already fast?
I think what happens is when they benchmark they cant hit the drive hard enough, like happens with video encoding, so the drive just copies the data from SLC cache to NAND in the background, so it looks like its fast.
So basically I hope to find anyone who maybe uses some media encoding tools, or has PC capture card [preferably 4K] or does Game Capture like with OBS or Nvidia Experience, or edits videos, anyone like that

Reactions: DMAN999