Looking for 30" (or more) UHD with good contrast and viewing angles

apertotes

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
I am looking to buy a new monitor. I already have a gaming monitor, so I want a general usage one, for spreadsheets, a bit of CAD, etc.

This is what I want:
1. 3840x2160
2. 2000:1 contrast or better
3. Good viewing angles
4. 30" or larger
5. Color and brightness uniformity

Thing I do not care about:
1. Refresh rate or input lag
2. Color accuracy
3. Extras (speakers, g-sync, HDR, usb connections)

After several hours researching, I haven't been able to find a display that meets requirements 2 and 3 at the same time. It seems that to have deep blacks you need a VA panel, and those have weak viewing angles. On the other hand, IPS panels have great viewing angles and uniformity but suffer from not so good contrast.

So, it seems that I am looking for the VA display with the best viewing angles and uniformity or the IPS display with the best contrast. Anybody knows which are those by heart?

Thank you!

nukemaster

Titan
This depends on the person.

In order to make a monitor faster, manufacturers use something called overdrive. When pushed too far, it can lead to
inverted/inverse ghosting(this is also called overshoot). This may be distracting to some users. Even fast TN panels can have overshoot(but it generally lasts a shorter time with higher refresh rates and TN panels are generally much faster than V/A) to begin with.

It will be best to check out some reviews. I like TFT central reviews for this, but clearly no website can review every monitor on the market. Checking monitors in a local store is also a good option if you can do that.

I am not making a direct recommendation because I simply have not owned enough monitors to give you a good recommendation. For that reason I am sticking to the details about panel types.

nukemaster

Titan
VA panel viewing angles are not that bad. They are still much better than TN panels and are the best option for higher contrast.

Some will say VA panels crush blacks. I like to think off angle expands dark colors making head on viewing look crushed.

I am not saying VA have no color shift(even IPS does have some), but it is not that bad. I know you do not care about refresh rate, but VA response times can be rather slow leading to more ghosting at times.

It would be best to try to fine a monitor in store to look at.

apertotes

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Thanks a lot! Can ghosting be a problem even when not playing? Like scrolling fast on an online newspaper or moving items in the desktop? Or watching YouTube videos?

nukemaster

Titan
This depends on the person.

In order to make a monitor faster, manufacturers use something called overdrive. When pushed too far, it can lead to
inverted/inverse ghosting(this is also called overshoot). This may be distracting to some users. Even fast TN panels can have overshoot(but it generally lasts a shorter time with higher refresh rates and TN panels are generally much faster than V/A) to begin with.

It will be best to check out some reviews. I like TFT central reviews for this, but clearly no website can review every monitor on the market. Checking monitors in a local store is also a good option if you can do that.

I am not making a direct recommendation because I simply have not owned enough monitors to give you a good recommendation. For that reason I am sticking to the details about panel types.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS