Looking for 300$-ish video card

Perryhawk99

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
Looking for a 300 or less dollar video card. My current set up is Intel i5 6500k, gtx 750 ti, 8 gb ram. Looking to play games like destiny 2 and bo3 medium to high resolution/framerate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
Yep.
Sorry, but you really should WAIT due to the stupid crypto issues. It may be two or more months before prices drop again.

*When you do find prices are good (i.e. GTX1060 6GB starting at $250USD or so) then use the following as a guide for VALUE (FPS vs DOLLAR):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/30.html

(There's more to it than FPS vs DOLLAR but I'll leave it there. Both the RX-580 and GTX1060 6GB are fairly similar overall. The RX-580 should do better in FUTURE games but tends to cost more even when prices are more normal.)

If it fits the case, the Asus Strix (for any card) is one of my favorite coolers. When prices where lower the single-fan EVGA GTX1060 6GB was $250USD, and the 3-fan Asus Strix was...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
1) 6500k isn't a thing

2) A couple of weeks ago the answer would have been a 1070 but the dang mining has all of the prices messed up they're now $600 and 580s and 1060s are messed up too honestly I'd wait for the mining craze to go away before I bought anything

Yep.
Sorry, but you really should WAIT due to the stupid crypto issues. It may be two or more months before prices drop again.

*When you do find prices are good (i.e. GTX1060 6GB starting at $250USD or so) then use the following as a guide for VALUE (FPS vs DOLLAR):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/RX_580_Nitro_Plus/30.html

(There's more to it than FPS vs DOLLAR but I'll leave it there. Both the RX-580 and GTX1060 6GB are fairly similar overall. The RX-580 should do better in FUTURE games but tends to cost more even when prices are more normal.)

If it fits the case, the Asus Strix (for any card) is one of my favorite coolers. When prices where lower the single-fan EVGA GTX1060 6GB was $250USD, and the 3-fan Asus Strix was as low as $280USD (may be rebates). So for about $30 difference you got a larger cooler that was QUIETER under load and could maintain a slightly higher frequency better.

Solution
You can get a used 980 ti for that much or less and it will be almost as fast as a gtx 1070, best option IMO for ~$300. Just buy something from a brand that honors warranties for the second user like EVGA. Sounds like all you really need would be a GTX 970 though, which would be a lot less. I'd buy another 8GB of RAM if you want to run brand new games. What PSU do you have?