Looking for 750w+ power supply w/ 4 x 8 pin PCI-E

ccassityabr

Commendable
Dec 31, 2017
I am looking for a 750w+ power supply that has 4 x 8 pin PCI-E for around 50 dollars. I an needing to power two Sapphire R9 Nitro Fury Cards for mining, which pull 250-300 watts each.

If this is not possible for the price, I am considering the use of adaptors, however I am almost certain Molex adaptors would not work. Is this correct? Is it safe to use 6 to 8 pin pcie adaptors?

Any advice would be appreciated!
System build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6yJqYr

Solution
With a 24/7 100% load situation you definitely don't want to use molex or 6 to 8-pin adapters. I think you should increase your budget for a power supply given your demanding needs. Better to get a good quality power supply than to have a cheap one short out your whole system and take some other parts with it.

This isn't exactly the power supply I'd recommend for your situation, but I would recommend it over any $50 750W power supply with respect for your budget. It's on sale for this price and it has 4x 8-pin PCIe.
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)

Other better options.
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power...
With a 24/7 100% load situation you definitely don't want to use molex or 6 to 8-pin adapters. I think you should increase your budget for a power supply given your demanding needs. Better to get a good quality power supply than to have a cheap one short out your whole system and take some other parts with it.

This isn't exactly the power supply I'd recommend for your situation, but I would recommend it over any $50 750W power supply with respect for your budget. It's on sale for this price and it has 4x 8-pin PCIe.
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)

Other better options.
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)

*I would strongly encourage you to go with one of the better options. They are rated for higher temperature operation.

Solution
According to reviews total system power with a single R9 Fury was 335W. So the GPU alone must be around 250W or less. I'd say 750W would work but I would personally get the SeaSonic 850W right now if you can because it's on sale.

Plus mining people tend to lower power consumption as much as possible, which is something I would encourage OP to do.

And two smaller high quality power supplies would still cost more than $100.

It's more than 250W, a lot more, was one of the most power hungry cards around and still is.

A good 850W PSU would be min for 2 of them, one that can actually take that load 24/7/365.

Something like a RMX 850W or Prime Gold 850W.

Mark RM

Admirable
The thing is when you mine, normally you run the motherboards off whatever crap is lying around, even pico PSU's. Then you buy a cheap ass server supply with a plat rating and a breakout board for your cards, the concept being , as many as you can from one PSU and clean stable power.

That would be the best way to go about it. Only problem is most small-time miners have their rigs inside their house. So a server power supply would be considerably loud to live with. If you had an extra room to close off of a basement or something it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Mark RM

Admirable

I bought a small public school for my miners, but I keep about 20/30 cards here at the house so I can experiment with BIOS/mining software/different block chains. Everything is in the basement, we really don't hear it. I do get what you're saying though. It's fine in winter anyhow, the excess heat go to heat the house and it's been below -30 at nights.

ccassityabr

Commendable
Dec 31, 2017
Thanks for the input everyone!
I decided to go with Volkgren's suggestion of the Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg). Many thanks this is exactly what I was needing.

The reason I am not going with a higher power supply is because both graphics cards have an option where you can switch to an economy bios making them consume >250 watts. After much testing and overclocking in my main rig, I found no significant differences in the hash rate or gaming performance between the two bios options. So I will leave the cards in economy mode and will they will not be overclocked.
Thanks again everyone!

TRENDING THREADS