[SOLVED] Looking for 850W PSU recommendations for a Zen 3 + 3080 system

Oct 9, 2020
Hi everyone,

I’m building my first PC and I’ve been stuck on finalizing a PSU. I live in Canada and my main use case will be 1440p/4K gaming + streaming.

Build:
CPU: Planning for a Ryzen 5900X
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO
MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk
RAM: DDR4 3600 CL16
SSD: 1TB NVME SSD
GPU: RTX 3080 FTW3 U
Case: Phanteks P500A DRGB

I’m looking at the following:
- Corsair RM850x Gold (179.99CAD)

- Corsair HX850 Platinum (234.99CAD)

- Corsair AX850 Titanium (279.99CAD)

but I’m open to any suggestions/recommendations.

Thank you!

Solution
No, I wouldn't. If I was going to go with a Titanium model, I'd go with (And DID) a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium, which was moderately less expensive than the AX and had exemplary reviews from all sources including Aris.

That's normally though, and right now, is NOT a "normal" market situation, as you've probably noticed over the last five months. You can thank a variety of reasons for that including Covid 19, increased US tariffs and tensions between the US and China.

Right now, for your market, that HX is pretty much the sweet spot if you want a high end unit without having to take out a loan. The AX and AXi models are not even available right now in your market from what I can see but availability changes rapidly these days.
Reactions: Kxdri
Oct 9, 2020
Any of those is a good choice. Excellent in fact.

Even the Seasonic Focus plus would be a fine choice if you need to shave a few bucks off.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $159.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-09 20:33 EDT-0400

I've heard great things about the Seasonic, but I'm willing to pitch in a few extra dollars for more silent performance. If you had to recommend one of the Corsairs, which would you go with?

Personally, if it were for ME, I think I'd shell out the extra money for the HX, but there is certainly nothing wrong with going with the RMx and saving a few bucks either considering how expensive these things are in your region. I sure hope you guys have like a 20.00 per hour minimum wage considering how much more expensive all types of hardware is there. It's the same way in Australia as well. Makes little sense. All this stuff has to be container shipped from China anyhow, doesn't seem like it would cost that much more in either of those countries than it does in the US and UK. I guess maybe tariffs and duties account for a lot of it maybe.

No, I wouldn't. If I was going to go with a Titanium model, I'd go with (And DID) a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium, which was moderately less expensive than the AX and had exemplary reviews from all sources including Aris.

That's normally though, and right now, is NOT a "normal" market situation, as you've probably noticed over the last five months. You can thank a variety of reasons for that including Covid 19, increased US tariffs and tensions between the US and China.

Right now, for your market, that HX is pretty much the sweet spot if you want a high end unit without having to take out a loan. The AX and AXi models are not even available right now in your market from what I can see but availability changes rapidly these days.

Solution
Oct 9, 2020
Yeah, prices are really high due to the factors you've mentioned. Unfortunately, the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium is currently more expensive than the AX in Canada. Also, the AX is actually in stock on Amazon, its just not showing up on PCPartPicker.

Never thought I'd be so indecisive on a PSU of all parts, haha.