Looking for a 100$-130$ Motherboard

Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys, I thought about changing to pc from a ps4 for gaming. I wanted to use the ryzen 3 2200g as my CPU but I wanted a good quality motherboard. Specifically a B450 or Budget x470.
What are your opinions about the Asus ROG B450 F Gaming and the Aorus X470 or the B450 one? Mention other minis as well if you have any background or experience.

Solution
Where do you see that board for less than 135?

This is the best board I can see under 150 bucks, and you'd be looking at about ten bucks more than you wanted to spend. The next lowest priced X470 board drops the quality and number of power phases considerably. This price includes a ten dollar rebate, so the initial price is about ~10-12 bucks more than you wanted. The next option I'd see would be the Aorus X470 Ultra gaming at about 130 bucks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.87 @ Newegg)
Total: $138.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-11 03:23...
Sep 11, 2018

Well yeah actually, I was planning on of my both the graphics and the CPU itself on the ryzen 3 2200g.
Also I was keen on getting dual 4Gb RAM at 3000MHz and might overclock it.

Then you want a motherboard with X470 chipset. The X470 have much better power delivery, VRM configurations. For overclocking, it's the one feature you always want to choose the better option on.

What's the most you can afford to spend on just the motherboard? Squeezing the budget as much as possible, since the motherboard is generally the second most important part of the build, next to the power supply, which is the most important.

Sep 11, 2018

Can you suggest a budget X470 motherboard not more than 135$
And is the X470 Aorus Wi-Fi suitable?

Where do you see that board for less than 135?

This is the best board I can see under 150 bucks, and you'd be looking at about ten bucks more than you wanted to spend. The next lowest priced X470 board drops the quality and number of power phases considerably. This price includes a ten dollar rebate, so the initial price is about ~10-12 bucks more than you wanted. The next option I'd see would be the Aorus X470 Ultra gaming at about 130 bucks.

Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.87 @ Newegg)
Total: $138.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-11 03:23 EDT-0400

Solution
Sep 11, 2018

So you suggest staying away from B450 motherboards. Alright in terms of the X470 Boards, I would like to know what are the advantages of the Asrock Board over the X470 Aorus Ultra gaming? And does the Aorus have Bluetooth?

Sep 11, 2018

One last thing, how does the MSI X470 Gaming Plus compare to the Asrock Board?
By the way, I really appreciate your help, I would've bought a really lousy board and ruined my system if it weren't for you!

So, even though MSI has supposedly improved things over the last few years, and they do make very good graphics cards, I've had too many issues in the past with the quality control on MSI motherboards and have seen too many complaints and problems with them here, even during those last few years where they had supposedly improved things, to use or recommend them except when it's a fairly high tiered board model. Even then, there are usually as good or better units available from ASUS, ASRock or even Gigabyte, for me to take any chances messing around with an MSI board.

I've also found MSI to have one of the most hassle oriented RMA processes of any hardware vendor I've dealt with, so I basically just avoid them unless either the sale price is so good it can't be ignored or a client has already purchased one of their boards and there is no choice.

Quality and performance on most ASRock and ASUS motherboards is very good. In reality, the quality and features of most motherboards priced over 120 bucks these days is usually pretty good and the biggest thing you need to do is pay attention to whether the specific chipset and the features on any given board are going to give you what you are looking for and expect because there can be minor, but significant differences from board to board. One board might only have four SATA headers when you are planning to connect six drives.

Another might only have two or three fan headers and you need to connect 7 fans and didn't want to have to use a bunch of splitters or extensions. These are the types of things that can drive you nuts and are especially prevalent when people accidentally get a micro-ATX board (Usually indicated by a letter M after the chipset, for example, Z170M-gaming 5, B360M-DS3H, etc.) rather than an ATX board as most mATX boards are smaller and usually have less of everything, PCI slots, fan headers, SATA headers, memory slots, etc.

Sep 11, 2018

I had the following Motherboards on my mind:
Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
Asrock X470 Master or Fatality K4
MSI X470 GAMING Plus
I wanted 5+ fan headers and all my fans are RGB
About the SATA Ports I only need 4
Its good to have 2 M.2 slots and SLI and Departure capability.
Any other suggestions? I'm using a Ryzen 3 2200g and would love to overclock it and the igpu aswell as my RAM which is 2×4GB 3000MHZ

The X470 Master and the X470 Fatality K4 both have 12 phase power delivery. Either would be a good choice in that price range.

Are you building this system from scratch?

What other components have you selected? Can you provide a list of what your tentative component choices are for case, power supply, memory, case, etc., in addition to the CPU and motherboard? Storage? Graphics card?

Sep 11, 2018
Ram: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
Storage: (2tb Seagate Barracuda + 128GBssd) or (Seagate - Constellation ES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive)
PSU: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: nopt yet decided but will get one with 5+fans which are RGB
Graphics Card will be bought later down the line with additional ssd if needed

Sounds good. I'll tell you now though, that BQ unit is not very good. It did pretty poorly in testing IIRC.

I'm also not too sure about the compatibility of the Team Dark modules with Ryzen. Have you run any of this yet or is it still in the planning phase?

Sep 11, 2018

I'm still in the planning force, if you have any suggestions please do tell me. Additionally, of I can't get my hands on many RGB components, can i get led strips and connect them to the motherboard and be able to control them via a software?

Absolutely. Almost all mid to upper tiered motherboard, and even some of the lower tiered boards, have onboard LED lighting headers that can be used with strips of LEDs. There are also aftermarket varieties like I have in my case, which is the NZXT Hue+. Probably easier and cheaper to use the MB lighting though.

I like LED illumination on SOME fans, and LED strip lighting but I'm not a big fan of everything being RGB or LED illuminated. Too much lighting just clashes and makes it gaudy. To each their own though I reckon.

What is your FULL budget for the entire build, and which exact parts do you NEED that you don't already have?

Sep 11, 2018

I still haven't purchased any part
But I plan on keeping it about 500$
I've seen several tempered glass cases that I like under 55$ and might think of one.

So, I didn't realize that the 2200G is a four core ONLY CPU. No hyperthreads. You can probably get away with a less expensive motherboard. You don't need AS good of power delivery for an overclock with that CPU as you would with a higher tiered Ryzen CPU.

This is about as close as I can get to that budget, and if you want a tempered glass case that brings any quality to the table you'll need to pitch in a few more bucks. Should be a pretty reliable, decent quality build as is though. The Focus G is probably about the best case currently out there under 60 bucks. Might be a couple of others in that conversation as well, but they'll probably lack some of the features this case has.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF B450-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($47.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.91 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $522.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-12 14:57 EDT-0400

Sep 11, 2018

I can't thank you enough for what you did. Btw I think I'll replace the mobo with the Asus ROG strx gaming f, and looks for cheaper ran that's around 85$

I just hope you are aware that you are comparing apples to oranges. And you have chosen the lowest end PC build for gaming.

Without a discreet card you will have the lowest level of graphics (other than intel iGPU).

Sep 11, 2018

Well that's the whole point of getting a powerful psu and a motherboard with enough pcie slots to add a graphics card later down the line

Yes, that PSU, while not of the highest and best performance, nor lowest levels of ripple, etc., is still fairly reliable and is in no way comparable to the CX units of the old days. The newer units are fairly decent. Will they last as long as a 12 year warranty Seasonic. Of course not. BUT, they have good protections, use much better caps than they used to and will likely last at least five years.

You should also be able to use practically any graphics card you want with the capacity of that unit, even with some overclocking involved.

I would be very careful about making changes to memory. Ryzen is very fickle and I'm currently working about four other threads where it is probable they will need to buy new memory as they cannot get the memory they bought to run at anything beyond the stock speed of 2133mhz, even though the modules in question are XMP valued at 3000-3200mhz. Ryzen is very finicky about the ICs (Memory chips) and timings on memory modules. G.Skill or Corsair modules using Samsung B-die ICs are highly recommended if you want to run memory at higher speeds. Models that have been verified as being viable for use with Ryzen platforms can be found here:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

I would especially avoid modules using Hynix M-die modules. Ryzen really seems to dislike those. Any memory will likely work with Ryzen, just not always at specific timings or at high speeds.