[SOLVED] Looking for a 1440p gaming monitor.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I'm try'in to upgrade my 1080p monitor to a 1440p. I have a 9900k + 1070 Nvidia. (I plan on upgrading to perhaps the 4000 series) *whenever it releases.

I'm wanting a monitor with all the features. Like:
  • 144hz +
  • g-sync
  • beautiful display colors
  • HDR (Even though it wont be needed to much, i'd still like to have the option).
  • whatever else is good. xD
My budget is probably 500-700$. I'm mainly playing Dead by Daylight, and alot of single-player games. So i'm interested in a 27inch or perhaps max a 32inch.

I'm currently looking at these monitors:
  • LG 27GL850-B 27
  • SAMSUNG 27-inch Odyssey G7 - QHD 1000R Curved Gaming Monitor
  • ASUS ROG Swift PG329Q 32"

Any other recommendations is much appreciated. Again, i'm coming from a 1080p. No g-sync or anything. Just a 1080p 144hz. So im sure this'll be a big upgrade.

Dec 27, 2020
In addition to LG 27GL850 also take a look at:
  • ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A
  • ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q
  • AORUS FI27Q (FI27Q-P is newer but probably doesn't justify the extra cost)
The above are all 27" monitors and I believe that's the sweet spot for 1440p. I went with VG27AQL1A since it has in-built speakers (don't want to wear my headset 24/7) and takes the least amount of space on my desk. You can't go wrong with either of them, just do some research and find the right one for you; worst case scenario is return it if you don't like it.

larsv8

Distinguished
There is no "best" when it comes too monitors. Its all about trade offs. Certain monitors perform well in some categories at the cost of performance in others. It comes down to what you is important to you when viewing an image.

I suggest going to youtube and watching a few monitor reviews (specifically hardware unboxed). One it will point you too comparable monitors in the class and two, it will familiarize yourself with the different performance metrics and then you can choose what's important to you.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
@Vegetto19 @larsv8

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't notice this thread got any replies. I appreciate all the feedback. I also agree, it does come down to preference, and I do agree on there is no "best". I just want to avoid going through returning the monitors over and over until I find the one. I don't think I'll tell the difference when viewing an image. As i'm coming from a Asus vg248qe monitor.

I believe, coming from that to a IPS would be much difference in terms of color and more vivid?. I'm not really sure what to expect. As long as the monitor is indeed a IPS, and has all the features I mentioned. & is a good rated monitor with good reviews / name branded. etc.

However, as I am still complementing which way to go. Would going 1440p or 4k be better? I understand the risk of going 4k, due to a demand in performance to run the games at. However, with the new 3090 I see alot of titles going over 60fps in ultra at 4k. & I plan on upgrading my GPU from my 1070. I would go for a 3090, but due to the pandemic the stock is limited to non-existent. So, I might wait for the new series after that. So i'm sure the next over of the 3090 will run games more better at 4k.

Any ideas or should I stick with 1440p?

Also, note to Vegetto19. -- The monitors you listed all seem really good. I like the frameless design, and they all are IPS, 27inch, g-sync HDR etc. The one i'm really looking at from the list is the AORUS FI27Q (FI27Q-P--. The one you mentioned is the newer version. But whilst it is all good in the features, the brightness is 50 lower than the others. Will that affect the HDR in a negative way or will it still look better? I don't mind spending a bit more if the monitor has the good features etc. In the end, I just like to play on a higher resolution with maybe HDR in some titles that'll look amazing. etc. xp.

Last edited:

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Might go with the ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A as well. 4k seems out of reach. I've read some and seems to get even a decent amount of HDR you need a high brightness, and local dimming etc. & those monitors go for $$$$. So might just stick with 1440p for now.

Dec 27, 2020
@Vegetto19 @larsv8

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't notice this thread got any replies. I appreciate all the feedback. I also agree, it does come down to preference, and I do agree on there is no "best". I just want to avoid going through returning the monitors over and over until I find the one. I don't think I'll tell the difference when viewing an image. As i'm coming from a Asus vg248qe monitor.

I believe, coming from that to a IPS would be much difference in terms of color and more vivid?. I'm not really sure what to expect. As long as the monitor is indeed a IPS, and has all the features I mentioned. & is a good rated monitor with good reviews / name branded. etc.

However, as I am still complementing which way to go. Would going 1440p or 4k be better? I understand the risk of going 4k, due to a demand in performance to run the games at. However, with the new 3090 I see alot of titles going over 60fps in ultra at 4k. & I plan on upgrading my GPU from my 1070. I would go for a 3090, but due to the pandemic the stock is limited to non-existent. So, I might wait for the new series after that. So i'm sure the next over of the 3090 will run games more better at 4k.

Any ideas or should I stick with 1440p?

Also, note to Vegetto19. -- The monitors you listed all seem really good. I like the frameless design, and they all are IPS, 27inch, g-sync HDR etc. The one i'm really looking at from the list is the AORUS FI27Q (FI27Q-P--. The one you mentioned is the newer version. But whilst it is all good in the features, the brightness is 50 lower than the others. Will that affect the HDR in a negative way or will it still look better? I don't mind spending a bit more if the monitor has the good features etc. In the end, I just like to play on a higher resolution with maybe HDR in some titles that'll look amazing. etc. xp.

Gigabyte just recently announced AORUS FI27Q-X (1440p 240hz with 0.3ms response time) for ~£650 here in the UK, take a look at it if you can wait for it to be released.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Gigabyte just recently announced AORUS FI27Q-X (1440p 240hz with 0.3ms response time) for ~£650 here in the UK, take a look at it if you can wait for it to be released.
Thanks, the new one looks nice too. Is it g-sync or freesync? I can't seem to find it on the description. Also, whats the difference between this and the FI27Q? just higher Hz?
VG27AQ is an excellent choice, I had its older brother the PG279Q.

Nothing wrong with 1440.

You can pay a premium for 4k stuff now, but it will be expensive, and it will be hard to get.
I see. So you have the VG27AQ ? If so; how is it? g-sync works fine? etc?

larsv8

Distinguished
I see. So you have the VG27AQ ? If so; how is it? g-sync works fine? etc?

No, I had the older version the PG279Q.

Read this:

These guys give you all the information you could ever want.

Solution