GPU: Gtx 970
MOBO: Asrock z97 extreme6
Ram: 2x8gb ddr3 g.skill sniper 1600mhz
PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000w
Chassis: NZXT H440
Water cooling: NZXT kraken x62
Storage: 2tb seagate barracuda HDD
128gb samsung 850 pro ssd for OS

I'm looking to get a 1080p monitor that has at least 144hz and comes with freesync as I will be upgrading my gpu within a year, my budget is about $300-$500 Aud (200-350usd) and am not sure what monitor to pick from.
Strongly looking for 24" though up to 27 is ok.
I know people hate tn panels but I am looking for the fastest response time and I can't justify spending more on a monitor when I'm also buying a new gpu, though I would still like the nicest looking tn panel.
I've looked at following monitors, prices are not the cheapest I've found but are close, there just for reference in Aud
ASUS VG258Q - $329
Viewsonic XG2401 - 299
ASUS VG258QR - 369 (gsync version of other asus monitor above, idk if worth, espcially if i upgrade to an amd card on one of those intel xe cards being released 2020)
ASUS ROG Strix XG258Q - 529 (also gsync but 240hz, idk if I can make use of that but why not)
ASUS VG278Q - 399 (27" version of above asus freesync version)
There's also a gsync version of the 27" asus one much like with the 24" one mentioned above.

Any other monitor suggestions would be appreciated as will reccomendations from the ones I have mentioned.
Due to small size of monitor I'm looking for and somewhat limiting cpu I don't think I can achieve 144fps on 2k/qhd resolution so that is why I'm looking for a good 1080p monitor.

Solution
Well, looking at the criteria and what I'm seeing available in your region on PCPP, which obviously doesn't list EVERYTHING that is available per region but does show the majority, on the bigger vendor sites anyhow, I'm coming back to the same monitor I recommended for somebody last week that was specifically looking for a very high refresh rate display and the reviews for it seem to suggest, as does the feedback of that member, that this is probably a pretty good choice. Obviously it would be recommended that you also do a bit of legwork and look into professional reviews of it as well, but I'd avoid reviews on places like Newegg, Amazon, etc., because those are usually not even remotely worth considering in terms of actually being...

SlapHappy6

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
I play a large variety of games, I'll post a few.
Rainbow six siege
Wargame red dragon
Arma 3
Elite dangerous/Star citizen
Titanfall 2

There's a combination of games that are high speed fps but I also play slower rts games and flight/space sims a lot so I'd ideally like a monitor that can do it all but I'd rather lose colour accuracy over resonse time, though I am open to all suggestions to IPS I guess even though they are pricier, thought afaik VA are very slow so I'll be avoiding them completely.

Well, looking at the criteria and what I'm seeing available in your region on PCPP, which obviously doesn't list EVERYTHING that is available per region but does show the majority, on the bigger vendor sites anyhow, I'm coming back to the same monitor I recommended for somebody last week that was specifically looking for a very high refresh rate display and the reviews for it seem to suggest, as does the feedback of that member, that this is probably a pretty good choice. Obviously it would be recommended that you also do a bit of legwork and look into professional reviews of it as well, but I'd avoid reviews on places like Newegg, Amazon, etc., because those are usually not even remotely worth considering in terms of actually being reliable when it comes to the component itself but rather are usually more like "it worked" or something equally idiotic.

The exception being that if you see a common thread, such as five or more reviews from different people all saying the same negative thing about something, like for example, 10 out of 100 reviews all say that the "X" piece falls off shortly after use (Just as a random example) then you can be fairly sure that the "X" piece probably DOES have an issue with falling off and maybe that item should be avoided.

This unit however seems to be well reviewed and feedback is that the color accuracy isn't spectacular, but the rest of the performance is good. And, the price is right about where you want it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: LG - 27GK750F-B 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor ($459.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $459.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-06 16:07 AEST+1000

Aside from the reviews, I've found the majority of LG displays to be at least decent quality, with many of them being surprisingly good.

Solution

SlapHappy6

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
I don't want to sound ungrateful, this monitor is hugely beyond what I expected to receive in terms of features, but would I be ever able to use the 240hz? I don't plan on doing a complete mobo+cpu+ram overhaul to I'll probably upgrade to a 2070 or equivalent in the next 12 months and I won't be hitting that 240hz, will I suffer downsides from not being able to do that?
Also are there any monitors that are 24" that you can recommend, I forgot to mention that this will be a dual monitor setup with the new monitor being for gaming while the other for random shit to look at when I get bored, and I'm afraid that 2 different size monitors won't look nice, I am still considering the 27" LG though.

I found the Acer XB241H for $350 on sale, is that both a good monitor and a good price?

Last edited:
That monitor has freesync. You don't HAVE to be able to do 240hz. So it is suitable for whatever frame rates you can achieve AND it also seems that monitor happens to be on the list of the ones Nvidia has said are "verified" to work with it's graphics cards. Others do as well, but it's always a safer bet when verification exists and I'm pretty sure that's one of the models they claim works with their adaptive sync tech.

Yes, that Acer monitor seems to be a pretty sure bet as well.

TRENDING THREADS