[SOLVED] Looking for a better case with good cooling?

cbrocks06

Proper
Dec 27, 2018
So right now I have the enermax ostrog adv and i was told that it is a horrible case for airflow/cooling.

So I am looking to get a case to help improve my airflow..

I can spend around $150.

I would like it to be black/red but its really not that important.. Thanks!

the R6 is the very case i'm building my new rig in, and it just doesn't compare to the LIan Li PC011-AIR in terms of air flow

and it comes with 3 fans, but just the fact it has mounting points for 12 fans is a big plus

I wish i could have gone with that case, but it's limited in HDD space, the R6 will hold 11 HDDs and 2 SSDs

that case also means a lot more options for radiator mounting

Who in the world needs 12 fans?:bounce:

The R6 is one that I've been looking at myself. I guess that Lian Li got away from the all aluminum cases.

cbrocks06

Proper
Dec 27, 2018

no i definitely dont! lol

Specs -
CPU - i7 6850k w/corsair aio "water" cooler
GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1080 ti
RAM - 16gb
HDD, SDD
MOBO - Asus x99-aii

THat case's twin little brother didn't fare well in the reviews - supposedly it was designed to "work with negative air pressure" - it was delivered with all fans (2X) exhausting -- when the reviewers added a intake fan CPU temps went down by 4C. It was designed solely to appeal to a buyer's eye and not for function

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3309-nzxt-h500-case-review-thermals-noise-vs-s340

i don't know anybody does, but it's nice to have all those options for fan placement, plus super options for radiators.
One warning on the R6 - i didn't read the manual close enough and almost ordered a radiator that was 153mm wide - the manual states max width of 147MM. Quality on the R6 is pretty decent, and custoer svc isn't bad - had a broken power on button, and they sent one for free, but i had to send a pre-paid shipping label first. And in my R6 with four fans exhausting thru two radiators, i want four fans blowing in, so that's eight

But as far as putting a radiator up top - it needs more room above the motherboard - here's a shot, note the top rad fans are covering about 1/2" of the ram - and that, according to the guy that posted the video (iirc, jaytwocentz) was using a "slim" ekwb radiator

YG4vSO0.jpg

here's a shot of the Lian, note the room above the motherboard, mainly because the floor isn't elevated like it is in the R6

41MbtKj7dCL.jpg

and that Lian Air is $111 on amazon, with Prime free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-O11DW-Tempered-Computer/dp/B07F2NPQPK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547038619&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=lian%2Bli%2Bpc011-air&th=1

mgallo848

Commendable

That's why I didn't post that one. The case I posted DID do well:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3108-nzxt-h700i-case-review-better-if-it-were-dumber

cbrocks06

Proper
Dec 27, 2018

I'm going to get the Lian Air, The one with the front glass.. Looks awesome!

ha - looking at it again i'm thinking of picking one up and selling this R6, which means i'll have to buy an external cabinet for my HDDs - i'll agree the glass front looks better, but airflow is going to be somewhat restricted over the first one i linked - that one der8auer helped design

if Terry above is interested, mine's white, no modifications - radiators have been mounted but still waiting for other LC components to show up to complete

I'm in VA, will ship it within a 3 state radius of me in RIchmond, Va for $110 , and mine has the USB 3.1 Gen II Type C connector on the front panel

I can accept Visa, Mastercard or paypal

I'm still in the "just looking stage". But white would not work for me.
I'm looking at a I5-9600K or I7-9700K or I7 8700K. I am also looking at a water cooled CPU cooler with around a 360mm radiator.

and just for general info, here's one of the reasons i feel a little dis-appointed with the Fractal R6 - this is a shot of the top with the filter and cover off, Note how much of the fans are blocked - wtf were they thinking? And those are 120mm fans as the top rad is a 240mm. If i'd put a 280 up there, the 140mm fans would be a waste, as it is those 120mm fans are approx 50% blocked.

I work in metal, so it's not beyond my ability to correct that, but who wants to remanufacture something they just bought?

go look at the fan/radiator mounts that the Lian uses or supplies - full bore wide open, no restriction on the fans

lY669kH.jpg

below is a shot of the openings for the front mounted radiator (280mm) - whoever laid that out apparently knew if you're going to put fans there, you'd like them to be able to move air out unrestricted

MOZunmA.jpg

I don't really see that the fan ports are that obstructed. The fan and radiator mounts are perforated. A case with a steel mesh over the fan port is probably more obstructed than these are. And that is a common design for PC cases.

I don't care about the color. I only see them when I open the case or clean the dust filters. So it isn't an issue for me.

TRENDING THREADS