Looking for a Better Video Card

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi, Folks,

I just received a built computer with these specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core I5-2320 Sandy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) 1MB L2 Cache & 6MB L3 Cache Socket LGA 1155 Quad-Core Processor

MOTHERBOARD: Biostar H61MGC LGA 1155 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

4 x Rear USB 2.0 ports

2 x PCI-E x1 Slot

1xVGA Port, 1xDVI Port, 1xHDMI Port

Core Clock: 700Mhz

Cuda Cores: 96

Shader Clock: 1400Mhz

MEMORY: 8GB (2x4gb) Team Elite DDR3 1333 Gaming/High Performance RAM

HARD DRIVE: 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 32MB Cache

WIFI: USB Wireless-N150 Micro Card

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung Multiformat DVD Burner

CASE: Apevia ATXB5KLW-BW Gaming Case w/2x80mm case fans 1-w/blue LED

2xUSB Ports, 2xAudio Ports

POWER SUPPLY: Raidmax 500-watt Power Supply w/2x80mm fans (Model # RX-450K [KY-550ATX])

PCI Express Graphics Card

VIDEO: PNY Nvidia Geforce 430 GT (Fermi) 1GB DDR3 128-bit

The problem is, the video card is defective. Loading the drivers results in repeated crashes that invariably lead to the computer either freezing completely, or blue screening.

The seller and I have agreed that he will refund the price of the card, so I can get a replacement (instead of me sending it back to him to do something I can do in 15 minutes).

Since I purchased the computer, I've had a bit of windfall, and would like to replace the defective card with a higher grade NVidia card that fits in with the rest of the specs. I have approximately $140 I can work with.

Any suggestions what higher/newer NVidia card would work with this build? Or will a different brand of the same card be better (re. EVGA or the like)?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
G
as an example without using a power supply since you have one:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.57 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive:...

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
The problem is that PSU. Its rubbish. So is the mobo, but the PSU needs to go if you want a rock solid build and want to upgrade.. The card crashing may actually be a problem with the cheapo PSU. I'd send it back and tell the seller to run his own tests. BTW, you could have had a local PC store build a vastly better PC for the price.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Save up 160$, get a PSU for 60$ ( A good 500w) and get a 550TI or GTX460 for 100$.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

So, since I don't really have the extra $20 to spend at the moment, per austing's advice, might it be better to start off by replacing the PSU to see if the v-card really is the problem?

Granted, I have the a $140 to spend (this would be after the refund of the v-card), but if the PSU can help solve the immediate problem, I can wait on that upgrade.

Yes, relying on your psychic abilities here, sorry; but though I've dismantled my laptop a couple of times, desktops are a bit new to me.

Thanks.

By the by, the price was $525, which included $35 worth of shipping, so $490. I'm afraid my local guy wouldn't have done it for that price.

G

past the CX500 those aren't that great of a PSU for the price.
antec has as good for cheaper or better for the same price with more wattage on the 12 volt rail where its needed. and for a few bucks more, the XFX are phenomenal being made by seasonic.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Ohhhhh-kay. Now that my head is spinning like something out of The Exorcist, maybe I should explain (as I probably should have done in the first place) that I'll be using the computer primarily as a business computer. I'll also be making short advertising videos for local clients. While I plan to upgrade the computer's components a bit later on, right now I just need something that will run ProShow Gold, GIMP, a few other graphic creation programs and be able to be online all at the same time. And, okay, it needs to be able to withstand experiencing the occasional, badly-played game of Need for Speed, various editions.

I am currently living with a Gateway P-7805u FX gaming laptop that I am using with a 24-inch BenQ monitor. I love it, but unfortunately, the GPU is freakin' welded to the board. So, I figured I'd find something quad-core, but not crazy.

Am I wrong to say that the consensus is that the PSU (and to a lesser extent, the mobo) may be more of an issue than the video card, so that's what I should look for, so I should try to replace that first and see what happens? And if so, will the models mentioned actually fit the tower that I have?

I'm sorry to be such a pain, folks; as I said, I've messed with my laptop quite a bit, but this whole desktop thing is a bit confusing to me.

EDIT: This is what I found on NewEgg; will it work with the specified mobo and video card?

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply . $59.99
Save: $10.00
$34.99 after $25.00 rebate(s

G

glad you cleared that up.

now searching your model # of the PSU you spec'd, Model # RX-450K, seems its a 450 watt PSU and not 500.
using KY-550ATX comes back with nothing for raidmax.
all the model series are here:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page6337.htm

i really would like to suggest upgrading that PSU to a better quality one like corsair, antec, seasonic, silverstone or XFX.

and since you do not worry much about gaming a 7750 is plenty for what you stated and maybe a little extra:
MSI R7750-PMD1GD5/OC $109.99
$89.99 after $20.00 rebate(s)
$4.99 Shipping

that also will not need any 6 pin power connections, you *could* get by with your existing PSU but i would not recommend it . . . . at all.

no offence when i advise that since you are doing this stuff for work, that you do not skimp out on anything; this is an investment.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Hi, looniam,

No offence taken... it's just that, at the moment, my resources are limited. The business is a mere buddling, with only a couple of clients, so I'm having to start low and slow.

If I return the v-card to the seller, I will have around $140 available... which I can maybe squeeze to $150. But I would like to get the PSU first, to make sure that the issue really is with the card, not an underpowered PSU (I got those numbers on the PSU off the side of it, by the way... though I couldn't see the brand name).

Which brings me back to the question re. the PSU I found on NewEgg (and which I put on after you wrote this, it appears: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply . $59.99
Save: $10.00
$34.99 after $25.00 rebate

Is this a workable PSU? Will it handle an upgrade to the v-card you suggest?

Thanks.

G

that 500 will be more than enough. not to be defensive; the 430 i posted before will also handle that.

your system w/o a graphics card will not go over 120 watts and will barely hit 200 watts with the bigger 7770 card. here is a review with a system that draws more power.
AMD Radeon HD 7750 and 7770 review
Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz.

Measured power consumption R7750
System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 188W
Difference (GPU load) = 33W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 43 Watts

Measured power consumption R7770
System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 231W
Difference (GPU load) = 76W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 86 Watts

so either will work but if you do the rebate thing, go for the 500.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I ended up going with the 500, mostly because the 430 is on back order at NCIX, and they weren't very clear on when they would be able to get the order to me. I know NewEgg will get it to me in a couple of days.

We'll see about getting the rebate from Corsair... apparently, their reputation for actually sending the rebates they claim to offer isn't the best. Still, I can live with $53 and change (including tax, since I'm in California) after getting $10 off upfront from NewEgg. Even if it turns out the issue is with the card, I'll have a decent PSU. Mobo is on the list after those two... maybe in a month or two.

Thanks to everyone for their help... I've no doubt you'll hear more from me soonish.

G

you may want to look at better/more/faster RAM.
16 Gb of 1600 would help in the video editing you do. (you would need to set the speed from 1333 to 1600 in the bios)
if you are looking at getting an SSD then a motherboard with a sata 6Gbs port(s) will be necessary then or if you need usb3. the b75 motherboards are more for business applications since they are "no frills" unlike for an enthusiast.

just giving you something to think about.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

RAM will be next on the list... it's one of the first things I upgraded on my laptop (after engaging my "more hdd space" addiction) and have no regrets.

All these components seem to have a jillion versions/brands, and the b75 doesn't seem to be an exception. Having looked about on other parts of the forum and it looks like just what I need, so the question then becomes, which one should I choose (that is, when I get around to looking seriously at a mobo... probably the month after next, unless my finances experience another unexpected boost)? It doesn't have to be the cheapest of the brands/versions; in fact, I may ultimately end up getting the higher-end graphics card, though I haven't quite decided that either, yet...

G

what might clear the field a little before looking at minute features is ask yourself:

did you think you may need more than 16 gigs of RAM for what you do?

that will clear out any board with only 2 DIMM slots.

will you need more than 2 displays without using a discrete graphics card (even though you have one)?

that will clear out any with only a DVI and D-Sub connection out.

do you need/want HDMI?

that will clear out all but a few.

display port?

only 1 has that.

then look at what bells and whistles go along with the board; but that isn't too hard since most are rather "vanilla." it looks like all have a 3 year warranty, so no separation there. but i think you get my drift and what criteria to look for.

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Okay. Send me to another section if asking this question here is inappropriate, and apologies in advance if it is:

I am, after running into yet another frustration with this box, considering sending it back. An external sound card (SIIG SoundWave 7.1) that has never given me problems on my lappy freezes the whole damned system on the new computer for anywhere from 5-10 minutes when I try to open the card's control center. This occurs both with and without the NVidia drivers present. Also, two times out of four, I have to literally uninstall, then reinstall the external wifi dongle's drivers to get it to work if I leave the computer off for more than an hour or two.

I've about hit the "enough is enough" stage.

With that in mind, what would I need to build a box with similar--but, you know, better--specs? The maximum I could spend would be $750, but I'd like to get away with spending a bit less, if possible.

I'd be using the CX500 PSU that I've already purchased, and probably the 7750 graphics card, though I am still open to the NVidia 550TI. I think I can live with 8gigs of ram for the moment, unless the budget allows for 16gb. Nor am I averse to having an older i5 processor akin to the one in this box's specs; overclocking is not on the list of things I will probably be doing in future. I have one display now, but I expect to graduate to using dual displays within the next 6 months. And I have to admit, I like having a gaming-type case. It's kind of handy to be able to look in at the innards without having to open the tower up.

Oh, and is it possible to build a tower that has an interior wifi card?

I may change my mind about this when I calm down some. But on the other hand, I've always enjoyed dismantling and "remantling" my laptop, and this purchase is looking more and more like I'm going to have ended up paying the seller $525 for a processor and a pretty case. Building a whole new computer from scratch might be fun.

God knows, at this point, I wish I'd thought of doing that in the first place...

G

as an example without using a power supply since you have one:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE2 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.57 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total (before mail-in rebates): $713.50
Mail-in Rebates: $-15.00
Total: $698.50
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-04 22:00 EDT-0400)

or i'll tell ya what, i won't be offended if you go to this section for more help from several people:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

but first to help them help you fill out this and posted it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

Solution

kevalin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I will go and take a look at the suggested links. Between these little but annoying issues, and the fact that the seller advertised a more powerful PSU than he in fact supplied, I'm leaning more and more toward simply building this thing myself.

Thanks so much for hanging with me on this, looniam--I appreciate it greatly.

TRENDING THREADS