Looking for a Browser for configuration of my internal network

Starnet

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Over the years I haved battled browser security enhancements, IE java script disabled, TLS enhancement, etc while trying to maintain my network nodes.

Well, now looks like firefox and Goggle Chrome have tightened security up to the point I no long can access my router and some other parts of my network.
I need something that is specifically accessing my network internals on the lan side of things. I need something that is slim, fast, is capable of storing login and password info.

Any suggestions? I have tried to build exceptions in Firefox and Chrome but the exception options are gray out so they no longer will work so I can build a exception list of internal network nodes. Right now I am using a very old version of IE 11 but who knows how much longer that will work.

Need something better, I'm not going to drop coin to CA for a certificate for each of these nodes just to use firefox.

kanewolf

Titan
Over the years I haved battled browser security enhancements, IE java script disabled, TLS enhancement, etc while trying to maintain my network nodes.

Well, now looks like firefox and Goggle Chrome have tightened security up to the point I no long can access my router and some other parts of my network.
I need something that is specifically accessing my network internals on the lan side of things. I need something that is slim, fast, is capable of storing login and password info.

Any suggestions? I have tried to build exceptions in Firefox and Chrome but the exception options are gray out so they no longer will work so I can build a exception list of internal network nodes. Right now I am using a very old version of IE 11 but who knows how much longer that will work.

Need something better, I'm not going to drop coin to CA for a certificate for each of these nodes just to use firefox.
What error do you get? Your description is too vague to help.

Starnet

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
What error do you get? Your description is too vague to help.
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.2.1. You are attempting to import a cert with the same issuer/serial as an existing cert, but that is not the same cert.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I have tried all the suggestions that Firefox explained but none work, digging into it shows the CA certificate for my netgear router expired in Jan of this year, and firefox grays out trying to add exemption to include local IP's on my local network.
I have found a browser called K-Meleon that allows you to set exemptions but if you install it problems will then occur with Firefox.

For the life of me I don't understand why you can't set exemptions without restrictions to Firefox when it comes to your local network, you should be able to set a specific range of IP's that firefox doesn't care about certificates, http or https ect.

kanewolf

Titan
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.2.1. You are attempting to import a cert with the same issuer/serial as an existing cert, but that is not the same cert.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_REUSED_ISSUER_AND_SERIAL

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I have tried all the suggestions that Firefox explained but none work, digging into it shows the CA certificate for my netgear router expired in Jan of this year, and firefox grays out trying to add exemption to include local IP's on my local network.
I have found a browser called K-Meleon that allows you to set exemptions but if you install it problems will then occur with Firefox.

For the life of me I don't understand why you can't set exemptions without restrictions to Firefox when it comes to your local network, you should be able to set a specific range of IP's that firefox doesn't care about certificates, http or https ect.
Where did the certs come from?
I haven't used Netgear in a long time, but having certs loaded is unusual. You could always factory reset the router. That should wipe the certs.

Have you seen this page -- https://kb.netgear.com/000061582/Se...-Key-Disclosure-on-Some-Routers-PSV-2020-0105

Starnet

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Tried a reset and reload from backup doesn't help. Tried to delete all the certificates for the Netgear router in Firefox certificates , that didn't work and only deleted the existing certificates that were already in the browser. I can see what happened, the existing Netgear certificate expired in Jan of this year and both firefox and Chrome have started checking for expired and or duplicate certificates and now prohibit the browser from allowing any connection to them because of it.

There are no new firmware releases for a SRX5308 VPN Firewall router and since the product is end of life I don't expect any help from Netgear even though its a Prosafe commercial product. As I said a simple solution would be for Firefox to allow a range of local IP addresses to be added as a safe range were all of these security certificates, secure server nonsense is not really neaded.
I have even gone through all of Firefox's "ABOUT:CONFIG" items to see if there was something I could change there.

Anyway, until then I guess I will need to use IE to access my local netgear hardware.