Looking for a budget AMp(/)?DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

eirikskjorstad

Commendable
Jun 7, 2017
I have now bought the Sennheiser & Massdrop HD 6xx as i had the chance to get it for what is considered a good price here in Norway.

This will be my first experience with "audiophile" headphones as i have only used gaming headsets in the past. As i have understood i will need an AMP to push the 6xx to its potential, even though i at least think i have a decent one in my computer (Z270E motherboard). I am hoping not needing to spend too much money on this, preferably under a 100 bucks.

1) I will mainly use the headphones for gaming, listening to music both on my main computer, phone and laptop. Are there AMP/DACs that are compatible with all of those devices?

2) I will use these headphones for gaming, and since the games i play are mainly pubg, fortnite, csgo etc. i need good positional audio, is this even possible with these types of headphones?

3) Will the AMP/DAC i choose make a difference for how good the positional audio will be?

4) Please come up with some good suggestions for some good budget options, that will fit my use case.

Thanks a lot.

Solution
D
I absolutely agree with Zeos. However, as I said above the HD 650/6XX is not a great imaging headphone. It's fine for gaming but there are better choices if that's your only concern. From Massdrop the K7XX is better for just gaming. The 650/6XX is a very musical headphone that sounds good with any music genre though.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Portable DAC's/Amp's exist and they are powered by miniUSB/USB or even alkaline batteries.

2| You're dealing with a stereo pair of headphones, how do you assume you'll get positional/directional audio from two drivers(one in each ear)? On another note, you've got a pair of audiophile grade headphones.

3| Read #2

4| I would suggest you try it out on your system and if you think it's lacking then shell out the amount.

Since I'm here, you can take a look at this:
M-Audio traveler
or
Nuforce uDAC3.

D

Deleted member 217926

Some headphones are amazing at positional audio and imaging. Most 'surround' headphones are gimmicks, even the very few with multiple drivers.

That being said the HD 6XX/650 has a laid back, warm sound signature that makes it pleasing with almost any music and it's extremely comfortable so you can wear them for hours. It's not however, a great gaming headphone. The one weak point of the Sennheisers is imaging and that same laid back signature that makes them so good for music makes them somewhat 'meh' for gaming. It's fine for extended single player gaming but they aren't what I'd use for competitive multiplayer.

I have HD 650s and I find myself using my HD 600s more for gaming. The 600s actually have a smaller soundstage but they're more exciting and have more 'pop'. The 650s are legendary in how they scale with better equipment and the 6XX is the best deal in the headphone world but they aren't the best for gaming.

You're really going to want a soundcard with a headphone amp or one of the few external amps/DACs that can do virtual surround for gaming. For $100 and just music the Fiio Q1 Mk. II is a great deal. There's no virtual surround though. More power is better for the HD650/6XX.

https://www.amazon.com/Q1-Mark-II-Native-Amplifier/dp/B0757MH46M

eirikskjorstad

Commendable
Jun 7, 2017

As i have heard from this Z reviews on youtube is that surround sound is some big pile Mod edit: keep it clean please that cant even compare to real headphones. And the positional audio is very good, or have i completely misunderstood?

D

Deleted member 217926

I absolutely agree with Zeos. However, as I said above the HD 650/6XX is not a great imaging headphone. It's fine for gaming but there are better choices if that's your only concern. From Massdrop the K7XX is better for just gaming. The 650/6XX is a very musical headphone that sounds good with any music genre though.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS