[SOLVED] Looking for a budget friendly overhaul

Sep 18, 2019
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my computer in December, but I want to get everything planned out. Most of the parts were hand-me-downs from a friend that all still work. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Budget Range: Roughly $450-500. I could add something in the future if needed.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly surfing the internet, filling out contracts and other documents for work, but I do plan to game occasionally - nothing too intensive.

Buying a monitor: No, but I am currently using 2-24" LCD monitors, both are 1920x1080. I would like to upgrade both in the future, but I don't know what to yet - I'll definitely always have 2 monitors for work, though.

Parts to Upgrade for sure: Mobo, CPU, RAM (At least 16GB).

I think I want the AMD Ryzen 5 3600. Is the Wraith Stealth Cooler that comes with it good or should I consider upgrading? I could always upgrade that a little later.

Current Parts:
PSU - Antec TruePower 750w Blue that might be 9-10 years old but works fine, should I replace?
GPU - MSI GTX 980ti that works fine I don't plan on upgrading that yet.
SSD - New Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB
Case - New Fractal Design G with 6 new 120mm fans
Wifi - New Asus PCIe wifi/bluetooth card, so it is not mandatory that the mobo has wifi.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, anywhere the price is right.

Overclocking: NO
SLI or Crossfire: NO

Monitor Resolution: Both are 1920x1080 as previously stated, I would like to upgrade in the future, but I don't know what to yet - I'll definitely always have 2 monitors for work, though.

Solution
Alright I think I've decided to up my budget a little bit, but I have another question based on my recent research.
I believe I am going to go with this set up:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3600
PSU: EVGA GQ 750w 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX

I currently am using a new 500GB Samsung EVO 860 SSD 2.5, would it be beneficial to add a 500GB NVMe m.2 PCIe Gen4 SSD?

Thanks in advance!~
I wouldn't Go with the RGB Pro RAM. First I'd check the boards supported list but I have a X570I Aorus Pro Wifi and it did not play well with RGB Pro. BSODs everywhere. Also you don't need the 3600 speed, it is nice to have but when I was looking at RAM...
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my computer in December, but I want to get everything planned out. Most of the parts were hand-me-downs from a friend that all still work. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Budget Range: Roughly $450-500. I could add something in the future if needed.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly surfing the internet, filling out contracts and other documents for work, but I do plan to game occasionally - nothing too intensive.

Buying a monitor: No, but I am currently using 2-24" LCD monitors, both are 1920x1080. I would like to upgrade both in the future, but I don't know what to yet - I'll definitely always have 2 monitors for work, though.

Parts to Upgrade for sure: Mobo, CPU, RAM (At least 16GB).

I think I want the AMD Ryzen 5 3600. Is the Wraith Stealth Cooler that comes with it good or should I consider upgrading? I could always upgrade that a little later.

Current Parts:
PSU - Antec TruePower 750w Blue that might be 9-10 years old but works fine, should I replace?
GPU - MSI GTX 980ti that works fine I don't plan on upgrading that yet.
SSD - New Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB
Case - New Fractal Design G with 6 new 120mm fans
Wifi - New Asus PCIe wifi/bluetooth card, so it is not mandatory that the mobo has wifi.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, anywhere the price is right.

Overclocking: NO
SLI or Crossfire: NO

Monitor Resolution: Both are 1920x1080 as previously stated, I would like to upgrade in the future, but I don't know what to yet - I'll definitely always have 2 monitors for work, though.
Don’t think I’d try more than 1080p on a 980Ti now XD

3600 sounds good to me, 16GB of fast RAM but would you be going X570 or B450 Max for your motherboard?

The warranty on your PSU is only 5 years. That means you are already 4-5 years OUT of warranty on it. Best NOT to use that for a new computer system, or you risk damaging your computer.

Wraith cooler should be fine if you aren't going to overclock.

If you go with a B450 motherboard, or an x470 motherboard, you can save a bit on it, instead of an x570 board. It will run your Ryzen 3600.

You really want to spend the money on the RAM though. Ryzen's like faster ram. the sweet spot for Ryzen 2 cpu's is DDR4 3733, so if you can match that in your RAM, you would do good. Also, don't skimp on RAM....16GB at least of RAM.

Sep 18, 2019

3600 sounds good to me, 16GB of fast RAM but would you be going X570 or B450 Max for your motherboard?

Okay, I will definitely get a new PSU, I was thinking about the EVGA 750 BQ 80+ Bronze.
Regarding the mobo, that’s what I’m here to find out! Based on some of my research it looks like the 570x is the newest and greatest, so I’d prefer to stay that route if possible.

Okay, I will definitely get a new PSU, I was thinking about the EVGA 750 BQ 80+ Bronze.
Regarding the mobo, that’s what I’m here to find out! Based on some of my research it looks like the 570x is the newest and greatest, so I’d prefer to stay that route if possible.

Issue is it’s a long way in advance which means prices flux. The 3600 is around 200 now, a good X570 board will run you around 180 and ram is around 100. A good PSU isn’t cheap either. Where you from btw?

Sep 18, 2019

Okay, I will definitely get a new PSU, I was thinking about
Well, that’s what I’m here to find out! Based on some of my research it looks like the 570x is the newest and greatest, so I’d prefer to stay that route if possible.
Issue is it’s a long way in advance which means prices flux. The 3600 is around 200 now, a good X570 board will run you around 180 and ram is around 100. A good PSU isn’t cheap either. Where you from btw?

I’m in Houston, Texas. I think I could swing those prices, and adding $80-90 for a PSU.

Okay, I will definitely get a new PSU, I was thinking about
Well, that’s what I’m here to find out! Based on some of my research it looks like the 570x is the newest and greatest, so I’d prefer to stay that route if possible.

I’m in Houston, Texas. I think I could swing those prices, and adding $80-90 for a PSU.
Not from the back end of Asia or Eastern Europe where 4GB of DDR2 costs the same a s car then.
Just keep a look out for deals, I'm looking round at 2060 Supers and the used market because I really need a smaller GPU now I'm on an ITX platform. Can find some decent ones around.

Sep 18, 2019
The warranty on your PSU is only 5 years. That means you are already 4-5 years OUT of warranty on it. Best NOT to use that for a new computer system, or you risk damaging your computer.

Wraith cooler should be fine if you aren't going to overclock.

If you go with a B450 motherboard, or an x470 motherboard, you can save a bit on it, instead of an x570 board. It will run your Ryzen 3600.

You really want to spend the money on the RAM though. Ryzen's like faster ram. the sweet spot for Ryzen 2 cpu's is DDR4 3733, so if you can match that in your RAM, you would do good. Also, don't skimp on RAM....16GB at least of RAM.

Could someone recommend specific products for motherboard and ram that would be compatible with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU?
I would prefer them to be aesthetically pleasing and wouldn't mind some sort of RGB, but its not a requirement.

Could someone recommend specific products for motherboard and ram that would be compatible with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU?
I would prefer them to be aesthetically pleasing and wouldn't mind some sort of RGB, but its not a requirement.

Here is what I would recommend, based on what you have described. CPU, Mobo, RAM, and PSU to give you the basic upgrade you want. It has a tiny bit of bling, but stays at your budget, and gives you quality components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3snTC

To upgrade your Monitors, I would say 27 inch monitors at 1080p would be good, would definitely help your eyes when working with documents. Twenty-Seven inch monitors are getting relatively cheap, especially if you are keeping to 60 hz. ( I recently upgraded my work computer the same way and it made a WONDERFUL difference). It would make your light gaming better as well.

Sep 18, 2019
Not from the back end of Asia or Eastern Europe where 4GB of DDR2 costs the same a s car then.
Just keep a look out for deals, I'm looking round at 2060 Supers and the used market because I really need a smaller GPU now I'm on an ITX platform. Can find some decent ones around.

Alright I think I've decided to up my budget a little bit, but I have another question based on my recent research.

I currently am using a new 500GB Samsung EVO 860 SSD 2.5, would it be beneficial to add a 500GB NVMe m.2 PCIe Gen4 SSD?

Thanks in advance!~

Thanks in advance!~
I wouldn't Go with the RGB Pro RAM. First I'd check the boards supported list but I have a X570I Aorus Pro Wifi and it did not play well with RGB Pro. BSODs everywhere. Also you don't need the 3600 speed, it is nice to have but when I was looking at RAM it upped the price by like £40. That's the price of a solid Air cooler. I ended up with 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinums @3200Mhz.

Depends. NVME even gen 3 only nets you performance in inter drive transfers and moving around large files like 4K video editing. For gaming which is the most intensive thing you'd be doing it might save you a few seconds loading, same with booting up the PC, not really worth the cost in my opinion. I do intend to put a m.2 drive in my PC at some point actually but I'm not cared if it's SATA or PCIE based because what I do on it just wouldn't see the performance benefit.

PSU seems good.

Solution
Sep 18, 2019
I wouldn't Go with the RGB Pro RAM. First I'd check the boards supported list but I have a X570I Aorus Pro Wifi and it did not play well with RGB Pro. BSODs everywhere. Also you don't need the 3600 speed, it is nice to have but when I was looking at RAM it upped the price by like £40. That's the price of a solid Air cooler. I ended up with 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinums @3200Mhz.

Depends. NVME even gen 3 only nets you performance in inter drive transfers and moving around large files like 4K video editing. For gaming which is the most intensive thing you'd be doing it might save you a few seconds loading, same with booting up the PC, not really worth the cost in my opinion. I do intend to put a m.2 drive in my PC at some point actually but I'm not cared if it's SATA or PCIE based because what I do on it just wouldn't see the performance benefit.

PSU seems good.

Thanks for your thoughts, I will definitely wait on the NVMe SSD.
I couldn’t find the COSAIR RGB pro of the QVL so I don’t think I’ll go that route. What would you think about the G.Skill TridentZ 16gb RGB 3600? It’s $10 less than the non-RGB Corsair Dominator Platinum and $30 less than the RGB version. The G.Skill is on the QVL.

Thanks for your thoughts, I will definitely wait on the NVMe SSD.
I couldn’t find the COSAIR RGB pro of the QVL so I don’t think I’ll go that route. What would you think about the G.Skill TridentZ 16gb RGB 3600? It’s $10 less than the non-RGB Corsair Dominator Platinum and $30 less than the RGB version. The G.Skill is on the QVL.
If it's on the QVL you should be fine, I just went with he Dom Plat because it works with literally everything :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

That's a maybe.

For the most part, the best configurations for DDR4 (and even DDR3) performance have been at multiples of 266.6x MHz, but DDR4-3600 doesn’t fit that scheme. Since we’re unwilling to take our DDR4-3600 all the way down to DDR4-3466, one might wonder why we don’t simply jump up to DDR4-3733? For Ryzen 3000, the answer lies within the assumed stability limitation of its I/O die. AMD switches its onboard Unified Memory Controller frequency (UCLK) to 1/2 of the DRAM data rate whenever DDR4-3600 is exceeded, and further protects controllers on the I/O die from instability by decoupling its Infinity Fabric clock when exceeding that frequency.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

If you can get it to not switch UCLK to 1/2 of the DRAM rate, then yeah.

BUT - for the very small performance gain and the stated use, probably not worth the higher-end motherboard needed to do it. Probably better off just with 3466, or 3200.

I'd say save the money, go for a B450 with the upgraded BIOS to support the 3000 series CPUs, go with maybe 3200 or 3466 RAM, and the money saved can go toward your future monitor and video card upgrades.