[SOLVED] Looking for a budget laptop

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
i am looking for a laptop under 400 usd. i am not gonna play games on it. I will do programming, little photo and video editing, web browsing etc. so, i need an easily portable, good build quality laptop that will last me at least 3-4 years without any problem. I have no favourite brand in particular. i currently have an hp laptop that lasted me almost 9 years without any major issue(battery and keyboard died after 7 years).

Last edited:
Solution
I am not in the US. I converted the price to USD for universal comparison.Also, I will not be shopping online.

And where are you? Prices can vary dramatically region to region and, while you might not intend to shop online, we can at least take a look and get an idea for a specific region.

I guess I can trade off lightweight nature but not build quality.
I want a brand new laptop. So, I won't mind a few extra cash if I can get a good one.

For what you describe, I'd look for an absolute minimum 4 cores with hyperthreading (or SMT if AMD) and 8GB RAM. Ideally 6cores and 16GB. Take a look to see if any Ryzen5 2500U based laptops are available to you for a reasonable price.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you located in the US? If not, USD pricing doesn't really matter.
What is your budget, in local currency? And do you have any websites you would be using to purchase from?

Ultimately, $400 is pretty low to expect all of your requirements:
portable,lightweight, good build quality laptop that will last me at least 3-4 years
In the budget space you typically trade off build quality, or lightweight nature etc.

The used market may be your best bet here, but will depend on your specific location.

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
Are you located in the US? If not, USD pricing doesn't really matter.
What is your budget, in local currency? And do you have any websites you would be using to purchase from?

Ultimately, $400 is pretty low to expect all of your requirements:

In the budget space you typically trade off build quality, or lightweight nature etc.

The used market may be your best bet here, but will depend on your specific location.
I am not in the US. I converted the price to USD for universal comparison.Also, I will not be shopping online.
I want a brand new laptop. So, I won't mind a few extra cash if I can get a good one.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

And where are you? Prices can vary dramatically region to region and, while you might not intend to shop online, we can at least take a look and get an idea for a specific region.

For what you describe, I'd look for an absolute minimum 4 cores with hyperthreading (or SMT if AMD) and 8GB RAM. Ideally 6cores and 16GB. Take a look to see if any Ryzen5 2500U based laptops are available to you for a reasonable price.

Solution

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019

I did a little bit of research myself and found some ideally identical laptops from Acer, Asus, Dell and Lenovo.They even cost almost the same. Now, it's down to which brand to choose. All of those laptops meet my requirements and fit my budget. Which brand would you recommend ?

Avoid Acer at your price point. They have awful screens until you get into their higher tier models.

I would echo the Ryzen 5 2500U or 3500U CPU. In the US, you can get Ryzen 3500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1080p screen for ~$400. But like Bary said, without knowing what country you're in that's not incredibly relevant.