[SOLVED] Looking for a budget MoBo for my i5 11400f

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hello everyone.

I was looking to upgrade my old a8-6600k which served me well over the years and i5 10400f caught my eye for a while back. After some digging around, i decided to go for i5 11400f, there's basically no price difference between them and I thought why not go for the newer gen? Anyways sorry I'm getting sidetracked. The list below are the MoBos I've picked for 10400f earlier:

MSI H410M-A PRO

MSI B460M Pro-VDH WiFi

ASUS PRIME B460M-K

Are these still valid and useable with the 11400f? Both of the processors are 1200 pin if I'm not mistaken. 500 series of these mobos are a bit on the pricy side and I'd like to go with one of these ones above if possible. And if it's possible, which one would be better and more futureproof?

Thank you all in advance, have a nice day!

Solution
If you are opting to go with a 4xx chipset on 11th gen make sure to do your homework as to whether the BIOS will need an update to work. In many cases boards like that are presumed to being used with 10th gen and then before the 'upgrade' to 11th the user would update the BIOS to required level.

If this is purely a budget driven choice I don't think going 11th gen is a bad idea. It may be worthwhile to try and squeeze out enough in budget to go 12th gen, however there are some questions in the breeze concerning how that is going to play out in regard to traditional future upgrade path. 12th gen is the 'start' of DDR5 support, although mobo manufacturers made the DDR4 an option. I do not know if that will be the case with the presumed...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If you are opting to go with a 4xx chipset on 11th gen make sure to do your homework as to whether the BIOS will need an update to work. In many cases boards like that are presumed to being used with 10th gen and then before the 'upgrade' to 11th the user would update the BIOS to required level.

If this is purely a budget driven choice I don't think going 11th gen is a bad idea. It may be worthwhile to try and squeeze out enough in budget to go 12th gen, however there are some questions in the breeze concerning how that is going to play out in regard to traditional future upgrade path. 12th gen is the 'start' of DDR5 support, although mobo manufacturers made the DDR4 an option. I do not know if that will be the case with the presumed 13th gen which may be a valid upgrade choice down the road.

In regard to RAM speed, Intel doesn't take the performance hit that AMD does regarding frequency. Chances are that you would not notice.

Reactions: cottoneyesergo
Solution
Hello everyone.

I was looking to upgrade my old a8-6600k which served me well over the years and i5 10400f caught my eye for a while back. After some digging around, i decided to go for i5 11400f, there's basically no price difference between them and I thought why not go for the newer gen? Anyways sorry I'm getting sidetracked. The list below are the MoBos I've picked for 10400f earlier:

MSI H410M-A PRO

MSI B460M Pro-VDH WiFi

ASUS PRIME B460M-K

Are these still valid and useable with the 11400f? Both of the processors are 1200 pin if I'm not mistaken. 500 series of these mobos are a bit on the pricy side and I'd like to go with one of these ones above if possible. And if it's possible, which one would be better and more futureproof?

Thank you all in advance, have a nice day!

You do realize that the 10400f and the 11400f have no iGUP included, and that you will need to buy a GPU ?
If you are looking for a CPU with iGPU you need the 10400 or 11400 CPU WITHOUT THE f.

Here in Europe you can get a H510 mobo for between 69 and 90 euros; price in the USA should be the same amount in US$ and would be a far better choice than a 400 series mobo (no BIOS compatibility problems).
With both CPUs the max RAM speed would be 2666MT, so no need to buy more expensive ram

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
You do realize that the 10400f and the 11400f have no iGUP included, and that you will need to buy a GPU ?
If you are looking for a CPU with iGPU you need the 10400 or 11400 CPU WITHOUT THE f.

Here in Europe you can get a H510 mobo for between 69 and 90 euros; price in the USA should be the same amount in US$ and would be a far better choice than a 400 series mobo (no BIOS compatibility problems).
With both CPUs the max RAM speed would be 2666MT, so no need to buy more expensive ram
Yes sir, I already have a gpu no problems there. As you said i have no intention to buy more than 3000 mhz ram so the 400 mhz there should not be much of a problem. If I have to deal with bios compatibility problems then I really should save up some more to get 500 series. Thank you so much for your input. So any 500 series versions of the boards I've previously stated is just fine?

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018

If this is purely a budget driven choice I don't think going 11th gen is a bad idea. It may be worthwhile to try and squeeze out enough in budget to go 12th gen, however there are some questions in the breeze concerning how that is going to play out in regard to traditional future upgrade path. 12th gen is the 'start' of DDR5 support, although mobo manufacturers made the DDR4 an option. I do not know if that will be the case with the presumed 13th gen which may be a valid upgrade choice down the road.

In regard to RAM speed, Intel doesn't take the performance hit that AMD does regarding frequency. Chances are that you would not notice.
Thank you for your input sir. Then maybe I should just try to save up some more for 5xx series of these boards. I really don't want to fiddle around with bios compatibility stuff. Any one of them should be fine for me you say? Any specific models do you recommend? Or I should just go with whichever I want?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thank you for your input sir. Then maybe I should just try to save up some more for 5xx series of these boards. I really don't want to fiddle around with bios compatibility stuff. Any one of them should be fine for me you say? Any specific models do you recommend? Or I should just go with whichever I want?

IMO there are a couple of features I look for first, which include 4x RAM slots, decide if you wish to have onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, number of SATA and/or M.2, secondary are considerations like color. Decide what build size format you are going for. Micro ATX are typically the least expensive motherboards and LOADS of cases will fit that format. Make sure to consider along with that aspect what future plans you might foresee concerning add in cards and such.

After making a rough decision on that go to your favorite retailer and pick a few you think fit the bill THEN go and look for reviews on those specific models, if such exist.

If you are dead set on an i5 of the xx400 class you won't need much by way of VRM unless you have plans to upgrade to an i7 or i9 later. Keep in mind that unless you choose a Z chipset you would not be able to OC a K skew CPU if that comes up later. In a lot of ways Intel (and AMD) have made overclocking a moot point since they are already pretty optimized out of the box.

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
IMO there are a couple of features I look for first, which include 4x RAM slots, decide if you wish to have onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, number of SATA and/or M.2, secondary are considerations like color. Decide what build size format you are going for. Micro ATX are typically the least expensive motherboards and LOADS of cases will fit that format. Make sure to consider along with that aspect what future plans you might foresee concerning add in cards and such.

After making a rough decision on that go to your favorite retailer and pick a few you think fit the bill THEN go and look for reviews on those specific models, if such exist.

If you are dead set on an i5 of the xx400 class you won't need much by way of VRM unless you have plans to upgrade to an i7 or i9 later. Keep in mind that unless you choose a Z chipset you would not be able to OC a K skew CPU if that comes up later. In a lot of ways Intel (and AMD) have made overclocking a moot point since they are already pretty optimized out of the box.
Actually more than 2 sata slots ( I have a 2 TB hdd and a 500 GB ssd right now) and an m.2 slot because I plan on buying one, would be great. I dont really care about onboard wifi and such. 4 ram slots are mandatory IMO. I will definitely choose a 500 series board keeping these in mind. Thank you so much for everything sir you helped me out a great deal I really appreciate it.