Question Looking for a card to support six monitors

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
I see this was asked a couple of years ago, but I figured I would try again in case some new cards have come on the market.

I have an i3 Linux setup that I'm looking to upgrade from three monitors to six.

Current components:

Component
Manufacturer
Product
Motherboard​
ASUS​
H110M-K​
CPU​
Intel​
Intel i3-7100 @ 3.90 Ghz​
GPU​
Nvidia​
Nvidia GK208B (GeForce GT 730)​
RAM​
Seagate​
8GiB DIMM DDR4 Synchronous 2400 Mhz​

I'm looking for a card that will support six outputs. I've read about daisy-chaining Display Link outputs but am always wary of compatibility issues with anything Ubuntu-related, so figure that a card with six dedicated slots would be my best bet.

I see that Maltrox has one but that it has mixed reviews.

Any good options on the market?

Thanks in advance.

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Jun 25, 2019
Your system sounds pretty outdated as a whole and you should probably replace more than just the GPU but you should look into SLI/CrossFire so that you have 2 gpus to give three monitors each or even more cards to distribute it however you want. Although this would mean having to get a motherboard that supports multiple cards which is pretty standard nowadays and could be found for around $120 usd

drosehill

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Your system sounds pretty outdated as a whole and you should probably replace more than just the GPU but you should look into SLI/CrossFire so that you have 2 gpus to give three monitors each or even more cards to distribute it however you want. Although this would mean having to get a motherboard that supports multiple cards which is pretty standard nowadays and could be found for around $120 usd so (gi

Yeah, it was the first rig I had had built (there's a computer shop where I live that basically lets you chose the components and then assembles it according to your spec; I asked them to put together the most functional stuff that would work but wasn't thinking in terms of motherboards / more than 3 monitors at the time).

It was both a budget build and not something I intended to last me more than a few years. At the same time, all I really do is document editing. Given that I also have 16 GB of RAM and that it's running a pretty lightweight Linux distro, I haven't run into any performance issues with it at all.

For the rig that's going to house the 6 outputs, I'm going to go for a better motherboard (2 x PCI-Express), add the second GPU, and stick in either an i5 or i7. Probably don't need to increase the RAM.