[SOLVED] Looking for a case and cooler optimized for noise/performance

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Okay so here's my issue obviously I have tried to do some extra research myself but its so hard finding coolers and also cases for a decent price but silent and that perform well.

I am looking for a new case to put my system in since the one I have now is beaten up and old, I don't need a side panel because it is sat under my desk so if it reduces cost getting a non side panel that's perfectly okay. Secondly I would like to cut down on as much noise as possible as even with headphones on my pc is very loud mainly my cpu as my gpu is a 1070Ti gigabyte 3 fan so the fans either do not spin or are very low RPM as I have not and don't wish to overclock as of yet. For reference the noise level is about 67dB as of writing this and only doing that on my pc.

My system is as follows:
Ryzen 5 - 1600x @3.9GHz (Sound Level/RPM on cpu didn't increase that much as the temps only increased around 4-7Degrees Celcius)
16gb DDR4 RAM
Asrock AB350M
1070Ti 8GB Gigabyte
Corsair TX-M Series 650Watt 80Plus

Current case and CPU cooler:
CiT Spectre Case
Gammaxx 400

Thanks for anyone that gives me suggestions :)

Solution
A cryorig h7 is a very nice cooler. You could get the h5 universal. For simmilar performance if you want no ram interference.https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA4UF2DZ6565?ignorebbr=true&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile--pla-CRYOSTORE--CPU+Cooling-_-9SIA4UF2DZ6565&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwmq3kBRB_EiwAJkNDp4B8TdVzwI1K0ukoUt2b_8VtsOAF6ajlkyBMc2fsOVBEh8cYRdiIjxoCTogQAvD_BwE
I was thinking of the Meshify C too. Of course, the standard for quiet computing is the Fractal R5/R6. No experience with the Corsair 275Q or 400Q, but worth some research.

IMO, dust build-up is more a function of air flow, cubic feet per minute going through the case. The more fans and the greater RPM's, the more dust. Of course, filters help some.

Do you really mean that you don't want a side panel, or do you mean you don't need a glass side panel?

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
I was thinking of the Meshify C too. Of course, the standard for quiet computing is the Fractal R5/R6. No experience with the Corsair 275Q or 400Q, but worth some research.

IMO, dust build-up is more a function of air flow, cubic feet per minute going through the case. The more fans and the greater RPM's, the more dust. Of course, filters help some.

Do you really mean that you don't want a side panel, or do you mean you don't need a glass side panel?
I don't need a side panel. I will have a look at the fractal R5/6 as I am focused on silence but also some performance but that being said with the meshify C I could just keep fans at lower RPM.

I don't know any cases that come without a side panel (except for a workbench and maybe a few, expensive futuristic cases), then there is the dust, lack of noise damping, etc. If you are going to leave the main side panel (front of MB) off, then any case will do since quiet cases use the panels and damping to lower the noise.

The Corsair 400Q looks pretty good to me as I think it is a bit less expensive than the R5/R6. He didn't check the air flow, but the front vents look sufficiently wide.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6mkhLXzqE[/URL]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6mkhLXzqE[/URL]

The R5/R6 look larger, though I did not check the measurements, and a larger case will generally be cooler since there is more room inside to dissipate the heat.

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Looks good! Have a look at the Scythe Mugen Rev. B (SCMG-510.) it's quiet and comes with a really high quality fan. An alternate choice would be the Thermalright Macho Rev.B, also very quiet. Make sure your RAM fits with both of these.
The Scythe looks very good and apparently as you stated it comes with a very quiet fan. While doing my own research before posting this thread I considered using an AIO would this be a good suggestion or not?

You would really have to ask someone else about that. I'm an air cooler kind of guy! The cheaper AIO's have pump noise to contend with. There's always the risk of leaks and most people recommend replacing them approx. every 3 years to avoid leaks, pump failure, etc.

If you don't mind spending more for a premium air cooler, there's also the Noctua NH-U14s. I doubt it will cool any better than the ones above, but it's really a quality build with a 6 year warranty.

Last edited:
I'm partial to a beefy air coolers aswell. They are much simpler and have less parts to make noise.

Aios have 2 or 4 fans (240mm aios are minimum since 120 are useless) and aios have somewhat noisy pumps. Aios also have a limited life span of 3-4 years, before the pumps die or they leak. Leaking aios can kill systems.

Nicer air coolers will have a big heatsync and 1 or 2 fans. Nicer air coolers at idle are completely silent as the fans dont need to run at all. Under load most air coolers are a low pitch for an overall quiet experience. Air coolers also rarily leak or fail as long as the fan arent blocked by dust.

Last edited:

iTzVulcan

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
I'm partial to a beefy air coolers aswell. They are much simpler and have less parts to make noise.

Aios have 2 or 4 fans (240mm aios are minimum since 120 are useless) and aios have somewhat noisy pumps. Aios also have a limited life span of 3-4 years, before the pumps die or they leak. Leaking aios can kill systems.

Nicer air coolers will have a big heatsync and 1 or 2 fans. Nicer air coolers at idle are completely silent as the fans dont need to run at all. Under load most air coolers are a low pitch for an overall quiet experience. Air coolers also rarily leak or fail as long as the fan arent blocked by dust.
What beefy air cooler would you suggest as I don't think I will have any ram clearance issues so what would you suggest

A cryorig h7 is a very nice cooler. You could get the h5 universal. For simmilar performance if you want no ram interference.https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA4UF2DZ6565?ignorebbr=true&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile--pla-CRYOSTORE--CPU+Cooling-_-9SIA4UF2DZ6565&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwmq3kBRB_EiwAJkNDp4B8TdVzwI1K0ukoUt2b_8VtsOAF6ajlkyBMc2fsOVBEh8cYRdiIjxoCTogQAvD_BwE

Solution