[SOLVED] Looking for a cheap and reliable motherboard with an LGA 1151 socket

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarFirestorm

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
I was looking to upgrade from my current processor and the Intel Core i5 9600k seemed like a good choice that isn't too expensive. The problem is that my current motherboard has a FM2+ socket, so I'll need to replace my motherboard. I don't plan on overclocking so I don't need a motherboard designed with that in mind, just something reliable with a LGA 1151 socket that will support a 9th Gen i5. All the motherboards I looked at were £100+ so ideally something that's not that expensive would be great, but I don't know where to start.

LunarFirestorm

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
There is no setting called Load XMP Setting under DRAM Timing Configuration, just a setting called DRAM Tweaker at the very top of that menu. Either way in that option I chose the XMP 1 profile that is matched to my RAM speed. The problem now is that even though the bios says the target memory speed is 3200MHz when I launch the computer it's still running at 2666MHz which is strange.

I should also note that I updated the bios to the latest version. That might be why the settings are different.

Sorry for the late reply, I ended up going to sleep after I made my last comment, I'll start with the temperatures first though.

Anyway I downloaded HWiNFO64, went onto the sensors, and I still have the same problem with the motherboard temperature. Is it possible that there is a faulty sensor on the motherboard? I find it hard to believe that all the temperatures on the motherboard sit around 30°C or less when idle but there's something on the motherboard that's around 100°C constantly...

Here's a picture of the motherboard temps on HWiNFO64: http://prntscr.com/n54gm2
That erroneous temperature reading is due to an unused temperature sensor input on the Nuvoton NCT6791D Super I/O chip. You can ignore it.

There is no setting called Load XMP Setting under DRAM Timing Configuration, just a setting called DRAM Tweaker at the very top of that menu. Either way in that option I chose the XMP 1 profile that is matched to my RAM speed. The problem now is that even though the bios says the target memory speed is 3200MHz when I launch the computer it's still running at 2666MHz which is strange.

I should also note that I updated the bios to the latest version. That might be why the settings are different.
The maximum RAM speed, that the ASRock B365M Pro4 can run at, is 2666 MHz. You can still use DIMMs with a higher speed rating but the motherboard still limits the maximum RAM speed to 2666 MHz.

You would need to use a Z series Intel chipset motherboard, like the Intel Z390, if you want to be able to use the maximum supported speed of your DDR4 3200 MHz DIMMs. Any memory speed over the JEDEC standard 2666 MHz is considered to be overclocked. Your original requirement was that you weren't going to overclock.

Last edited:

LunarFirestorm

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
That erroneous temperature reading is due to an unused temperature sensor input on the Nuvoton NCT6791D Super I/O chip. You can ignore it.
It's not accurate ignore it.
Thanks for the information, I was worried about it haha.

The maximum RAM speed, that the ASRock B365M Pro4 can run at, is 2666 MHz. You can still use DIMMs with a higher speed rating but the motherboard still limits the maximum RAM speed to 2666 MHz.

You would need to use a Z series Intel chipset motherboard, like the Intel Z390, if you want to be able to use the maximum supported speed of your DDR4 3200 MHz DIMMs. Any memory speed over the JEDEC standard 2666 MHz is considered to be overclocked. Your original requirement was that you weren't going to overclock.
It's not a problem, 2666MHz is still a high speed, I just thought XMP allowed you to run ram at its intended speed no matter what motherboard or CPU you are using.

Anyway I think that's me done with the questions, but as I mentioned before I'll update if I have any problems and need any help, and again thanks for the help!